Analogue Co announces Analogue Pocket w/ NGPC support

rodolfocm

Another Striker
I'm debating on the dock. I have a GameCube Gameboy player, so this would just be extra stuff. I know I'll get at least the base system and NGPC adapter at a minimum, but the dock depends on how much extra
I will probably get it if it's not too expensive. They should have the launch date already, this is getting annoying.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I will probably get it if it's not too expensive. They should have the launch date already, this is getting annoying.

It’s better than their old style of “HERES a new product - preorder it now” like they did with the Mega SG.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I wonder if they could do Wonderswan too. Instead of rotating the system the screen could just change orientation on the device. There are enough buttons to make it work.

I read about this in Retro Gamer and very interested if they can add an attachment NGPC style clicky d-pad. Otherwise, I can only really see playing Card Fighters Clash regularly on this. Part of what made fighters magic on the NGPC were the amazing controls.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm sure the Corona virus has put them behind I'd imagine. I am curious though...they clearly did a huge press release push on this thing in October of last year. Seems kind of odd to build that momentum and then do nothing with it. April would be 6 months since the internet was a buzz about it.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I'm sure the Corona virus has put them behind I'd imagine. I am curious though...they clearly did a huge press release push on this thing in October of last year. Seems kind of odd to build that momentum and then do nothing with it. April would be 6 months since the internet was a buzz about it.

I’m positive the coronavirus has made them have issues with any production. A lot of factories aren’t operational at all. Foxconn just moved to 30% normal functionality this week. Can’t imagine smaller factories doing anything right now

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I was excited for this until I modded my GBA and NGPC for less than what this is going for. That and the preorder craziness just put me off, but thats most of this hobby now

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I was excited for this until I modded my GBA and NGPC for less than what this is going for. That and the preorder craziness just put me off, but thats most of this hobby now
same - these new IPS screens with pixel effects, etc are (y) So, the FOMO for these Analogue super limited OMG deleted from my cart while checking out elijah wood couldn't get one you guys chip shortages not at all false scarcity to keep baller status, is much much less now.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Yeah, I'm sticking to getting the IPS screens instead. That said, used GBAs and NGPCs are also rising in price...

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm sticking to getting the IPS screens instead. That said, used GBAs and NGPCs are also rising in price...
Neckbeards and hipsters who keep thinking they're starting a "business" modding them, and in the process destroy the used system aftermarket are to blame. Not to mention popularity spikes in the platforms. But I still blame aspirational nerds trying to make money.

But positive side effect is all kinds of modding accessories. So, there's that.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Not a fan of the OG Gameboy design. I wish it was more like the GBA, Lynx, Game Gear, NGPC.

I hope it does well so a second version gets released.

As of now I'm not interested.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Neckbeards and hipsters who keep thinking they're starting a "business" modding them, and in the process destroy the used system aftermarket are to blame. Not to mention popularity spikes in the platforms. But I still blame aspirational nerds trying to make money.

But positive side effect is all kinds of modding accessories. So, there's that.
its fucking wild on twitter seeing all those known modders reselling ngpc with cheap aliexpress ips and selling them for $150 of pure profit.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Not a fan of the OG Gameboy design. I wish it was more like the GBA, Lynx, Game Gear, NGPC.

I hope it does well so a second version gets released.

As of now I'm not interested.
Just like I think I've used my switch ONE SINGLE TIME undocked since I've owned it (I know others are the exact opposite and have used it like one single time docked too...), I'm most likely going to use the Analog Pocket docked most of the time, with whatever wireless controller strikes my fancy (probably something 8BitDo), so it's handheld design doesn't really matter much to me.

I'm hoping I'll get more travel use out of the Pocket, as it will actually be able to fit inside my jeans pocket (unlike the Switch which is WAY too large) so I can easily bring it to super fun places like the doctor's office or the DMV, but I have a feeling it's still going to be docked the majority of the time because playing it on my 65" TV on my comfy couch kinda beats anything else...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It's not doing anything I don't already have consoles or handhelds doing already. It's a very cool concept but it won't replace anything I have. It would just add to the clutter, lol.

I will keep an eye on it, maybe even buy one down the road. Like the dock use, can it run xbox or wii games because the consoles I have run what this offers. The handhelds I have are more comfortable than this looks. I get he's hoping everyone is reminded of the og Gameboy and will buy it. I think he should have went with comfort over style.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I'm excited for this (I got a first round pre-order) - not so much because of the portability, but specifically because of the dock. I have other ways to play all my classic handheld games on the big screen, sure, but I do like the convenience of having one FPGA console to handle the entire catalog of games I have without having to switch devices. The portability is just a bonus. The included music generator is also a nice touch as I have enjoyed the Korg line on the DS over the years and the Pocket Operator handheld music gadgets. Will also be nice to get the PC Engine adaptor when it's released so I can play my PCE library on the go without having to worry with an expensive and finicky Turbo Express.

I haven't liked all the Analogue solutions (I hate the NT Mini - much prefer my AVS), but this one has many features that make it worth it for me personally.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
A little review by nintendolife

- - -

Here is another review, with a long screen rendering comparaison : original hardware vs Analogue Pocket

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
The gamegear carts stand tallest because sega shits on yall fuckin cowards 🤣
Fo real doe, where is the wonderswan support?