MVS MV-1FZ watchdog

siopoudis

n00b
Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem with an MVS MV-1FZ I recently purchased. I read extensively here looking for a solution to my problem but I can't figure it out.

I cleaned and did the 5v only mod to the board. I have already done this to another MV-1FZ that's working fine, so I'm certain that I've done this right.

I am also using a Unibios 3.3 that I've burned myself, which is also working.

To the issue now, the MVS boots up just fine without a cartridge to the crosshatch. I have no trouble with anything, calendar works, did a memory test for 10 minutes.

I also tried the DiagROM. All tests pass, individual tests pass, too. Memory test passes there as well for 10 minutes.

As soon as I put in a cartridge, either an original, or a 161 in 1, I get the watchdog with a quick reset and clicking. (Cartridges also working on the other MVS).

Anything I can try, or focus on?

Thanks!

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Did the issue happen before the 5v only mod?

Some random things I would try/check

- check for corrosion on the interconnect between the main board and the slot board
- check that your 5V rail is actually 5V
- sounds like you have another MV-1FZ? try swapping the slot board to narrow down if the issue is on the slot or main board.
- boot with the diag bios and a game inserted. If it watchdogs it maybe an indication the program rom(s) on the cart are enabled when they shouldnt be causing a data bus conflict and crash/watchdog.

siopoudis

n00b
Hey, thanks for the reply!

- I have checked for corrosion, there isn't any. I have already cleaned all pins on both the riser card and inside the slot.
- 5V rail is 5.01v on the controller port. Using a 3a 5v adapter (the same one from the other 1FZ)
- I have not tried this yet, will give it a go.
- Booting with the diag bios rom and a cart triggers the watchdog issue. No cart = no watchdog issue.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Swap the working cartridge slot from your other MV1Z onto the faulty one and see what happens that way we can rule out it being a problem with the cartridge slot. reads like connections touching that shouldn't be.
BB