Modded Xbox (2001) and issues with ISO files

Whippy

Banned
Friends, I am having an issue that has been perplexing me for over a year, and I finally have given up. I will try to articulate it as best as I can however.

I am having "issues" trying to figure out how to transfer ISO files from my PC to the Xbox via FTP. It seems like a simple thing, and I know for sure 100% that I had done this 8+ years ago to load up the 250gb hard drive I installed. However, last spring, my back-up hard drive shit the bed, and it was all of the tools that I had used 8 years earlier to mod the Xbox, all of my notes on the process and all of the extra software for various things including the image file of the unmolested factory 8gb hdd.

Fast forward to right now. I Have a few ISO images of games. These games are larger than a standard DVD, which tells me that they are Dual layer DVDs. However, my system's CD drive is basically worthless. I can't burn a disc, and expect to be able to copy it to the HDD.

The internet is useless to a certain degree, as the Xbox modding "scene" has become much larger on the 360 & now thing new thing called the Xbox One. Finding good info on the 2001 units is watered down with info on the newer generations of systems.

My goal simply is to Transfer an ISO via FTP to the Xbox, however the ISO needs to be changed or altered to the files and formats that the Xbox can read on its F drive. I can't for the life of me figure out how I would do this. Another variable is that I don't know if the ISOs I have gotten are working, but I am fairly certain they are. Should I/Can I post a link to the places that I found these? Would that even help?

I am using the UnleashX dashboard, and have XBMC installed as a launchable app. I don't have any issue transferring appropriate files for the various emulators etc that I keep on the system. I just can't figure out how to get an ISO from the Image file to the appropriate file structure that the xbox recognizes.

I hope this is enough info that someone can point me in the right direction. If I had to take a guess, it has been 7+ years since I did this last and I might as well know nothing at this juncture. Any suggestions and pointers would be great.

Thanks again all

-W

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I use Xbmc and just transfer full isos with FileZilla. My box runs isos just fine, not sure what you are doing.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Xbox doesn’t read ISOs. You need to send the raw files over and on the menu have a folder per game with the .xbe

If you downloaded software as ISOs there is of software you can download which will convert that and simultaneously transfer it over FTP

Whippy

Banned
I use Xbmc and just transfer full isos with FileZilla. My box runs isos just fine, not sure what you are doing.
I will have to look into that shortly. I just got finished with some yard work. I found a nice board while I was cleaning, and decided to do some basic carpentry......
Xbox doesn’t read ISOs. You need to send the raw files over and on the menu have a folder per game with the .xbe

If you downloaded software as ISOs there is of software you can download which will convert that and simultaneously transfer it over FTP

In the last few hours, I Have tried both Qwix & c-box tools. Both do not recognize the ISO files I am trying to use, and now I question the files and their integrity. I have loaded them onto a virtual disc drive, and the computer goes through the intro followed by the "This is an Xbox game disc" warning screen. I can't totally write them off as bad files.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I will have to look into that shortly. I just got finished with some yard work. I found a nice board while I was cleaning, and decided to do some basic carpentry......

In the last few hours, I Have tried both Qwix & c-box tools. Both do not recognize the ISO files I am trying to use, and now I question the files and their integrity. I have loaded them onto a virtual disc drive, and the computer goes through the intro followed by the "This is an Xbox game disc" warning screen. I can't totally write them off as bad files.

I’ll look what my software is titled that can rip an ISO into proper files. I’ve always had issues ripping ISOs for Xbox. Just get the proper raw files.

Have you tried burning the ISO and seeing if your box can boot it? If it can, at that point you can rip it with your dashboard

Whippy

Banned
I’ll look what my software is titled that can rip an ISO into proper files. I’ve always had issues ripping ISOs for Xbox. Just get the proper raw files.

Have you tried burning the ISO and seeing if your box can boot it? If it can, at that point you can rip it with your dashboard

I have 2 issues with burning the ISO. The first is that I don't know if my Computer's burner is capable of Dual layer DVDs, and I don't own any of them. I also live in the middle of nowhere, so aside from tractor parts I am somewhat limited to having things mailed in. The other issue seems to be that my drive on the xbox has shit the bed. It won't open on its own, but closes....it will read discs, but I have to use the paperclip trick. Its not the belt either, as I have checked it a few times over the years and it isn't oily and has been cleaned. It just won't eject without gently pushing in the paperclip into the "eject assist" hole. Thanks for the advice!

*EDIT*
It looks like there is a "DL" logo on my burner, so I may be good to go for that.

Last edited:

Whippy

Banned
I basically just gave up. I have never burned a game for the Xbox ever, and just ordered in a 50 count of Dual Layer DVD-r. I didn't realize that they were so cheap either, so it seemed like nonsense. I may have to disassemble the DVD drive to see if I can't figure out why it acts wonky. I have this feeling that it is very simple, but easily overlooked...whatever the issue is. I still wouldn't mind finding out how I did this years ago, because that is something that could keep me awake at nights.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Download GISO it can extract from ISOs and also ftp them glhf

Whippy

Banned
Download GISO

I have used my search engine with GISO any any number of associated words. I can't find anything resembling this. Do you have more info about this software, or a link to it? Seriously, I appreciate all of your time on this.

Last edited:

Whippy

Banned
I couldn't find GISO, so I started looking at my DVD drive. It won't Eject on its own, but with a bit of help from the emergency hole with a paperclip, it comes out every time. I tried some lithium grease on the tracks, and that didn't help. I also removed the pulley, and it is as clean and dry as the last time I did it a few years back. My guess: It is caked full of dirt and it is causing issues. I pulled out some hefty dust bunnies, and will be disassembling it shortly for lulz.

Whippy

Banned
Good news and bad news. Good news is that the DVD disc drive now opens and closes. I gave it a very solid cleaning. I was very careful with removal of the drive, and tray. It was very clean all things considered, and did have a bit of dust bunnies on the track. Bad news is that now it will not recognize any discs at all whatsoever. I guess I got exactly what I was looking for. I have tried a few movies, and a few OEM Xbox games I had laying around. The disc is simply not recognized. It spools up properly, and the laser moves back and forth. I have taken it apart 4 times since trying to see if I bumped a cable lose internally. This is interesting, and out of the 6 individual Xbox systems I have repaired and soft modded, this is the first time this has happened. Perhaps it was the first ESD of the season? I give up on it, and now that I have a 50 pack of DVD-r DL coming in the mail yet, I might as well use them for shotgun practice.

*Edit*
I ordered a replacement DVD drive. I am going out of town to work for a few months at the end of next week. Hopefully it is here by then, so I can take this beast with me, otherwise I will just have to settle on using the POS360 that I use as a junk mail holder.

*Another Edit 10 hours later*
The drive recognizes CDs, but not DVDs. This is interesting to me, but not interesting enough to spam up the thread with a new post*

Last edited:

Whippy

Banned
Doubled checked - you neeed GX ISO.

Not just GISO my bad

Thanks for that! I got it working after downloading a .dll file, and it is saying that the ISO files are not valid. Perhaps they are no good after all. Next week some time I will revisit this, as I still have concerns about an x32 dll on an x64 system working correctly as windows would emulate it.

Whippy

Banned
After getting a new/working DVD drive for my xbox, and a big ol' bundle of dvd-dl, It would seem that the ISO files I was using was no good. Its been so long since I first did this mod, that I don't even know where I found these ISO files in the first place. At this point it would be easier for me to buy the 2 games I want....but then again, I don't think I want them that bad either.