Thread: Neo Geo 4-slot cab help (H Size adjustment)...

Bead Banger

Neo Geo 4-slot cab help (H Size adjustment)...

So, I just got a really worked NG cab (peeling panels, particle board chipping/broke off, etc.). Amazingly enough, the 4 slot that's in there still works fine, as well as all the controls and the sound.

The issue I'm having is the screen is stretched out horizontally. I've looked online and also looked in the monitor's manual (that was still in the cab), and tried adjusting the horizontal width coil but it doesn't seem help.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, is there anything else I can do? Possibly recap the chassis board?
    ...console emulation has no soul...

Armored Scrum Object

Is it a solid horizontal line? If so it sounds like you have vertical collapse on your monitor. If recapping isn't doing a thing then there is a specific chip that has burnt out. I have fixed 2 vertical collapse monitors by ordering and installing replacements.

Bead Banger

Not a horizontal line, I have vertical, and games are playable.

When I turn it on without a cartridge in the slot, the cross hatch screen shows vertical fine (blue lines at the edge within view). The horizontal edges (left and right) is only showing one blue edge. Messing with the horizontal position pot, it will show the other edge.

My screen should look like this:

but it's stretched horizontally.

Is it an intervideo chassis?

Bead Banger

Quote Originally Posted by ftadeufs View Post
    Is it an intervideo chassis?
    I'm kinda new to the arcade cab thing, so I'm not too sure. Here's some pics of inside the cab.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dx7WG97o3MeRAcmi7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AkbKyWNZ5G5pnS5L8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j8qbShqunt5n6uHf9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b6rRihja4pHCsL9E6

[EDIT] upon further inspection, it looks like there's some leaking caps on the board, so I'm guessing a recap is in order? Or should I consider just getting a new chassis board?
    Last edited by goombakid; 08-14-2019 at 02:05 AM.

I never saw that chassis before, so I can´t help you much.
    Usually that horizontal expansion impossible to adjust is due to a faulty cap or transístor on the horizontal deflection circuit.

Cham Cham's Banana

Recap is the cheapest option and will most likely fix the problem but otherwise I know there are universal chassis boards out there you could probably use

Big Bang Pro Wrestler

That's a WG K7000 chassis. Super common. Buy a new horizontal width coil and swap it out. If that doesn't work, do a recap.

If you don't wanna mess with fixing yours, buy a working chassis off ebay or klov. Swap it out and you're good to go. Sell you broken one as such and you'll recoup a bit of the cost.
    Sony PVM Club, Blast City Club, Egret II Club, Neo Candy Club
    WTB: Neo Geo MVS-U4 or MVS-U4/29

Bead Banger

I bought a recap kit while I was on vacation. The eBay shop I bought it from checked and got me the correct kit for my board. There is a chance that I might have to also replace the h-width coil, since adjusting it wasn't helping...that or I wasn't doing it correctly (which was probably the problem).

Quote Originally Posted by DasiyAge View Post
    Recap is the cheapest option and will most likely fix the problem but otherwise I know there are universal chassis boards out there you could probably use
    I've seen those boards online. Have you used them? Any good?

Bead Banger

BUMPdate: Did a recap job; didn't fix the problem. Readjust horizontal width coil (I bought a set to adjust the coil, but apparently none of them fit properly, so I ended up using a hex set that had a grip on it to adjust); no change.

I've been shutting the cab off when I mess with the horizontal coil, in fear of getting shocked. Should I have the cab on while I adjust, or does it matter? If it doesn't matter, I may just try replacing the coil, then if that doesn't work, I'll just replace the whole chassis.

I repaired an intervideo chassis yesterday with the same problem.

In my case it was a 0.68uF Poliester capacitor that was bad. It was slightly bulged on the side next to other cap, and burned underneath with no visible damage from the outside.
    The capacitor was on the horizontal deflection circuit very close to the yoke connectors.

You can adjust the coil with the screen on, as long as you know the risks. Use an insulated or plastic tool, be sure not to touch elsewhere than the adjustment thing, and preferably with only one hand to operate the tool.

I´d suggest that you search for broken components on the horizontal deflection circuit.

Thread Information