RetroTink 2X Component Video Colors Too Bright/Blown Out

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Does anyone on here have experience using component video via the RetroTink 2x?

Story:
Purchased the RT to see if it would fix the timing issue using component video via my AES and my HD sets - as is the case with using the AES on more modern display types. Happily, it fixed the timing issue and I incur no more flicker! (REI modded AES from KJP)

Sadly, it completely blows out the colors - especially the blue.

Here's what I've done to trouble shoot:

-I've cycled through all modes on the RT

-I've tried 2 TVs - 14 year old Sony Wega and a modern Samsung 4K

-I've tried 2 sets of Component cables - HD Retrovision and Media Bridge

-Component straight to the TV looks incredible, colors are perfect and image is sharp - just looses sync every so often (as is the way with many HD sets and the Neo).

-Tried s-video through the RT and the image and colors are fine.

-I don't think it is the mini-HDMI that came with it (ordered direct from developer) as the s-video image quality is fine.

Images with descriptions - these are off screen, but you can clearly see the difference in image quality and colors. NO settings were changed between shots - only output types.

RetroTink Component:
https://imgur.com/50eqXtu

Direct to TV Component:
https://imgur.com/a6ZvihW

RetroTink S-Video:
https://imgur.com/OXv6O4k

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Yeah this happened with the Omega CMVS and the retrotink. Spoke to the creator of the RT2X over twitter, it’s something with the encoder used in the console itself.

Someone I know with the Omega just uses S-video on the RT2X and they’re happy with it. I ended up using the component in on my Home Theater receiver and it fortunately sees 240P as 480P and looks great.

It’s been reported that JNX CMVS work well with it.

So it’s all in the way your AES was modded for component out.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Thanks! I thought it could be that... But I failed to mention in my original post that I also tried my Saturn via the HD Retrovision Component cables (Genesis 2 cable with the Saturn link) and got the same blown out color result. I have a few mods in there, but no AV mods.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Thanks! I thought it could be that... But I failed to mention in my original post that I also tried my Saturn via the HD Retrovision Component cables (Genesis 2 cable with the Saturn link) and got the same blown out color result. I have a few mods in there, but no AV mods.

Has anything with component worked on your RT2X?

Find something that can output it natively like a PS2. Remember it can’t do 480P passthru

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Has anything with component worked on your RT2X?

Find something that can output it natively like a PS2. Remember it can’t do 480P passthru

Good call. I had planned on getting a Sony component cable soon anyway, so I'll grab one of those and test it out the with the RT2X. Thanks!