Thread: Mv1fzs missing chip?

Question Mv1fzs missing chip?

So I currently own two boards both with issues but the board in question seems to have crashing issues on a few banana cart games example being kof98, not going to go to deep into that issue as im waiting on a real kof98 to come in to determine if its a banana cart issue not a board problem.

I decided in the mean time to take a look at the board and see if anything was amiss and well it looks like u14 the ls259 motorola chip is unpopulated. Ill be honest these things are a touch over my head so I do not have the slightest clue what it is supposed to do. So my question for all of you is

A: what is this missing chip for
    B: Is it normal for this to be unpopulated

All the pictures ive seen of this board have the slot filled so I assume that it's supposed to be there, if so I maybe the cause of my problems? I know its a super cheap part but I'd rather not add something that isnt supposed to be on this board.

Here is a picture of what Im talking about
    https://imgur.com/RQHXG2y hopefully one of you guys can help me out on this one. As otherwise the board seems fine and on my copy of MS3 runs flawless.

Cham Cham's Banana

Short answer: Buy that chip and replace it

Well I guess I will be could I get the long answer, just so I'm better informed in the future

Cham Cham's Banana

I don't know specifically what that chip does for the MVS but it's an 8 bit addressable latch. Most likely it does serial to parallel conversions.

Thread Information