Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: How would you rank all King of Fighters games from best to worst?

  1. #1
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25

    How would you rank all King of Fighters games from best to worst?


  2. #2
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Island™

    Posts
    12,650
    Best: Fatal Fury 1
    Worst: King of the Monsters
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

  3. #3
    Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,621
    KoF2k2 Unlimited Match
    KoF98
    KoF2k2
    KoF97
    KoF2k3
    KoFXIII
    KoF99
    KoF2k
    KoF NeoWave
    KoF96
    KoF95
    KoFXI
    KoF2k1
    KoF94
    KoFXII

  4. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    KoF2k2 Unlimited Match
    KoF98
    KoF2k2
    KoF97
    KoF2k3
    KoFXIII
    KoF99
    KoF2k
    KoF NeoWave
    KoF96
    KoF95
    KoFXI
    KoF2k1
    KoF94
    KoFXII

  5. #5
    N00b of Syougi Capitalistix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida

    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    KoF2k2 Unlimited Match
    KoF98
    KoF2k2
    KoF97
    KoF2k3
    KoFXIII
    KoF99
    KoF2k
    KoF NeoWave
    KoF96
    KoF95
    KoFXI
    KoF2k1
    KoF94
    KoFXII
    I used to be of the mindset that 2k2 and 98 were the only worthwhile ones. Since theyre the most legitimately taken in modern day (of the NG originals) however I started playing 97 the other day and I gotta say its pretty cool. I enjoy the creepy ambience of it. I was on the bali night stage, and it legitimately creeped me out. So Im kimda seeimg the appeal. Its cool to see its so high on your list!
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

  6. #6
    Who?
    Atro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Game Room.

    Posts
    8,418
    When KOF94 makes it before last, the list can't be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Atro; 09-11-2019 at 02:07 AM.

  7. #7
    Crazed MVS Addict
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    143
    97 is definitely my top (I'm not sure why it get so much flack). I have a real soft spot for 94. 98 of course is probably technically the best. 95 was my first KOF so that gets near the top of my list

    1. 97
    2. 94
    3. 98
    4. 95
    5. 99
    6. 96
    7. 00
    8. 02
    9. 01
    10. 03

  8. #8
    N00b of Syougi Capitalistix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida

    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    97 is definitely my top (I'm not sure why it get so much flack). I have a real soft spot for 94. 98 of course is probably technically the best. 95 was my first KOF so that gets near the top of my list

    1. 97
    2. 94
    3. 98
    4. 95
    5. 99
    6. 96
    7. 00
    8. 02
    9. 01
    10. 03
    Dang, 02s that far down for you? Do you not like stylistically where the series went or?
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

  9. #9
    Crazed MVS Addict
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Capitalistix View Post
    Dang, 02s that far down for you? Do you not like stylistically where the series went or?
    Yeah I felt they went a bit "MUGEN" by that stage. Still love it though

  10. #10
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,924
    I like fishing and all but there's easier ways to catch a Saner.


    !!

  11. #11

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Capitalistix View Post
    I used to be of the mindset that 2k2 and 98 were the only worthwhile ones. Since theyre the most legitimately taken in modern day (of the NG originals) however I started playing 97 the other day and I gotta say its pretty cool. I enjoy the creepy ambience of it. I was on the bali night stage, and it legitimately creeped me out. So Im kimda seeimg the appeal. Its cool to see its so high on your list!
    Ambiance is not the reason people prefer 98 and 2K2.

  12. #12
    Old Man
    Tarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England

    Posts
    5,532
    I have to admit I've not played them all, but of those I have:

    '97
    '96
    '98
    '02
    '94
    '99
    '95
    '00
    '01

    '96 & '98 are pretty interchangable... but '97 has consistently been my favourite.
    Bonuskun - "Please young man. You telling me to shut up on an internet forum is about going to have the same effect of trying to tell Tarma that Metal Slug 4 was the best Neo Game ever.

    Not going to happen."


    Argentina'94 - "Gotta admit, that was the best coffee and cigarette I ever enjoyed with someone who wasn't in front of me. We MUST do this again!"


    Peanutbutterjammatime

  13. #13
    B. Jenet's Firstmate
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    Yeah I felt they went a bit "MUGEN" by that stage. Still love it though
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the newer ones.

    It's hard for me to make a proper list because I really like them all up to '99.
    Afterwards I felt there had been a constant decline in quality and attention to details.

    It would be easier for me to just group them in tiers

    S tier - 98
    A tier - 99, 97
    B tier - 96, 95, 94
    Mugen tier - 00, 01, 02 ,03

  14. #14
    Hollywood Hulk Gohan GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Hollywood, CA

    Posts
    10,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Atro View Post
    When KOF94 makes it before last, the list can't be taken seriously.
    Nah, XII is the worst. It's barely even a game, it's really just a beta for XIII but SNKP needed money so they had to ship something.

  15. #15
    N00b of Syougi Capitalistix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida

    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Ambiance is not the reason people prefer 98 and 2K2.
    I know that? I never said it was?
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

  16. #16
    WA6TJE
    SouthtownKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Posts
    21,937
    Ranking only the MVS releases:

    2002
    1998

    After that, it has nothing to do with best or worst, just personal enjoyment.

    2001
    1994
    2003
    1995
    2000
    1996
    1997
    1999

    '97 gets waaaaay too much love. It was a rush hack job. The first of the series where you could see the strain of trying to produce a new one every single year. They pulled it off in '95 and '96, but '97 is just unfinished and unpolished. They ran out of time and just released '97 that way. You can make legitimate complaints about how '02 looks or sounds, but at least it had the gameplay and roster to back it up. Not '97.

  17. #17
    They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    jiyugaoka

    Posts
    6,991
    Of ‘yr’ releases:
    2002
    *because of nostalgia/playing in person w/ tsuka, eight-one, RBJakeSpecial, & rassillion, shortly after release.

    Of ‘Roman numeral’ releases:
    XI
    *because Terry SuperCancel into Akira explosion, and eiji.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

    Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*


    "I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

  18. #18
    Kula's Candy
    NexusX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthtownKid View Post
    '97 gets waaaaay too much love. It was a rush hack job. The first of the series where you could see the strain of trying to produce a new one every single year. They pulled it off in '95 and '96, but '97 is just unfinished and unpolished.
    I enjoy 97 for it's "broadcast sport" style and ideas. But I always felt that 98 was essentially a directors cut (in terms of gameplay and effort) of 97. They knew what they were going for in 97 but missed the mark having to cram in the story and balance. It looks like they built off of 97 as a base and just worked on a clean playing game with 98. It's non Canon right? Probably because they knew they needed time to put out another game with a storyline.

  19. #19
    Member streetlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Bay Area

    Posts
    35
    is there a reason ppl arent ranking 14?

    i only have 94 (which came with my aes) and 14 that i havent really played yet on the ps4...i played a little bit of 94, but preferred samurai spirits 2 which also came with the aes when i bought it

  20. #20
    They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    jiyugaoka

    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by streetlights View Post
    is there a reason ppl arent ranking 14?
    Because of that bullshit lie of a dinosaur?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

    Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*


    "I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

  21. #21
    MAX POWA SURGE!
    max 330 mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA

    Posts
    1,987
    03 is pretty much fucking amazing if you'll take the time to relearn all your favorite characters moves, since they changed all the inputs for no good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    fuck this gay earth

    -starks out

  22. #22
    N00b of Syougi Capitalistix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida

    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega View Post
    03 is pretty much fucking amazing if you'll take the time to relearn all your favorite characters moves, since they changed all the inputs for no good reason.
    03 Looks really cool to me, I love the fresh character designs and the roster
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

  23. #23
    This is what happens
    When you constantly
    Piss off the Management.

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Up his own arse.

    Posts
    1,234
    98 on Connoisseur Disc is obviously the best

  24. #24
    Hollywood Hulk Gohan GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Hollywood, CA

    Posts
    10,613
    Jesus Christ, even I won't play KOF games on CD. 98 is pretty swell on Dreamcast though, goofy backgrounds and all.

  25. #25
    Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,621
    The only thing good on CD is the soundtracks. KoF 2k2 Unlimited Match has the best OST of them all.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •