Did a MVS mahjong controller ever came out ?

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi
Have we ever heard (or seen) such a device or cabinet ? There are lots of MVS mahjong carts available, so... what were they played with ?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
That "Neo Geo collector" guy on Twitter is obsessed with them and has recently purchased one & posted pics, yes they do exist.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I thought the mahjong games could be played with a joystick (but the mahjong controller is better)?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I also have one for my Super Neo 29. I'll share a pic when I can dig it out.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
1AUFsmH.jpg

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
That's for sure interesting, I had never seen that before neither. Pics added to my Neo folder, thx a lot :)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've never understood the fascination with the Neo mahjong stuff, outside of being collectible. The games are "meh" at best. Way better mahjong elsewhere.
The controller itself is interesting just because there weren't many official accessories released for Neo Geo; especially not ones with a whole different control layout.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I saw a pic of a shop in Japan with a few of them boxed for sale, I'd say they are rare but gettable

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
A lot of the mobos have controller ports on them. I'd assume you could use a home console mahjong controller that way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Why does the mahjong controller have most of the keys all arranged in a single long row? Is mahjong played slower than what you would do with a typing keyboard? It looks like a controller you'd use by using just your index fingers, like old folks who never learned to keyboard type.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nothing excites me more than mahjong controllers, I am literally hard as a rock right now.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Is mahjong a fun game to play? I wouldn't know, I haven't played it.
Perhaps somebody could do a translation for the mahjong games, just like they have with Samurai Spirits RPG.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A lot of the mobos have controller ports on them. I'd assume you could use a home console mahjong controller that way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, I agree it probably works. Maybe someone can confirm.

Perhaps somebody could do a translation for the mahjong games, just like they have with Samurai Spirits RPG.
Meh. Unless you grew up with it. It's just a shame there are so many releases many can't enjoy. There are some tutorials that teach you to play on Youtube.

Any translation would really only be for the story. Mahjong itself requires very little Japanese to actually play. You just need to learn the rules.

Last edited:

Shackleford

Banned
wow! I've actually never seen that before.

I've never understood the fascination with the Neo mahjong stuff, outside of being collectible. The games are "meh" at best. Way better mahjong elsewhere.

Never ran across one of those either.

Not surprised....the mahjong games are shit and it's ridiculous what the AES controller versions can bring.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Why does the mahjong controller have most of the keys all arranged in a single long row? Is mahjong played slower than what you would do with a typing keyboard? It looks like a controller you'd use by using just your index fingers, like old folks who never learned to keyboard type.

This is not Typing of the Dead, what the fuck dude. Searching "Mahjong" on google would have immediately answered your question.

mah-jong-photo-graphic.jpg

The_jake

n00b

It’s ok. Popular in senior communities. THe fact they made a controller for it is probably the most interesting part of the Neo games that came out.

Last edited:

The_jake

n00b
Not to mention there were no Neo mahjong games past say 1991.
wow! I've actually never seen that before.