MVS Conservation

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ive spent quite a bit in recent years to keep my CRT's working, Well comparative to the cost of one.

I dropped £130 to repair the 27" CRT in my Area 51 cabinet.
I spent £45 on my 19" CRT TV to try and sort the picture out
And I have picked up a few smaller CRT's just to hoard them in the loft for future contingency! most were free and I paid £5 for one.

I just dont think older games look right on a modern TV, I can accept PSX etc ono on a modern TV but anything from previous gens has got to be on a CRT for me.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Ive spent quite a bit in recent years to keep my CRT's working, Well comparative to the cost of one.

I dropped £130 to repair the 27" CRT in my Area 51 cabinet.
I spent £45 on my 19" CRT TV to try and sort the picture out
And I have picked up a few smaller CRT's just to hoard them in the loft for future contingency! most were free and I paid £5 for one.

I just dont think older games look right on a modern TV, I can accept PSX etc ono on a modern TV but anything from previous gens has got to be on a CRT for me.

If you ever need a CRT tv, just find a local recycling event in your community.
Offer someone 5 bucks for a tv they are dropping off and you are set.
No need to hoard them and have them taking up space

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
If you ever need a CRT tv, just find a local recycling event in your community.
Offer someone 5 bucks for a tv they are dropping off and you are set.
No need to hoard them and have them taking up space

The reason I have hoarded a few is they are increasingly hard to come by in any sort of useful condition.

My main one is a Trinitron which is in need of some TLC and I have a other Sanyo which works really well.

Then I have a couple of 14” ones that I have stashed.

shelcoof

New Challenger
What exactly are you trying to prevent by no longer using your hardware? Using the console doesn't put much wear on the hardware. Leaving your systems stored away for long periods of time will do far more damage than any use could. As long as it's still working, you'd might as well use it.

That's a terrible idea. What's the point? No matter what you do you're just faking it. It's never going to be a CRT. I never thought we would reach this level of faux purist insanity. It's time to move on and focus on what modern TV's do well - produce a far cleaner and more stable image. I have a CRT too, but I'm not some puritanical CRT nazi who can't admit that the new technology is better.

Seriously, is this a troll post? You are like a parody of a hardware purist. Like an alien or a computer who has been reading retrogaming forums trying to pass yourself off as human.

There is only one thing I prefer on a CRT that a flat panel can't produce better yet and that is response time.

Playing really fast games on a flat panel I'll notice it but on a CRT its butter smooth!

If modern tech can fix that then I'd be all over it!

The reason I have hoarded a few is they are increasingly hard to come by in any sort of useful condition.

My main one is a Trinitron which is in need of some TLC and I have a other Sanyo which works really well.

Then I have a couple of 14” ones that I have stashed.

Not where I am. So many great Trinitrons being given away. These are the newest models too!

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Not where I am. So many great Trinitrons being given away. These are the newest models too!

I envy you!

Most of them have been skipped or destroyed :(
You cant even get them from recycling centres here as they are classed as hazardous waste!!

So the only ones I ever see are either folks clearing out their garages etc or people who actually know they are still desirable and getting rare so want to sell them for more than you can buy a new LED TV!

Whippy

Banned
My bigger concern is with CRT’s at the moment though tbh.

I am somewhat surprised that some sort of boutique overpriced CRT hasn't been produced. I am the type of person who would pay a few grand for a quality SD Crt made in 2019.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
The biggest problem to me with modern displays is input lag.
The 2nd one is fixed resolutions.
Unfortunately there's way too many old systems outputting weird resolutions that don't scale too well to modern displays and end up requiring filters and too much fine tuning to look right. I guess this one may not be much of an issue for Neo-Geo specifically, but it definitely is for many other systems.
And finally, I just hate the overly sharp pixelated look. I personally much rather have a somewhat blurred image on a CRT.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
123►Genei-Jin;4382637 said:
And finally, I just hate the overly sharp pixelated look. I personally much rather have a somewhat blurred image on a CRT.

Hahaha, that reminds me of pre-code movies, where an apt camera operator would grease his close up lens to achieve that favorable, i.e. blurry, look for his aging starlets. Hmm... maybe you could just take off your glasses while gaming ;).