AES Pal to NTSC conversion questions

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Alright after searching the forums and finding a few threads on this, and reading them, Im still incredibly confused. Everybody seemed to have tons of different answers instead of a straightforward; A, B, and C must be done and youre good.

What EXACTLY does it take to convert a PAL AES to play NTSC, like an OG American system would have. 60hz, NTSC etc. I do plan on using RGB scart cables the majority of the time, if that makes any difference.

Some peeps were talking about adding a different crystal to get a different Hz rate, and yet others were straightup "I cut a jumper and I'm gucci"

So what gives?

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
"I cut a jumper and I'm gucci"

Pretty much this. This one to be exact:

index.jpg

Since you will be using RGB: There's also an RGB fix which you could check out because later board revisions tend to have vertical lines in the picture. But 50/60Hz is just determined by this jumper.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Thats wild, so that will cause the console to display at 60hz? No other mods would be needed to play as any other NTSC console would? And this applies to all mobo revisions? I keep seeing stuff about one of the CPUs legs attached to a solder pad or not attached etc. But this is just a matter of cutting a trace?

Whippy

Banned
Yep. I know it's stupid, but that's how they did it.

That is crazy simple, and good to know just in case. I am always amazed at the ways that hardware makes the 50/60hz change. Is this method just simply changing the display frequency, while still internally working at the same "native" speed? I know that PAL users of the Sega Genesis catch some flak because everything including the music is slowed down.
desiretoknowmoreintensifies.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cut trace/jumper will result in PAL60 output. Not a problem if you're using a PVM. However, if you're using composite on a consumer NTSC TV, the picture may display in black and white.