Deep Clean an Arcade Power Supply...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So, still in the process of deep cleaning my Neo 4 cab. I'm now attempting to swap out the fan in the power supply since it's now not spinning.

Opened up the case and was greeted with this:

Neo.jpg

Mind you, it still worked prior to me taking it out of my cab. I just really wanted to replace the fan and put it back in.

I've tried just using an air duster to blow all that crap out, but it didn't work. It's caked in there. Might be some old moisture damage, since the side of the cab looked like it got soaked in something, but the particle board on the cab isn't spongy or anything.

Is it worth saving? I'm thinking of just spraying some cleaner and rinsing it clean with water. Stopping short of using a pressure washer, any other ideas to clean out the caked up garbage in there, or should I just break down and invest in a new power supply?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Spray it with isopropyl maybe??? Hit it with a Toothbrush after it has soaked for a while?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Me personally I would just get a new one at that point.
Its only a PSU after all and with that amount of shit in there you are bound to need to do some kind of repairs due to over heating.

Looks like you even have some dead insects in there??

If you want to try it though I would clear as much of it out with a clean stiff bristled paint brush and air. then hit it with contact cleaner or isopropanol and cotton buds.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Me personally I would just get a new one at that point.
Its only a PSU after all and with that amount of shit in there you are bound to need to do some kind of repairs due to over heating.

Looks like you even have some dead insects in there??

If you want to try it though I would clear as much of it out with a clean stiff bristled paint brush and air. then hit it with contact cleaner or isopropanol and cotton buds.

I had some time today and decided to try and spray the thing down with hot water today.

Here is the result:
IMG_20190929_113416.jpg

Pretty much night and day difference.

I hit it with compressed air immediately after spraying it down, making sure all components were hit with air: above, below, and in between, until it was kinda dry. I'm giving it a day or two to fully dry out before plugging it back in. Still gotta swap out the fan on it as well.

I do have a back up if this one decides to just up and die, but I'm trying to stay frugal with this clean-up.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
You can also dip it in rice for those 1-2 days, it's a nice natural demoisturizing.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I was always under the impression cleaning a board with water with large caps like that is not a good idea?

But then I guess there's no IC's, so maybe it's fine?

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I was always under the impression cleaning a board with water with large caps like that is not a good idea?

As long as there's no power (ie: all caps drained of power), there should be no problem with spraying down. I've cleaned most of my second hand consoles this way (tap the power button a few times while unplugged to drain the caps).

I'm about to put it back together and reinstall it. Hope things don't blow up.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I've cleaned/rebuilt several big power supplies for Blast Citys. Spray down with diluted simple green, scrub with a soft paint brush, rinse off with a hose and let dry for a couple days. Squeaky clean and ready to go back together.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

You can still have water ingress but the chance is low. If recapping the PSU it is often suggested to do it after cleaning.

Most people don't give a shit.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
You can still have water ingress but the chance is low. If recapping the PSU it is often suggested to do it after cleaning.
I should've, but since the caps looked like they weren't bulging, I just put it back together and called it good. I got a new fan in there and it roars!

Most people don't give a shit.
That'll be me.

FWIW, I reinstalled it and tested it. No fire, no explosions.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Awesome job and some great info as well.

I would reflow the soldering on those 3 wires going from the copper coil to the chassis board. Then again.. if I saw the same when I opened it I’d just replace it.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
I've used Auto Finesse interior detail spray in the past. Usually does the job