Analogue Co announces Analogue Pocket w/ NGPC support

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Very cool. I don’t own a game gear or lynx so I may pick one up just to play those titles

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
This is pretty sweet! I have a number of Lynx games, and despite having two of the consoles, it really isn't practical to play (I used to play it connected to an AC adapter, since it would eat through batteries like crazy). Even when not plugged in, it isn't very portable for a portable console. Plus, I could play all my NGPC games, and my whopping two GameBoy Color titles. ;)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd for sure buy that if the price is right. Nice it covers so many platforms

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Analogue finally makes a console I'm interested in. Wish they'd make one in the Game Gear form factor, that said Gameboy Pocket is one of my all-time favorite handhelds.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Day one. Yeah, mister is great and can do more but all the recent analogue stuff has been pretty great. Build quality is what really sells it for me—feels like you’re getting a real product and not something made out of the garage.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
This is very cool, but how does it effect the resale value of my Analogue Walnut CMVS?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Why would you put a 1600x1440 screen on a device intended to run games whose native resolutions are 320x240 or whatever?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Why would you put a 1600x1440 screen on a device intended to run games whose native resolutions are 320x240 or whatever?

Presumably so you can mess with all esoteric settings that video nerds seem to love. Probably a fuck of a lot easier to get a hold of than SD resolution screens.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
So you can scale all those different resolutions up with integer scaling. Practically any lower resolution can be availed up with no interpolation or shimmering or anything and be very close to filling the whole screen.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This product seems like a better product than the SNES / Genesis FPGA consoles. When you can just go RGB out of the back into an Upscaler, why do I really need a "new" console.

I can't imagine a ton of people are like "hmm I want to play SNES games again, lemme get that HDMI FPGA implimentation", and any collector probably already has RGB out and an upscaler.

Now a beautiful 4x3 LCD in a handheld that can play all these diverse systems? YES! No more need to mod backlights into handhelds, or install newer and better quality screens. $200 and you have the BEST possible quality screen for all these consoles?

That's a buy from me

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Hot damn. That hdmi support got me. Gonna need one of these for sure.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Presumably so you can mess with all esoteric settings that video nerds seem to love. Probably a fuck of a lot easier to get a hold of than SD resolution screens.
That second part makes a lot of sense, and I doubt 4x3 screens are that easy to find these days at all.

So you can scale all those different resolutions up with integer scaling. Practically any lower resolution can be availed up with no interpolation or shimmering or anything and be very close to filling the whole screen.
Can this be done without introducing significant lag? I didn't follow the FPGA consoles very much, but I'm sure that was studied.

Gaoh

New Challenger
emulator-based handhelds are one thing, but this simulates the original hardware supposedly

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
This little shit with the dock and the extra fpga board. Once I know they got some cores on that 2nd shit fired up, this may be the good shit.

Can give two tits about cartridges.

tangemo

New Challenger

The extra FPGA chip should lead to a bunch of stuff in the modding community and a higher res screen will give that more flexibility as well.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Another amazing product.

In before the parade of dumbass analogue haters.

I don't think it's hate, I think it's real criticism. I'm not a fan of the price and audience they were going for with the NES thing, but I was happy with the snes/genesis releases.

That being said, this product looks really cool, I may buy one on release.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
^read previous threads on prior AI releases. Hundreds of posts *criticizing the creator and not necessarily the product.

*criticizing in the old NG style, not the pussified version of criticism the last couple years.

**that arrow is for ruker

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
This thing should be awesome. Hopefully they don't charge more than $50 for the dock.