The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

Shanadria

New Challenger
I think its easier to them to "rent" Arc System for the job...and I think anime style can fit perfectly into Fatal Fury or KOF characters.

I´d kill for a Capcom vs Snk 3 pixel stlye...but Im OK with ARc system style...mainly because Capcom and Snk dont have any pixel artist anymore, honestly.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I would be ok with Samurai's graphics, but if they manage to replicate 2D graphics well like Guilty Gear did, I hope they aim for a style that is closer to SF3 / MotW instead of the anime look.
If they went that route id be fine with it as well if it was akin to the SF3/MOTW style of graphics.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Something tells me and it's just a hunch but I think they'll continue being 3D from now on.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
If they went that route id be fine with it as well if it was akin to the SF3/MOTW style of graphics.

those games flopped.

anyways its february so they should start releasing characters trailers counting down to KOFXV 2020 release.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
True, 3rd Strike is a super unpopular game that people totally don't play anymore.

You fucking waterhead.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
True, 3rd Strike is a super unpopular game that people totally don't play anymore.

You fucking waterhead.
Inaccurate. Water contains microbes which each possess millions of times the intelligence of saner.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
those games flopped.

anyways its february so they should start releasing characters trailers counting down to KOFXV 2020 release.

Where the fuck did 3rd Strike Flop? In the Congo?

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Fucking roasted.
saner, thank you for playing.

wtf. SFIII series did flop. it was in fact the last SF from the original SFII devs. SFIII series flopped commercially. which is why there was a long hiatus and capcom focused more on resident evil and other things until SFIV

it's 'popular' only in nostalgia, but still the majority don't play it, heck, USFiV and even the overrated SFV eclipse the 3rd Strike's fanbase and active playerbase online.

its kinda like how overrated MOTW is due to its animations. 3rd Strike is not even up to Alpha 3 roster and gameplay standards.

anyways this is KOFXV topic, and SNK must be developing a pretty impressive graphics foundation so they dont get ridiculed again.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Isn't saner right on this one though?

3s kinda preceded a boom with 3d games and consoles...and wasn't it mostly available on the Dreamcast?

Also, he just said (in this thread) that American sports team needs to come back...so hell must be freezing over because we agree on that as well.

Last edited:

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Personally I'd be happy if they employed similar graphics to what's in the recent Samurai Shodown. I think the graphical style works much better for SNK than the 3D ones done before. Sure it's no Guilty Gear, but it's still great imo.

Fett

Camel Slug
I'm sure the game will be good, but SNK is thirsty for that seasons upon seasons of DLC money Capcom has.
So far SamSho hasn't been too egregious, but I still prefer to buy complete games if it's a full price title.

I just waited 4 years to buy SFV Champion Edition for $30 instead of $600 paying for DLC,
and I'll do it again for a complete KoF XV if I have to.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SFIII series flopped commercially. which is why there was a long hiatus and capcom focused more on resident evil and other things until SFIV

I love Street Fighter and I hate to say it, but this is 100% true. It was sad as hell to see so many players at the arcades shun the new direction that the SF3 series took at that time. I still have the news article from EGM magazine celebrating the demise of the Street Fighter 3 series after Third Strike had run its course.

It really wasn’t until the Third Strike Evo moment that more players gave the game another shot, but even after Capcom included a port of Third Strike on the Street Fighter Anniversary collection (PS2/XBOX), it still did not grant Third Strike huge commercial success. With Third Strike having made the jump from being a console exclusive on the Dreamcast to a widely available release on PS2 and XBOX, its presence on the ill-fated Dreamcast was not entirely to blame.

Ono fought an uphill battle to get a new Street Fighter off the ground and thank goodness he did. Having Nishimura (formerly SNK and then DIMPS) himself return the series to something that veterans and newcomers alike could get into turned out to be just what the series needed...for a time. Outside of the competitive community SF is still far away from the resurgeance it experienced with the release of SFIV, but that’s a completely different talk.

Back on topic: I hope KOFXV sees success along the lines of the new Samurai Shodown. I wish them luck.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This person actually did a good job of summing up what led to the SF franchise dark period/the lack of success for III, EX, and the latter cross-over title. He also addresses the transition from SF 2 HD Remix to the final SFIV commercial product. It’s long but worth a watch for fellow Street Fighter fans who are interested:

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
It's irrelevant whether Saner is right or wrong ( this is usually the case). People just like flicking his ears.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This person actually did a good job of summing up what led to the SF franchise dark period/the lack of success for III, EX, and the latter cross-over title. He also addresses the transition from SF 2 HD Remix to the final SFIV commercial product. It’s long but worth a watch for fellow Street Fighter fans who are interested:

I'm not going to front BN. When I found out SFIV was coming out I was souped. I never got so excited for a game in my older years like I did with SFIV (Mid 20's). Had the madcatz te stick on Pre-order along with the limited edition game. After all was said and done I was not disappointed with the outcome. I thought the inital SFIV was bare bones but still felt like SF. I still would have loved a true 2d SF but thought the 2.5d SF was just fine. I'm currently playing SFV champion edition and having a blast. I'll always main Ryu for the rest of my life.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
those games flopped.

Yup yup, compared to SFII which captured the attention of the world, SFIII was released to little fanfare.

I remember being around 10 or 11 years old and seeing an arcade machine with only THREE in the marquee. Bad marketing, yo.

SFIII failed so hard that Capcom basically retconned it and just had SFIV be a remake of II.

On an artistic level, I have such a huge respect for Capcom making something that felt like a true sequel, an evolution instead of an update. It's as big a leap from SFII as Super Mario Bro 3 was from 2. Unfortunately, the gamble didn't pay off and the only people who played were serious arcade fighters instead of everyone from before. The arcades in my city never upgraded to Second Impact and Third Strike. To this day, I have never played Second Impact.

aam

War Room Troll
Any game with such a lameass wigger intro sequence deserves failure

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
On an artistic level, I have such a huge respect for Capcom making something that felt like a true sequel, an evolution instead of an update. It's as big a leap from SFII as Super Mario Bro 3 was from 2.
I was never a big fan of SF3 but I agree with this, Capcom really went for it and tried something new. They didn't do that with SF5 and I think it hurt them there. SF5 is simply different from SF4 and doesn't feel like an evolution. I'm curious to see how Capcom bails themselves out with SF6. It's either time for a risky, original design, or else an SF4-like sequel to SF3 or SFA3.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SFIII was always amazing and Capcom back then was the Miyamoto Musashi of gaming. I mean back then it was also the Alpha/Zero games which where sublime. Beautiful inspired art and mechanics.
SFIV.... yeah I guess.... It's a bunch of crap but ok

saner

Krauser's Henchman
well anyways Street Fighter has become irrelevent ever since KOF94 appeared. even though the mainstream conservative simpletons only look at Street Fighter, The King of Fighters is leagues above SF series . KOF is underrated from a mainstream standpoint, but the series has been largely consistent, with only KOF12 being an outcast (though I like its AOF-like scaling camera, making the characters look bigger than KOFXIII.) KOF overall has a lot more qualities and better characters and mechanics than SF. plus it is universal since it has a timeless feel to it. it doesnt have to worry about characters aging like Street Fighter and Tekken does. KOF is actually better having that timeless style, just like for generations Looney Tunes did its thing and time didnt matter cause implementing that would degrade the characters and lead to cuts.

KOF still has a chronological order, but glad they didnt peg years to its world/dimension nor its characters. so everyone stays fresh.