Gear shift nitro button repair question (Taito Chase HQ & similar)

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I know it's a shot in the dark that anyone here as dealt with this, but here goes.

I have a cab I recently picked up (Taito's Double Axle aka Power Wheels) that uses a similar gearshift that's in Chase HQ, SCI, and some other driving cabs, one that has a nitro button on the side of the shifter. The button on mine isn't working and I can't seem to figure out how to get to the insides of the shifter handle to check the microswitch.

Even if I completely disassemble the shifter mech (which o have not done), that still doesn't help with how to separate the two halves of the shifter handle to get to the button.

They have generic aftermarket shifters available but the one on this game is rather unique in that it has the normal up/down for high/low, then it shifts to the right for reverse.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Photos? Not familiar with the particular piece of hardware but if it has seams it should separate. Sometimes after years of use and gunk it can be hard to take things apart.

My guess, sight unseen, is either the microswitch is dead, or one of the leads has a cracked/cold solder joint, or has completely broken free.

Shouldn't be a difficult repair once you get into the unit though

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Finally managed to have the time and inclination to repair this, figured I'd post a follow up in case anyone runs into a similar situation.

shifter.jpg

Found a diagram of these gear shifts, the button has a smooth sleeve that just slides into the side of top handle. There's no threads, no bolts, once it slides in the only way to remove it is slide it back out. I couldn't do that because I couldn't get a grip where you have no edge to grab ahold of, and I'm sure having 30 years worth of grime built up didn't help matters either.

Wound up getting a spade bit and just drilling the button out and removing it. Button wasn't the issue, the leads had come off the terminals, but I couldn't get to the button without destroying it.

The replacement is a special button just for these shifters that's still carried by Happ for around $10 USD. Instead I used a cheap knockoff Sanwa button that fit perfectly and worked like a charm.