Thread: Naomi 2 Questions

Naomi 2 Questions

So way back I had a Naomi in a quest to play some CVS2 in my cab, but I had many problems with a GD Rom at the time, ended up selling everything sans the actual game.

Flash forward to now and Im ready to start my Naomi journey anew. Im waiting on a recapped Naomi 2, a DIMM board, SCSI cable and a GD-Rom thats been refurbished with a new laser and gone through. This will be going into a dedicated JVS cabinet.

My questions are fairly simple, what extra wires and power supply(ies) will I need to get this monstrosity up and running?

I read somewhere that the Naomi 2 has different power requirements than the Naomi 1? Or that it can supply power to the GD-Rom itself or something? Im a complete Naomi 2 noob, and its been forever since I messed with a Naomi 1.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Thanks =]
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

Dogg-Father

probably need a Capcom I/O board too

SUN psu...

I had a GD-Rom unit years ago but I think the PSU powers both the mobo and GD on separate dongles...I netboot now...
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

Quote Originally Posted by Neodogg View Post
    probably need a Capcom I/O board too

SUN psu...

I had a GD-Rom unit years ago but I think the PSU powers both the mobo and GD on separate dongles...I netboot now...
    This is a fully JVS equipped cab, would I still need the I/O? I thought that was used to convert a Naomi for a Jamma cab? So the Cab itself doesnt provide power to the Naomi through a connection to the JVS harness?

Dogg-Father

don't you still need to plug your harness into something for the controls? I assume that is the function of the I/O board...
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar

What cabinet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*

"I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

Raiden's Valet

If it's already JVS wired (like a Naomi cabinet or a New Net City something like that) you will already have the JVS I/O board. If you're re-wiring a JAMMA cabinet to JVS you have two options. Either completely rewire the cabinet to JVS (which includes getting a JVS I/O board) or getting a Capcom I/O board so you can connect the JAMMA harness up to the Naomi. Either way, if you're running a DIMM an GD-ROM you'll need an dedicated PSU like the Sun PSU mentioned above.
    My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    If it's already JVS wired (like a Naomi cabinet or a New Net City something like that) you will already have the JVS I/O board. If you're re-wiring a JAMMA cabinet to JVS you have two options. Either completely rewire the cabinet to JVS (which includes getting a JVS I/O board) or getting a Capcom I/O board so you can connect the JAMMA harness up to the Naomi. Either way, if you're running a DIMM an GD-ROM you'll need an dedicated PSU like the Sun PSU mentioned above.

Okay cool, and yes its a JVS NNC cab. So I guess I should just need the PSU. Is there a specific model of sun PSU?

No, you have the psu in the cab you have. It's a sun psu unless someone gutted the cab.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    No, you have the psu in the cab you have. It's a sun psu unless someone gutted the cab.
    Ahhh very cool, so ill likely need nothing extra. Thank you!

If you fail to get it going there's always the Dreamcast Port of the game

Dreamcast via VGA and your golden!!

Thread Information