NeoBomberman 4p mode unlocked!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks to Brian for retweeting, looks promising, check sudden-desu's blog as well sudden-desu's.net

C1C9B075-6B56-4034-8756-DE9564979AFC.png

@suddenデス

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Sweet! Not understanding much about hardware capabilities, would a cart-link cable be a possibility?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Amazing. I still wonder why 4p vs the CPU isn't normally accessible in the final game. Basically every other Bomber Man game has it.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Wonder if it was the hardware cost for a link cart that made them hastily remove it

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Is this a cart-link thing like League Bowling, or that funky jamma edge adapter that Kizuna Encounter supports?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Maybe this isn't news after all? sudden desu responded to my tweet:

"Well it turns out it's not anything new. The 3rd and 4th CPU players spawn naturally on their own as you play past the first stage in battle mode.

And if you're thinking of 4P human support... The code just doesn't support it. It would take a pretty major hack for that."

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Good stuff!

I was hoping this meant 4p human support was possible, but after looking at Neo Alec’s post perhaps that isn’t the case. Still a cool find nonetheless. Thank you for sharing!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Good stuff!

I was hoping this meant 4p human support was possible, but after looking at Neo Alec’s post perhaps that isn’t the case. Still a cool find nonetheless. Thank you for sharing!
I think there's no find here. Can anyone confirm that the 3p and 4p CPU join after the first stage in battle mode on the real cart? I plan to try it on mine after I get home. I've probably never played that far before because the prospect of a 2-player battle is too boring.

Edit: A site called the Bomberman wiki offers this:
"Although the Battle Mode supports up to four characters in a single match, only two human players can compete. The computer opponents will only be faced if there is only one player present."

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Nothing to see here, folks. You don't need to patch the memory. The CPU-controlled 3 and 4 player characters are already in the game.

Here's a Youtube video of the game from 4 years ago already showing it in action (skip toward the end):

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
yeah, my bad, reading his tweet I thought he meant he found new stuff that could be used for four players... sorry guys, but it was good to dream again! :(

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I just want to say that sudden-desu, massi and everyone else acted in good faith here. I really appreciate the effort that is being put in to research the Neo like this. And it does sound like he was able to verify there is no code for third and fourth human players in the game. And he discovered there is unused code to initialize 3 CPU's from the first round, which is something.

Last edited: