Taito F3 No Sound

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Hey y'all, I just purchased an F3 game for my mobo Ive had for a few years but never used. Finally go to install it in my blast, and everything seems to work except for the sound. Ive tried going through the test menu and sound test but nothing, no sound at all. Tried reseating the cart and Jamma connector but nothing. I have researched that there is stereo audio standalone connector on the board. I suppose my next attempt to get sound should be from here? Does anyone have or know where to find one of these cables? Or am I better off just looking for a new mobo?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Sound work on other F3 games?
Sound work on other PCBs in the Blast?
If I had a Blast I would go the stereo cable route anyway as that seems to be a simple connection. Making the wire is pretty simple.

I certainly would not give up on the mobo yet.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Sound work on other F3 games?
Sound work on other PCBs in the Blast?
If I had a Blast I would go the stereo cable route anyway as that seems to be a simple connection. Making the wire is pretty simple.

I certainly would not give up on the mobo yet.

The audio seems to work fine with my rival schools pcb. Though that uses the RCA leads. Ill try it in a different cab via just a jamma harness. Could it be the jamma loom for my blast city wont accept audio? I dont have any other F3 games.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
JAMMA audio is almost always amplified.

Stereo harnesses through RCA/Phono connectors (white/red) are usually line level. Stuff like CPS2 stereo.

On boards 4 pin stereo harnesses can be either amplified/line level/meant for headphone (like mvs). A lot of times people make 4 pin adapters to RCA/phono.

In any case just google the board in question to see if the audio is amplified or not. I believe F3 stereo out is amplified as well. Good chance it is probably just your blast city.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
F3 is pre amped but has a weird pinout. You also have to set the volume for f3 in the test mode. As far as getting the stereo, it’s a 4 pin jst connector and you can find the pinout on AO.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
If I recall, mono goes over the JAMMA interface, stereo comes off the board via the 4 pin header. I've sometimes found one works and not the other. Likely due to capacitors needing replaced I assume, but I've yet to replace mine to confirm that.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
If I recall, mono goes over the JAMMA interface, stereo comes off the board via the 4 pin header. I've sometimes found one works and not the other. Likely due to capacitors needing replaced I assume, but I've yet to replace mine to confirm that.

Interesting, Ill have to try and wire up a breakout for the RCAs. Thank you!

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Confirmed, it was my blast and not the board. Fired it up in a dynamo can and it sounded excellent! Thanks yall!