SNK fighters rumored to be DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Not a big fan of Smash Bros, but that reveal trailer was so good. Loved the use of classic NG sprites!
Looks like Nintendo is better at treating SNK's legacy than SNK itself.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Dat trailer... it smashed the actual game into pieces. What does it mean, if a smart collage of decades old sprite work gives you the goosebumps? Could it be... love? Haha, being a hopeless victim of nostalgia pays off sometimes. Big time.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
Have to confess I never liked Smash Bros series but I luv this trailer!

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
That was pretty cool! I really can't get into the Smash Bro games but it's awesome to see something from SNK in a nintendo game! I bet the fanbase is thrilled!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Smash Bros is and always has been awesome. Just because it doesn't play like a traditional 2D fighter doesn't mean it's bad. We have KOF, SamSho, SF, GG, BlazBlue, DBFZ, MK, KI, Injustice, etc if we want straight up 2D fighting games.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
“Feature: Just Who The Heck Is Terry Bogard, Smash Bros. Ultimate's Latest DLC Fighter?”:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ogard_smash_bros_ultimates_latest_dlc_fighter

Well damn, I’ll just take a seat over here because apparently I’m older than I feel if kids need a news article to explain Terry lol

Of course, I know he’s not as known, but it’s not like those who are younger were around for the introductions of the majority of the other classic 80’s - 90’s characters in Smash either, no? Donkey Kong, Mario, Link, Samus, Kid Icarus, Kirby, etc etc

hampton-bay-rocking-chairs-it-130828n-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
A great addition to the lineup. I am so satisfied with the DLC so far (even topdeck hero).

Ukyo

20 Year Member
trailer was fun; seems like a missed opportunity to use "AGAIN...LEGENDARY MEN...RETURN." or "Certainly, they existed..." though.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Loved the reveal trailer. The symbolism was good, and stuff like Geese jumping off the building and the invitation a la KOF shows the producers were doing their homework on SNK games/lore, which I appreciate.

I always thought of Terry as more of SNK's iconic fighter than Kyo. I'm glad he was the chosen character.

I guess this vid shows a little bit of what Terry would look like in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0QJqoni_HI

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
“Feature: Just Who The Heck Is Terry Bogard, Smash Bros. Ultimate's Latest DLC Fighter?”:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ogard_smash_bros_ultimates_latest_dlc_fighter

Well damn, I’ll just take a seat over here because apparently I’m older than I feel if kids need a news article to explain Terry lol

Of course, I know he’s not as known, but it’s not like those who are younger were around for the introductions of the majority of the other classic 80’s - 90’s characters in Smash either, no? Donkey Kong, Mario, Link, Samus, Kid Icarus, Kirby, etc etc

hampton-bay-rocking-chairs-it-130828n-64_1000.jpg
Just reading this makes me feel very old.No surprise though,fighters by snk have never been that mainstream in the u.s.So for younger people who didn't grow up in the arcades no wonder there giving the what the fuck response towards terry being in smash.Side note i've never been a fan of the smash series still i like how the trailer was presented.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just reading this makes me feel very old.No surprise though,fighters by snk have never been that mainstream in the u.s.So for younger people who didn't grow up in the arcades no wonder there giving the what the fuck response towards terry being in smash.Side note i've never been a fan of the smash series still i like how this trailer was presented.

What kills me is that a quick google and you'd know all about terry bogard?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
What kills me is that a quick google and you'd know all about terry bogard?
Maybe for younger folks there to ignorant towards a looking up a wiki on terry bogard :rolleyes: Other being,maybe they can't even be bother to look up the e-shop for neo-geo release.I have notice hamster has been releasing them like crazy on there for the switch.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have Smash Ultimate for the switch but I just never really clicked with it.

Cool to see Terry coming into it though!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The fact they used the word "heck" in the title of the article tells you everything you need to know about Nintendo's core audience. Like you point out, most of these young kids have no idea who almost any of the characters are outside of Smash Bros. My nephews have never even heard of Castlevania, much less the ones you listed. As far as they or any of their friends know, all of those characters like Kirby or Kid Icarus originated in Smash Bros. It's not like we needed more proof that this is a completely worthless generation coming up today.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Same thing happened with Ness in Smash 64 and Roy & Marth in Melee.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The fact they used the word "heck" in the title of the article tells you everything you need to know about Nintendo's core audience. Like you point out, most of these young kids have no idea who almost any of the characters are outside of Smash Bros. My nephews have never even heard of Castlevania, much less the ones you listed. As far as they or any of their friends know, all of those characters like Kirby or Kid Icarus originated in Smash Bros. It's not like we needed more proof that this is a completely worthless generation coming up today.

gosh darn ain't that the truf

btw:
why the lame arena stage for terry though? why not use the classic train stage?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
btw:
why the lame arena stage for terry though? why not use the classic train stage?

Classic train stage? lol the target audience doesn't even know what game this guy is from.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Same thing happened with Ness in Smash 64 and Roy & Marth in Melee.

Roy and Marth in Melee led to Fire Emblem games actually getting released in the west, though. People liked the characters so much that Nintendo released Fire Emblem: Blazing Blaed in the west on GBA (just generically titled "Fire Emblem" here since it was the first to see release).

This can only help SNK's brand.

Just like when they put guest characters in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, Dead or Alive 6, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur VI, and Fighting EX Layer.

Between the guest appearances, KOF XIV, KOF XV, SamSho, and that shitty waifu fighter this is as relevant as SNK has been in ages.