SNK fighters rumored to be DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Roy and Marth in Melee led to Fire Emblem games actually getting released in the west, though. People liked the characters so much that Nintendo released Fire Emblem: Blazing Blaed in the west on GBA (just generically titled "Fire Emblem" here since it was the first to see release).

This can only help SNK's brand.

Just like when they put guest characters in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, Dead or Alive 6, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur VI, and Fighting EX Layer.

Between the guest appearances, KOF XIV, KOF XV, SamSho, and that shitty waifu fighter this is as relevant as SNK has been in ages.

This is exactly how I feel. Nintendo's Smash audience is massive and filled with young weebs. SNK's franchises have aesthetics tailor made for their tastes.

Sakurai and Nintendo have, in my opinion, blessed SNK by putting Terry in there.

Still want Ryu Hayabusa next, though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sakurai and Nintendo have, in my opinion, blessed SNK by putting Terry in there.

I believe SNK paid Nintendo to put Terry in there. It's the equivalent of professional athletes being paid to wear a brand.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I believe SNK paid Nintendo to put Terry in there. It's the equivalent of professional athletes being paid to wear a brand.

When you say 'I believe', is it because you read it somewhere or is it because you think that's how he got in?

Because, given Smash and its reverence for video game IPs, I would think Sakurai would recognize that SNK is a part of Japanese gaming history and that this is well deserved.

And even if SNK did pay, as you are suggesting, that's money well spent but Nintendo could have just as easily given that spot to someone that would have moved units even this far after launch.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The game has already sold ~15 million copies and it will keep selling as long as the Switch is a thing. It's the best selling fighting game ever and it hasn't been out for a year yet.

Whatever had to happen for Terry to get into the game was worth it, but I suspect t was a pretty simple deal to make. Besides Sakurai and his personal team, most of the Smash Bros development is handled by the same team at Namco that developed Tekken 7, which already featured an SNK character.

Whippy

Banned
The internet: YAY SMASH!
Also the internet: Who the fuck is Terry Bograt?
Me: Facepalm.jpg

I am getting too old for this video gaming shit. I feel like a dinosaur reading the comments about this addition. I don't even and doubt I would ever own a switch either......

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When you say 'I believe', is it because you read it somewhere or is it because you think that's how he got in?

Because, given Smash and its reverence for video game IPs, I would think Sakurai would recognize that SNK is a part of Japanese gaming history and that this is well deserved.

And even if SNK did pay, as you are suggesting, that's money well spent but Nintendo could have just as easily given that spot to someone that would have moved units even this far after launch.

It is pure speculation on my part. Sakurai has a lot of passion and is a big personality in gaming (like with Kojima, suda51, etc.), but Nintendo as a company is savvy enough to know that by adding in non-Nintendo characters they are giving a lot of power to those brands. In my mind, there absolutely had to be business talks where Nintendo said, "OK, we can put in your character in our million-seller game - but what's in it for us?"

It's kind of like Sheldon wearing DC comics shirts on Big Bang Theory. You have such a huge audience, companies will vie for that kind of product placement. And even though it's marketing, it also works and doesn't feel out of place.

This is all in my head, though. I could be wrong and Nintendo might have added all these characters free of charge for the goodness from their hearts.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The reaction of many including myself on this forum was, "I wasn't interested in Smash before, but now I might play it." It could translate to more sales from an untapped audience of old SNK fans for Nintendo.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It is pure speculation on my part. Sakurai has a lot of passion and is a big personality in gaming (like with Kojima, suda51, etc.), but Nintendo as a company is savvy enough to know that by adding in non-Nintendo characters they are giving a lot of power to those brands. In my mind, there absolutely had to be business talks where Nintendo said, "OK, we can put in your character in our million-seller game - but what's in it for us?"

It's kind of like Sheldon wearing DC comics shirts on Big Bang Theory. You have such a huge audience, companies will vie for that kind of product placement. And even though it's marketing, it also works and doesn't feel out of place.

This is all in my head, though. I could be wrong and Nintendo might have added all these characters free of charge for the goodness from their hearts.

I think it's simpler than that. SNK had an in with Harada (lead of the Tekken team working under Sakurai to develop Smash) due to Geese in Tekken 7.

Not to mention SNK is supporting the Switch. SamSho is coming and they released that waifu fighter and all those Neo Geo download titles.

Nintendo wants Smash Bros to be accepted by that segment of the core fighting game audience that still looks down on it. Terry in smash hopefully brings SNK fans, who buy SamSho in enough numbers to secure a Switch release for KOF XV. Everybody wins.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I think it's simpler than that. SNK had an in with Harada (lead of the Tekken team working under Sakurai to develop Smash) due to Geese in Tekken 7.

Not to mention SNK is supporting the Switch. SamSho is coming and they released that waifu fighter and all those Neo Geo download titles.

Nintendo wants Smash Bros to be accepted by that segment of the core fighting game audience that still looks down on it. Terry in smash hopefully brings SNK fans, who buy SamSho in enough numbers to secure a Switch release for KOF XV. Everybody wins.

All of this.

Though, it would have been more appropriate from a marketing standpoint to put Haohmaru in Smash, but he went to Soul Calibur VI instead. Haohmaru in SC makes sense considering the weapon-based gameplay, but perhaps they could have put Haohmaru in Smash and Genjuro in Soul Calibur instead.

I am definitely biased in favor of Terry’s inclusion as an icon representative for SNK; I’m just looking at Haohmaru as a missed marketing opportunity is all. I just want SNK to succeed as best they can.

Bonus round: People had a fit over Terry’s announcement...can you imagine if G-Mantle was the chosen iconic SNK character for Smash instead? He was the one who brought Terry back to South Town to begin with afterall :lolz::

Neo-Geo-CD-Fatal-Fury_2.PNG

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sakurai revealed today that he is not working on anything except making sure all the Smash DLC turns out good, and that he has done nothing but work on Super Smash Bros for almost 8 consecutive years and still loves his job.

Edit

Also, this quote confirms that Sakurai used to play KOF
In the arcades, when I was younger, there was a game called King of Fighters 95, and I thought I was pretty good. I had a 50-strong win streak on Street Fighter 2 around that time. So I was playing King of Fighters once – and the way arcades are set up in Japan, you can’t really see the person you’re playing against, because you’re on opposite sides of the cabinet. I was feeling pleased with myself because I was winning, and it turned out to be a total beginner with their partner, just trying to have fun, and I thought, ‘Oh no, I shouldn’t have beaten them so badly. Now they’re going to feel like they never want to play it again!’ It’s important to think about the beginner crowd.

If we were to lean towards one kind of player or the other … game development would be easier, but forgoing the pros, or forgoing the beginners, wouldn’t result in Smash as it is now, and that’s something I hold dear and important.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Consider me excited! Will be neat to see what they've done with his moves and how well he plays.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Fantastic presentation. Thank you for sharing!

Loved the “I miss playing that game on the Hyper Neo Geo 64” lol

Was absolutely shocked to see the neogeo x make an appearance lol

Last edited:

Gaoh

New Challenger
heh, hardly Smash bros just become the best selling fighting game of all time, Mai would make those Nintendo numbers triple.

Amazing video on the history of the neo geo for the younger generation, I didn't know you could lease an mvs for cheap haha, wow, that neo geo x cameo by the way hehe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK3VltKv3JI

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Sakurai telling these young shits what it's all about.

They pissed and moaned that they didn't recognize the character.

Well too fuckin' bad. We've been waiting longer. You can have your crappy Undertale character next time.

I am flying so high about this right now.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Mai is not kid friendly enough but Bayonetta is?

edit
fatalfury3-quote5.png

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sakurai telling these young shits what it's all about.

They pissed and moaned that they didn't recognize the character.

Well too fuckin' bad. We've been waiting longer. You can have your crappy Undertale character next time.

I am flying so high about this right now.

+1

Now bring on the Ryu Hayabusa reveal and all will be right with the world :buttrock:

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I just got him today and he is by far the most fun to play! It was $6 well spent!

Takuma79

n00b
Ken and Ryu are in smash, (I have it bit it collects dust.)
I do like getting to occasional amiibo though Simon Belmont is a nice looking figure, can't wait for Richter

This announcement had me excited, I would have loved if Ryo was in it but I completely understand the choice for Terry, maybe we'll get Haoh-Maru down the road.