MiSTer Neo Geo FPGA core released

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Today is the day, the official public build is out and its great. I suggest anyone who is interested in an FPGA Neo Geo to grab a MiSTer. Just make sure to get the 128mb RAM board so you can play all the games.:buttrock:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Yeah, this might be the time to finally pull the trigger.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
We really owe the people who made this a debt of gratitude. I have kept a close eye on Fuktek and his methods and knowledge are truly fascinating

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
This is actually a pretty big deal. Looks awesome, might need to pick up a MISTer

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Cheers, so you need the DE-10 Nano board and SDRAM expansion board for this core to work?

I think you also need a I/O board to connect up controllers.

You need the DE-10 Nano and a new SDRAM (128MB dual chip module for the whole NeoGeo set including Bad Apple Demo... you can use other combinations too, but probably this is the easiest). You don't need any I/O board for controllers if you're ok with USB or Bluetooth ones (in this case you need an USB OTG adapter and an USB HUB or an USB addon board and, optionally, a Bluetooth dongle). I/O can be used for RGB out, but recently it was introduced a special HDMI video mode which, with the addition of cheap HDMI/VGA adapters, preserves original analog resolution and timings (and the usual very low, few lines of lag). You will be able to use the I/O board with additional adapters in order to use original controllers bypassing completely USB.

Last edited:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
You need the DE-10 Nano and a new SDRAM (128MB dual chip module for the whole NeoGeo set including Bad Apple Demo... you can use other combinations too, but probably this is the easiest).

Is there anyway I could have this setup but run it through a Jamma harness on a cab?

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I grabbed my complete MiSTer setup from misteraddons in case anyone is looking for a place to get it.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
MiSTer can output analog RGB and audio and can be used with USB joypads and keyboards so, right now, you can manage to use some JAMMA adapters designed for PC use.
ElectronAsh is working on a JAMMA addon board for a turnkey solution
https://www.twitter.com/AshEvans81/status/1152403739527004160
but I don’t know if/when it will be released.
It should work with the J-PAC adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KCDbF7dhPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BSJorBDxU

I quickly tried on my Astro City, where I have a PC with GroovyMAME connected. Couldn't get a stable picture, but didn't spend much time.

A JAMMA add-on board would be better for sure.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
It would be amazing if someone built a new system that read from real carts using this.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
It would be amazing if someone built a new system that read from real carts using this.

Its great that dying old hardware and expensive cart libraries are no longer needed due to this.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll

Youll get some flack over this from certain quarters but I too would love to see it. You will definitly see a single slot machine, probably by the people who made the Mega SG etc... what I would love is a multi slot but thats not going to happen in a commercial sense

shelcoof

New Challenger
Someone needs to do up a real deep review on the Neo Geo core. Would love to see comparison between real Neo Geo hardware.
I'm hyped.... but I need to see how good this Mister is

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Youll get some flack over this from certain quarters but I too would love to see it. You will definitly see a single slot machine, probably by the people who made the Mega SG etc... what I would love is a multi slot but thats not going to happen in a commercial sense
Oh I get the flack. But I own 3 one-slot boards and one of them suddenly stopped showing video.

Old hardware is just going to die eventually. The carts too, but I'd love an option to play them on dependable modern hardware (with possible improvements).

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Totally. I’d replace my CMVS with one - if they can get the casing to look similar to the AES (similar to the Omega casing) it’ll be a day one buy.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Totally. I’d replace my CMVS with one - if they can get the casing to look similar to the AES (similar to the Omega casing) it’ll be a day one buy.

Yep. I'd be all over that! My old SuperNOVA / MV-1F is in need of replacing with something better.

pva

Stakes Winner

I remember reading somewhere (maybe on Atari-Forum) that one of furrtek's original design goals was to enable original cartridges to be used. IDK whether the DE10-Nano has enough I/O capabilities for Neo Geo carts, or whether the core would need to be ported to another FPGA development platform.

My money is on Analogue/Kevtris beating the MiSTer project to the punch, though. Firstly, all of their previous consoles have supported original carts. Secondly, they seem to come out with a new FPGA console every 12 to 18 months, and the NG would seem the next logical alternative, as current FPGAs aren't powerful enough to simulate fifth-generation consoles (PS1, N64 etc.) yet. Maybe they could do the PCE/TG-16 next, but since Cristoph seems to have a raging hard-on for the Neo Geo, I'm gonna go with it instead.