Analogue Co announces Analogue Pocket w/ NGPC support

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Kevtris is a pretty smart guy who deserves the success he's had. He's not the whole company though. Some things they do I like, some things they do annoy me.

The only company that I truly can't stand in this "retro" boom is Limited Run and similar companies. I get that their whole model is based on limiting supply to make money from sales, but it just reeks of bullshit to the nth degree.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I'd like to get one. Bummer there's no WonderSwan support. That would have been perfect.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Kevtris is a pretty smart guy who deserves the success he's had. He's not the whole company though. Some things they do I like, some things they do annoy me.

The only company that I truly can't stand in this "retro" boom is Limited Run and similar companies. I get that their whole model is based on limiting supply to make money from sales, but it just reeks of bullshit to the nth degree.

Limited Run just ends up being an eBay mess. I swear 50% plus of the purchasers of their games are flippers. LRG needs to do something about the entire mess that is their ordering system. 9 out of 10 times if I want something, and click order right when things open up, they are out of stock or the page won't load. My guess is there are a lot of bots behind the ordering with the intent of targeting the second hand resale market almost immediately

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
This thing has potential, especially with the dock so you can play it on TV. I think the price is fair for what you get, but I will wait a bit to see what other devs can do with the 2nd FPGA.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm more excited at the potential for NGPC games via an adapter. I won't have to mod my NGPC with a weird screen or anything, it would be much easier. I wonder if the buttons can be mapped z as it has 4 face buttons but the GB line only has 2 of them.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
definitely in, honestly sad I sold all my Lynx shit after seeing this. But hopefully, it will follow previous releases and be jailbroke for teh romz. This is definitely something I'll go ahead and pay bloated shipping costs for.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fucking cocksmoker still hasn't shipped my SF Analog after 8 months.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm getting this shit. I'm a GB fanatic and you can sample music and sound effects directly from it?! Plus it has a link cable port! Holy crap! How much do you think each module will cost? The white one is sexy af. Still can't tell if its plastic or metal though.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
They forgot the HuCARD adaptor...

Now that would really make this thing perfect. I recently bought one of those portable PCE’s and it is absolutely horrible.

I hope that they will at least add the core, so that it can play PCE roms.

Whatever comes of it, this is definitely a buy for me

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Never a big gameboy fan but since this thing will get hacked into oblivion I'm hoping for PCE support like many of you guys. If that happens, I'll buy one. Analogue's Mega SG and Super NT are absolutely fantastic as well.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
It is possible that this might get PC Engine/Turbo support since the MiSTer already has that core. It's just up to the developers to port it over, and if whether or not the FPGA inside this thing is powerful enough to run it.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
It's interesting that many posters mention that their main drive to get this is the NGPC and the option to play on the big screen via adapter. While this device might look like a nice option for GameBoy, Gamegear, etc I personally think the strongest point the NGPC had was the Control Stick. Only after playing some Alpha 3 on a PSP 2000 recently I realized that the stick on the NGPC wasn't only very good - it is insanely good. While Metal Slug and NTM will be quite ok, I cannot imagine this console can match the playability of MotM or similar.
Anyways - for covering most of the systems on the go this will do a good job.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
It's interesting that many posters mention that their main drive to get this is the NGPC and the option to play on the big screen via adapter. While this device might look like a nice option for GameBoy, Gamegear, etc I personally think the strongest point the NGPC had was the Control Stick. Only after playing some Alpha 3 on a PSP 2000 recently I realized that the stick on the NGPC wasn't only very good - it is insanely good. While Metal Slug and NTM will be quite ok, I cannot imagine this console can match the playability of MotM or similar.

I agree, playing NGPC games without its stick is just not the same, but you should be able to plug a stick into the dock for when you play on a TV at least.

bwi

20 Year Member

I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking this. What made the NGPC great was the stick.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Now that would really make this thing perfect. I recently bought one of those portable PCE’s and it is absolutely horrible.
The PC Engine GT/Turbo Express? It was an earth-shaking experience in its time. I don't think it's fair to judge it now.

Yeah, the NGP's thumbstick was a key part of the experience.

I agree, playing NGPC games without its stick is just not the same, but you should be able to plug a stick into the dock for when you play on a TV at least.

I thought this too. If the link cable was compatible with the NGPC software and you had a friend who also had an Analogue Pocket and dock, you could each have your own stick and output the video from one of the systems to the TV.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I want this just for the dock. If people port other cores to it, awesome. But just having a nice HD piece of hardware to play my handheld titles is worth it.

My MegaSG jail broken replaced my Genesis/MasterSystem/Game Gear. I’m at a point where I’d like To simplify my consoles as much as possible. And avoid using my OSSC so I don’t have to fuss with scaling settings as much either.