8Man aped Forgotten Worlds

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Due to unforeseen circumstances, an "e" was moved to a lower line leaving LoneSag alone... anyway, I'd buy that for a Zenny.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This morning I had a longplay of Forgotten Worlds (Lost Worlds for all the shitos out there) going on in the background and then I put on a longplay of Eightman and was reminded by this blatant ripoff.

Eightman is a real mess of a game but is pretty enjoyable, for me at least. It's like a B-movie in video game form.

Bobak wrote a review of the game a long time ago, back when I was really getting into Neo-Geo seriously it really got my curiosity. Can't link it because the main website is still stuck in 2000.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Forgotten Worlds is a fantastic game. 8man, not so much.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Good catch. But why "circa 2019" when it definitely is 2019?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Eightman is a real mess of a game but is pretty enjoyable, for me at least. It's like a B-movie in video game form.

No need to be modest, Eightman's a great game: it's a unique, early title with good production values. The backgrounds are very detailed, just look at all the cracks and bouldered concrete on the rooftop, where you fight Kozuma or the cool animation of the fallout wind blowing through the ruins after the initial explosions in the first stage. Our hero is also well drawn and animated for his size.

Your B-movie comparison is excellent. I could imagine the CD version of Eightman being pepped up with FMV cutscenes like in Shinobi Legions. Hehe, full of amateur actors dressed in silly costumes giving exaggerated expressions like in silent movies. Missed opportunity. BTW, I could also imagine, that this rip-off was intentional. SNK enjoyed teasing Capcom like that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
BTW, I could also imagine, that this rip-off was intentional. SNK enjoyed teasing Capcom like that.

Are you insinuating it was an homage? I like when video games get inspiration from anime - example being the bugs in Crystalis inspired by the ones in Nausicaa, or Heidern being inspired by The Colonel from Fist of the North Star. They don't feel cheap and become their own thing. But it's off-putting here because it's so blatantly copying the design (right down to the color scheme) and fight pattern. It doesn't feel respectful. To me, this is far from being a tongue-in-cheek jab like Dan.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Are you insinuating it was an homage?

Hmm... can't say for sure: respectful homage or sassy parody? In my opinion it's part of a long lasting conversation between Capcom and SNK, which they held through their video games. I always feel reminded of the Lexus bonus stage in SFII while shredding the double-decker in MS2's Hong-Kong stage and... did somebody mention Bonus-kun? Isn't Ryo & Robert just another way to say Ryu & Ken? Well, maybe we should ask Dan Hibiki for answers? Anyway, I'm certain these are more than just rip-offs and what we know is only the tip of the iceberg.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Forgotten worlds for the PCE CD is one of my favorite games from Capcom, right up there with Strider and it's weirdness.

8men is for one guy with prison wishes.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'd much rather play Forgotten Worlds than 8 Man that's for sure.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Sag, you should do an adult parody...8" Man in Forgotten Whores...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Bump.

I watched a longplay of Eightman today and was reminded of the comparison and then remembered I already made this thread.

I mean, come on! This is so blatant.

edit: wow, my thread title is a double entendre (non-sexual). To ape something means to copy it, but it also references Bobak's Eightman review where he said it sounds like the guy was saying Apeman on the title screen. Good one, circa-2019 LoneSage.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Classic sage post, what the hell are you doing watching a longplay of 8man at 4:33pm ?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I am curious about the image filename

never played either game.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Played forgotten worlds alot i liked the rotation shot although unique and killer on my 3finget placement when I was first playing the game.

Pretty sure another game copied this boss theme too or maybe not im sure I've seen it somwhere else too.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I thought the "riding elevator to get to giant boss while you're attacked by his limbs" thing was a gaming trope but I honestly can't remind myself of any game that does that right now. Hmm...

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I mentioned this in the Neo Alec review thread, but I honestly think Eight Man becomes more enjoyable when you learn the strategies to 1CC it. Split kick into crouching split kick cancels are mad satisfying and melt some bosses. It's not the most obvious means to approach the game and I wish more people would try that, but information about 1CC'ing Neo-Geo games is useless to like 98% of the people that post on this forum.

I do agree that Forgotten Worlds is a cooler game than Eight Man though, no contest

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I mentioned this in the Neo Alec review thread, but I honestly think Eight Man becomes more enjoyable when you learn the strategies to 1CC it. Split kick into crouching split kick cancels are mad satisfying and melt some bosses. It's not the most obvious means to approach the game and I wish more people would try that, but information about 1CC'ing Neo-Geo games is useless to like 98% of the people that post on this forum.

I do agree that Forgotten Worlds is a cooler game than Eight Man though, no contest
Next time i fire up my copy of eightman, i will try to learn your techniques. Its one of less than 20 aes games i own, and ive got no plans of ditching it. I would love to learn to 1cc it.