Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All the recommendations for early Neo games

KOF Referee

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleford View Post
    Not just shitting on it. Taking a gigantic steaming diarrhoea dump on it.

Agreed. Last Resort is solid and I enjoy it as much as Ghost Pilots. Yes to the earlier recommendation on League Bowling...not the best graphics but a lot of fun with a group, especially using the link cable.

Hey fake account, your opinion is worthless
    I want the one I can't have and it's driving me mad

Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    Hey fake account, your opinion is worthless

Guess what.......

..............so is your post in this thread.....

I'm trying to fix a legit problem here....piss poor game recommendations. Not sure why Magician Lord gets some many dicks hard.
    "I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?"

Mag Lord isn't as bad as you say. Are you getting stuck at a certain part? The game isn't very hard and the stages are pretty unique visually. I dig the music too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    He can't even tell the difference between shopping in a store and watching a fictional mad max movie. He thinks he saw Tina Turner working there.

Amano's Drinking Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Mag Lord isn't as bad as you say. Are you getting stuck at a certain part? The game isn't very hard and the stages are pretty unique visually. I dig the music too.
    I've read that Magician Lord is even harder than Super Ghouls N' Ghosts- is that true? I've played Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, and it's the hardest platformer I've ever played- mainly because you can't move around when you jump.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

Why So Many X's?

A lot of early Neo Geo games just feel “okay” to me. Magician Lord I want to like but that kind of side scroller doesn’t really seem to pull me in.

A game I really want to like is Cyber Lip. I love the box art. And the backgrounds are great and so are the bosses. But the main characters and enemies are all so goofy looking. And it plays a little slow compared to Contra games from that time frame.

Southtown Streetwalker

I used to ignore early Neo games like any n00b out there. It changed drastically, once Everdrives appeared. First I discovered launch games for the Engine and Mega Drive, then came the NeoSD. It was a great experience, supported also by ng.com and the possibility to talk about those games. I'm now at a point where I think, that it's just a matter of time you pour into playing any particular title and how open your mind is, but I agree, that time can be scarce.

Arcade games are less beginner friendly, because of their difficulty and secrets, which you have to discover stubbornly by try & error or a good research. It's worth the effort, though. You won't get far in 8Man, if you don't know that using the two-button special is key. The same can be said about Sengoku 2, which is basically a one-move game, as asid once described it. Cyber-Lip demands a careful schedule when and which weapon you should take and/or reload and where you should use it. The high-jump is important to master, too. Once done, a one credit clear is at hand. Using kicks instead of punches makes Burning Fight accessible, Elta's secret is jumping, not walking... etc. etc.

To cut a long story short, my recommendations for early Neo Geo games: (1990) NAM-1975, Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, League Bowling. (1991) Sengoku, Blue's Journey, Alpha Mission II, Burning Fight, Crossed Swords, 8Man, Fatal Fury. (1992) Mutation Nation, Last Resort, Ninja Commando, Andro Dunos, Art of Fighting & Viewpoint.

Hardened Shock Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
    I've read that Magician Lord is even harder than Super Ghouls N' Ghosts- is that true? I've played Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, and it's the hardest platformer I've ever played- mainly because you can't move around when you jump.
    Im gonna say no. I haven't completed either game but have got quite far in Magician Lord. There's a good playthrough vid of ML by exmosquito on YouTube, about 20 mins long I think

The music of Magician Lord blasting out a cab is something else.
    Last edited by thermaltreasure; 11-07-2019 at 04:06 AM.

-餓狼伝説弟子-

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    I used to ignore early Neo games like any n00b out there. It changed drastically, once Everdrives appeared. First I discovered launch games for the Engine and Mega Drive, then came the NeoSD. It was a great experience, supported also by ng.com and the possibility to talk about those games. I'm now at a point where I think, that it's just a matter of time you pour into playing any particular title and how open your mind is, but I agree, that time can be scarce.

Arcade games are less beginner friendly, because of their difficulty and secrets, which you have to discover stubbornly by try & error or a good research. It's worth the effort, though. You won't get far in 8Man, if you don't know that using the two-button special is key. The same can be said about Sengoku 2, which is basically a one-move game, as asid once described it. Cyber-Lip demands a careful schedule when and which weapon you should take and/or reload and where you should use it. The high-jump is important to master, too. Once done, a one credit clear is at hand. Using kicks instead of punches makes Burning Fight accessible, Elta's secret is jumping, not walking... etc. etc.

To cut a long story short, my recommendations for early Neo Geo games: (1990) NAM-1975, Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, League Bowling. (1991) Sengoku, Blue's Journey, Alpha Mission II, Burning Fight, Crossed Swords, 8Man, Fatal Fury. (1992) Mutation Nation, Last Resort, Ninja Commando, Andro Dunos, Art of Fighting & Viewpoint.
    This. This is a man of taste.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Another Striker

If we are talking about 94 and earlier....
    Has no one said Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble yet?? Cheap and addictive.

Here is a Dr. Seuss motto.
    "Get yourself a $500 NeoSD and call it a day. Don't participate in dick measuring contests here. That's pretty gay."
    Last edited by Theo Deo Di Bisexual; 11-08-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Nam-75

Kula's Diamond
    Was once known as Aaron D. Oh... You didn't know me then either?

How are you gonna try to take down Magician Lord? Too tough for you, I guess? It will probably always be my favorite Neo Geo game. It has been in one of my systems since I got it.

Also, World Heroes and World Heroes 2 are super underrated, if you ask me. Compared to other fighters around that time, they stand up well today.

Lastly, why hasn't anybody mentioned Fatal Fury Special? If I could only pick one game from before 1994, other than Magician Lord, I would probably pick this.
    State of Yo

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by Voivodian83 View Post
    "Get yourself a $500 NeoSD and call it a day. Don't participate in dick measuring contests here. That's pretty gay."
    I thought you didn't like it here David. Why did you decide to come back?

I wish my name
    IRL... Was Rich.
    SCOOPIN' USA!
    Isle of the Vewlix, in the Castle of Scoops

Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I thought you didn't like it here David. Why did you decide to come back?
    Because he couldn’t handle FB. He’s trying to find somewhere to get his need for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiso View Post
    Nobody cares what you think, Saner.

Nobody.

Unholy Custom Rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Voivodian83 View Post
    Hello David

The Unholy Trinity

Nam-75. I also enjoy king of the monsters still.

Thread Information