How popular was World Heroes in Japan?

shelcoof

New Challenger
Remember seeing and playing the first World Heroes game and thought it was the next street fighter lol.
I was a kid at the time and thought Street Fighter evolved into weapon based combat and a new facelift. Chun Li was now replaced with a hot blonde with a sword. Ryu and Ken are now Ninjas.

Greatest moment were convincing my friends at school that this was the next Street Fighter lol

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You have three sequels.

Super Famicom, PC Engine and Sega Saturn ports. A gameboy title.

Laserdisc releases.

I've never had a grasp on how low (or high) the bar is set to reach "kusoge" status, but, my guess is that World Heroes was considered legit?

I mean, perhaps playing any Street Fighter alternative was considered questionable during these times, but to what degree?

Oh I wanna know.
It was one of many early 90s fighting games that rode on the success of Street Fighter 2, which made billions of dollars in revenue for Capcom. Personally, I prefer the early Fatal Fury games to WH. But I liked the idea of having fights in a deathmatch ring, and I don't know of any other other fighting games that had that feature.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
But I liked the idea of having fights in a deathmatch ring, and I don't know of any other other fighting games that had that feature.

Aside from wrestling games (Fire Pro and Slam Masters, for example), the DOA games have explosive floors/walls/rings, iirc. WH, though, is probably the most unavoidable with it's death match features.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I never played a World Heroes game until 2007 when it came in my MVS cab I picked up.

I was...pretty unimpressed coming from the competitive street fighter scene and mostly playing newer SNK fighters at that time.

The sequels are enjoyable fun, but man that first one is not enjoyable to me at all

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Remember seeing and playing the first World Heroes game and thought it was the next street fighter lol.
I was a kid at the time and thought Street Fighter evolved into weapon based combat and a new facelift. Chun Li was now replaced with a hot blonde with a sword. Ryu and Ken are now Ninjas.

Greatest moment were convincing my friends at school that this was the next Street Fighter lol

Looking back at my childhood I'll admit I was a gullible kid but even that would a hard sell for me.

I never played a World Heroes game until 2007 when it came in my MVS cab I picked up.

I was...pretty unimpressed coming from the competitive street fighter scene and mostly playing newer SNK fighters at that time.

The sequels are enjoyable fun, but man that first one is not enjoyable to me at all

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

If I didn't enjoy the original World Heroes and Samurai Shodown as much as I did I doubt I would have bothered with the sequels or any other fighter on the Neo-Geo.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I really enjoy the sound of the first game, btw. Hanzo and Fuuma's themes in particular. Don't know why but it just hits that spot.

+1 for Hanzo and Fuuma themes and for the music in WH1 in general, especially the cd version of the ost with its guitar arrangements via Kenji Kondoh. Brocken’s cd theme rocked:

Last edited: