MiSTer Neo Geo FPGA core released

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Analogue filed a patent a few weeks ago that would suggest their next console will be some kind of gameboy. Though I have no doubt they will make a Neo Geo soon enough also

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I remember reading somewhere (maybe on Atari-Forum) that one of furrtek's original design goals was to enable original cartridges to be used. IDK whether the DE10-Nano has enough I/O capabilities for Neo Geo carts, or whether the core would need to be ported to another FPGA development platform.

My money is on Analogue/Kevtris beating the MiSTer project to the punch, though. Firstly, all of their previous consoles have supported original carts. Secondly, they seem to come out with a new FPGA console every 12 to 18 months, and the NG would seem the next logical alternative, as current FPGAs aren't powerful enough to simulate fifth-generation consoles (PS1, N64 etc.) yet. Maybe they could do the PCE/TG-16 next, but since Cristoph seems to have a raging hard-on for the Neo Geo, I'm gonna go with it instead.

MiSTer will not support carts, if you like sticking carts in things, your gonna have to wait until Analogue or someone else releases an FPGA Neo Geo.

The DE-10 Nano is capable of running a PS1 core, somebody was working on it, but who knows when they will finish it.

Also, PCE/TG-16 are already on MiSTer, with CD support hopefully coming in the near future.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The MiSTer project is just amazing. I appreciate the Analogue products for their dedication to one platform and enjoy it for that, but this tiny box just quickly becoming the do-it-all solution is just mind blowing.

I've been waiting for the project to settle before trying to get in on it, but I'm wondering if now's that time or not...sure seems that way. I've watched some gameplay footage of this core as it has been developed to now and it's been pretty quick progress!

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Someone needs to do up a real deep review on the Neo Geo core. Would love to see comparison between real Neo Geo hardware.
I'm hyped.... but I need to see how good this Mister is
It would be really useful if expert people like all of you, doing comparisons, will post any inaccuracy on GitHub or the official forum, so that they can be solved.

Thank you in advance.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
The MiSTer project is just amazing. I appreciate the Analogue products for their dedication to one platform and enjoy it for that, but this tiny box just quickly becoming the do-it-all solution is just mind blowing.

I've been waiting for the project to settle before trying to get in on it, but I'm wondering if now's that time or not...sure seems that way. I've watched some gameplay footage of this core as it has been developed to now and it's been pretty quick progress!

I'm curious what thing people are waiting to come to MiSTer before they jump on board. It already does basically all the heavy hitters and way more, to much to list.

For me personally, it was when I found out it had an MSX core, the potential of the X68000 core being completed, and all the FPGA arcade games.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I remember reading somewhere (maybe on Atari-Forum) that one of furrtek's original design goals was to enable original cartridges to be used. IDK whether the DE10-Nano has enough I/O capabilities for Neo Geo carts, or whether the core would need to be ported to another FPGA development platform.

My money is on Analogue/Kevtris beating the MiSTer project to the punch, though. Firstly, all of their previous consoles have supported original carts. Secondly, they seem to come out with a new FPGA console every 12 to 18 months, and the NG would seem the next logical alternative, as current FPGAs aren't powerful enough to simulate fifth-generation consoles (PS1, N64 etc.) yet. Maybe they could do the PCE/TG-16 next, but since Cristoph seems to have a raging hard-on for the Neo Geo, I'm gonna go with it instead.

I’d love them to do a new PCE, with a JB that allows CD support and Super grafx like the SDDD3 but as a singular console. Then I can just eliminate rebuying another core grafx. I’d be fine with that

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
https://www.trademarkia.com/company-analogue-inc-4617390-page-1-2
so it is likely next products will be some sort of cheaper multi core Analogue NT mini rerelease and a portable one (GB/GBC? Maybe GBA?)

Can’t do GBA - there was a patent renewal by Nintendo on that. That’s why hyperkin cancelled their GBA, not sure how the retron 5 skirts that (is it because it’s emulation?)

They also have Analogue 8 registered. If you count all their Neo Geo CMVS they’ve done the Analogue Pocket will be project 8, unless that’s something different

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I'm curious what thing people are waiting to come to MiSTer before they jump on board. It already does basically all the heavy hitters and way more, to much to list.

For me personally, it was when I found out it had an MSX core, the potential of the X68000 core being completed, and all the FPGA arcade games.

Honestly for me it was Neo Geo I had been waiting on. I hadn't heard anything about PS1 until recently though, but having a box that can do everything pre-PS1/Saturn seems ok in my book and I should just buy one already

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Can’t do GBA - there was a patent renewal by Nintendo on that. That’s why hyperkin cancelled their GBA, not sure how the retron 5 skirts that (is it because it’s emulation?)

They also have Analogue 8 registered. If you count all their Neo Geo CMVS they’ve done the Analogue Pocket will be project 8, unless that’s something different

IMHO Analogue 8 will be (as stated in my previous post) some sort of cheaper multi core Analogue NT mini. In the end Kevtris released many 8 bit computer/console cores for the NT mini jailbreak, so IMHO they will just repack the NT mini with a cheaper plastic shell, maybe just two joypad ports, no analog RGB out, and make the jailbreak cores official.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I have never played with MiSTer, even though it is very intriguing. With the NG core, this is now on my radar. How hard is it to set up?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Analogue filed a patent a few weeks ago that would suggest their next console will be some kind of gameboy. Though I have no doubt they will make a Neo Geo soon enough also

Ummm, patent applications usually get published 18 months from application date. So either was filed 18 months ago or they announced the filing by themselves? Which is it?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have been aware of mister for a while but never really looked to hard at it.

But I must admit the advances that have been made recently have certainly made me consider picking one up.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
cool! btw, what's the status/expectation for CPS1/2? I guess that would be quite a huge game changer..(pun not intended)

Xavier

1st Lt, Sonic Wings Squadron
20 Year Member

I came here to ask about the X68000 core

Xavier

1st Lt, Sonic Wings Squadron
20 Year Member
Last time I checked it wasn't working on a raspberry pi either.
The windows emulators I've tried don't seem optimized and are lacking in features as well.