Neo Geo 4-slot cab help ...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So, I just got a really worked NG cab (peeling panels, particle board chipping/broke off, etc.). Amazingly enough, the 4 slot that's in there still works fine, as well as all the controls and the sound.

The issue I'm having is the screen is stretched out horizontally. I've looked online and also looked in the monitor's manual (that was still in the cab), and tried adjusting the horizontal width coil but it doesn't seem help.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, is there anything else I can do? Possibly recap the chassis board?

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Is it a solid horizontal line? If so it sounds like you have vertical collapse on your monitor. If recapping isn't doing a thing then there is a specific chip that has burnt out. I have fixed 2 vertical collapse monitors by ordering and installing replacements.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Not a horizontal line, I have vertical, and games are playable.

When I turn it on without a cartridge in the slot, the cross hatch screen shows vertical fine (blue lines at the edge within view). The horizontal edges (left and right) is only showing one blue edge. Messing with the horizontal position pot, it will show the other edge.

My screen should look like this:
Crosshatch.png

but it's stretched horizontally.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Is it an intervideo chassis?
I'm kinda new to the arcade cab thing, so I'm not too sure. Here's some pics of inside the cab.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dx7WG97o3MeRAcmi7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AkbKyWNZ5G5pnS5L8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j8qbShqunt5n6uHf9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b6rRihja4pHCsL9E6

[EDIT] upon further inspection, it looks like there's some leaking caps on the board, so I'm guessing a recap is in order? Or should I consider just getting a new chassis board?

Last edited:

ftadeufs

n00b
I never saw that chassis before, so I can´t help you much.
Usually that horizontal expansion impossible to adjust is due to a faulty cap or transístor on the horizontal deflection circuit.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Recap is the cheapest option and will most likely fix the problem but otherwise I know there are universal chassis boards out there you could probably use

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
That's a WG K7000 chassis. Super common. Buy a new horizontal width coil and swap it out. If that doesn't work, do a recap.

If you don't wanna mess with fixing yours, buy a working chassis off ebay or klov. Swap it out and you're good to go. Sell you broken one as such and you'll recoup a bit of the cost.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I bought a recap kit while I was on vacation. The eBay shop I bought it from checked and got me the correct kit for my board. There is a chance that I might have to also replace the h-width coil, since adjusting it wasn't helping...that or I wasn't doing it correctly (which was probably the problem).

Recap is the cheapest option and will most likely fix the problem but otherwise I know there are universal chassis boards out there you could probably use
I've seen those boards online. Have you used them? Any good?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
BUMPdate: Did a recap job; didn't fix the problem. Readjust horizontal width coil (I bought a set to adjust the coil, but apparently none of them fit properly, so I ended up using a hex set that had a grip on it to adjust); no change.

I've been shutting the cab off when I mess with the horizontal coil, in fear of getting shocked. Should I have the cab on while I adjust, or does it matter? If it doesn't matter, I may just try replacing the coil, then if that doesn't work, I'll just replace the whole chassis.

ftadeufs

n00b
I repaired an intervideo chassis yesterday with the same problem.

In my case it was a 0.68uF Poliester capacitor that was bad. It was slightly bulged on the side next to other cap, and burned underneath with no visible damage from the outside.
The capacitor was on the horizontal deflection circuit very close to the yoke connectors.

You can adjust the coil with the screen on, as long as you know the risks. Use an insulated or plastic tool, be sure not to touch elsewhere than the adjustment thing, and preferably with only one hand to operate the tool.

I´d suggest that you search for broken components on the horizontal deflection circuit.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Another BUMPDate: I got around to replacing the caps around the horizontal coil (C36, C38, and C69). Other than the fact that I didn't put the anode cap back on properly (hissing and popping, gotta love that), I'm happy to say that I got the width issue solved! It's still a bit stretched, but at least with the cross hatch screen, I can see the blue border all the way around the monitor.