New Super Neo 29 Owner With Problem Cab

Yardley

n00b
Hi all, I just purchased a cab and had it shipped to me. Unfortunately it has quite a number of issues that were never disclosed to me. One of them being a modified wiring harness. There are cut cables and cables of different colors spliced together. I ran an input test and somehow most buttons work but player 2 start is permanently triggered and the game select button doesn't work.

Looking for some suggestions on how to go about fixing this problem. I could also use some help identifying my chassis so that I can order a cap kit. I can't find a model number anywhere. I know these came with a Hitachi GMK-29FS2 or Hitachi GMK-29FS3 but I'm not sure which one I have or if it matters. Link below to some pics for reference.

https://imgur.com/a/oMxWCbm

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Abelardo

n00b
Game select button will do nothing on a 1 slot system, there can only be one game.

Regarding the stuck p2 start button go under the control go under the control panel and see if by disconnecting it the problem goes away, if it does you need to clean or replace the button, if not then the start button is shorted to ground somewhere, you'll need to follow it and figure out where the short is.

About the disconnected wires the white/yellow seems to be the P1 select button, unused in the cab so no worries, the white/orange it's not clear where it goes but probably it's the P2 select button, unused in the cab as well, black cable is likely ground, see where it goes, it probably doesn't matter but if some buttons don't work then the problem could be they're using this ground wire so it needs to be grounded, if you determine it's useless cover it with electrical tape just to be safe, or find a way to connect it to ground.

Can't offer much advice on the chassis, if it's working and colors look good I'd probably leave it as is.

Google neo geo mvs jamma pinout to check all your connections, you should be able to figure out the problem with the non working buttons, good luck!

Abelardo

n00b
Actually the game select button I guess should be connected to jamma pin 26 (P1 select), right now it won't matter since you own a 1 slot system but if you get a multi slot system later you'd want to look into this to enable the game selection button.

Yardley

n00b
Game select button will do nothing on a 1 slot system, there can only be one game.

Regarding the stuck p2 start button go under the control go under the control panel and see if by disconnecting it the problem goes away, if it does you need to clean or replace the button, if not then the start button is shorted to ground somewhere, you'll need to follow it and figure out where the short is.

About the disconnected wires the white/yellow seems to be the P1 select button, unused in the cab so no worries, the white/orange it's not clear where it goes but probably it's the P2 select button, unused in the cab as well, black cable is likely ground, see where it goes, it probably doesn't matter but if some buttons don't work then the problem could be they're using this ground wire so it needs to be grounded, if you determine it's useless cover it with electrical tape just to be safe, or find a way to connect it to ground.

Can't offer much advice on the chassis, if it's working and colors look good I'd probably leave it as is.

Google neo geo mvs jamma pinout to check all your connections, you should be able to figure out the problem with the non working buttons, good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that the P2 start is stuck even with no buttons connected. The cab didn’t actually include the wiring harness for the buttons that connects to the main harness inside of the CP, I bought a repro on eBay. Because of this I didn’t know which button any of the cables were supposed to connect to so I opened the input test menu on the 1-slot and that’s when I noticed it was stuck. I understand the select button wouldn’t do anything on a one slot board but I believe it should register on the input test menu. I will look at the MVS jamma pinout per your suggestion.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You need to go through it wire by wire. The harness may have been hacked from MVS to JAMMA or vice versa. If the wiring is brittle, may as well replace the entire harness. They used shit quality wiring on these.

Yardley

n00b
You need to go through it wire by wire. The harness may have been hacked from MVS to JAMMA or vice versa. If the wiring is brittle, may as well replace the entire harness. They used shit quality wiring on these.

If anything it would be from JAMMA to MVS because the Super 29 Candy is wired for JAMMA stock and it came with a one slot. Where would I buy a replacement? I’d love to do that.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I was going to suggest buying all new wiring if you've already tested wire by wire and can't find an obvious solution.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If anything it would be from JAMMA to MVS because the Super 29 Candy is wired for JAMMA stock and it came with a one slot. Where would I buy a replacement? I’d love to do that.

Not sure, sorry. This is actually a project I've been meaning to get around to with my Super Neo 29 Candy. My cab was previously hacked from JAMMA to MVS. I rewired it back to JAMMA but the boy ain't right. Move around the harness and the voltage fluctuates. Pretty sure my Final Fight A board died as a result. The PSU probably needs recapped as well - a common problem with these so add that to your to-do list as well.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd just run an entirely new harness. Trying to diagnose crap wiring and fixing crap wiring is usually more work than just running an entirely new one to be honest

Yardley

n00b
I'd just run an entirely new harness. Trying to diagnose crap wiring and fixing crap wiring is usually more work than just running an entirely new one to be honest

I would love to but where can I buy a replacement harness?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ebay is where I usually buy arcade parts and wiring. There are tons of jamma harnesses, power supplies, etc there.

Yardley

n00b
Ebay is where I usually buy arcade parts and wiring. There are tons of jamma harnesses, power supplies, etc there.

Forgive my ignorance I am very new at this but would a generic JAMMA harness work? Wouldn't I need a specific Super Neo 29 harness?