New SNK Hardware Twitter Post

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I dunno, the more I look at it, the more I think it could just be an arcade stick, which I'd be perfectly fine with. When you think about it, no matter how shitty it looks, its better than the Mini controllers, it probably has proper clicky parts. SNK's IP's are all over the other platforms (new Samurai Shodown for example) it probably makes sense to have all the extra buttons and try and sell a stick for those platforms. They did announce Neo Geo 3 at the same time as this, perhaps there is another hardware announcement to come and this really is just a joystick. The only thing I don't get is the two USB ports on the bottom.

My issue with this thing is how they have the buttons layed out without any thought as to how the original arcade layout was designed. On the original layout, you can comfortably rest your hands across A, B, C, & D without any real problems. For fighting games it was perfect. The layout with how it looks now is them trying to copy the NeoCD pad when there is no reason to. It's supposed to be an arcade stick and should be treated as such.

If you're playing fighting games or any games where reaction time is a thing, forcing your fingers to bend down to hit two other buttons instead of just having them laid across your four main fingers is fucking retarded for an arcade stick. Even with the extra buttons the fact they have this shit all colored up like this is just terrible.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If you're playing fighting games or any games where reaction time is a thing, forcing your fingers to bend down to hit two other buttons
Playing Street Fighter must be excruciating for you. Having to force your fingers to bend down to hit the three kick buttons. No wonder Capcom fighters never took off. Hurry up, fingers -- bennnnnnnnnndddd!

Having that many buttons means you can map them and play with your fingers straight across, you drama queen.

The only thing I don't get is the two USB ports on the bottom.
I'm also curious about the four buttons on the side of the base.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That stick looks like a worthy upgrade for my HRAP3 from a decade ago.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Playing Street Fighter must be excruciating for you. Having to force your fingers to bend down to hit the three kick buttons. No wonder Capcom fighters never took off. Hurry up, fingers -- bennnnnnnnnndddd!

No that is fine since it was easy to work with but why should I have to remap the damn buttons in the first place?

Don't get me wrong the stick looks nice overall but I just feel they could have done a better job designing it. Calling it an arcade stick is one thing but they should have stuck to a more traditional design. The old school Neo sticks layout is A B C D not
A C
B D.

Neo games were designed around that 4 button layout originally so why not stick to tradition and leave the other buttons on the bottom as extras instead of making it look like a NeoCD pad?

Edit: While I've never really worried about it too much I usually preferred the "Drumstick" controllers over the ball tops.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Having that many buttons means you can map them and play with your fingers straight across, you drama queen.

Well that depends on what exactly this stick is going to be used for, they haven't stated. If it's a Neo Geo mini stick, or some stupid system on a stick think like that Capcom abomination, then there probably will be no button remapping. If it's a Switch/modern system stick it won't matter for most things, but some of the indie games you'd like to use a stick for curiously don't have the ability to remap buttons. If the buttons are just standalone pushbuttons it won't matter at all since you could just open it up and move the buttons around, but knowing current SNK it will probably be some pushbutton on top of a PCB shit.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Well that depends on what exactly this stick is going to be used for, they haven't stated. If it's a Neo Geo mini stick.

If this is the new hardware in fact, then they state it at least hooks up to the neo geo mini for one, beyond that I would hope it has use on other systems (I'm sure if not there will be some sort of mayflash connector in the future to the PS4, PC, etc).

"With a modern design and a wonderful play feeling and you can even link it to NEOGEO Mini, the new hardware will provide you a NEOGEO journey that you have never expeirenced."

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

Omg - it's not even a joystick for use with any modern consoles. You would think they could have at least tacked this on to the threadbare list of features!

Who is the target market for this thing anyway? I mean, does it add all that much to the Neo Geo mini? Why would you connect this thing to your TV when you can download ACA Neogeo games and use your PS4 stick? Steam already has games like KOF 98 on it as well.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Motherfucking worthless piece of shit fuck ass cock suck shit! And 20 games, motherfuckers! Stupid fucking waste of fuck shit ass clit tit slit shit!!!!

-SD-

Camel Slug
L23SBVu.jpg

TDTtbvy.jpg

zoxZTF7.jpg

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Omg - it's not even a joystick for use with any modern consoles. You would think they could have at least tacked this on to the threadbare list of features!

Why does it have 8 buttons?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Why does it have 8 buttons?

Really good question - that's one of the reasons I thought you could use this on PS4/etc. Maybe they are mapping shortcuts to desperation moves on the extraneous buttons -?-

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm dreaming.

That dream where I'm in a gigantic parking lot at night and slowly come to the realization that my car has been towed. Then the zombies come. I try to run but I'm moving slow, like I'm waist-deep in maple syrup. Then something something, and this joystick shows up for some reason in some context. Everything is baffling and some anxiety is involved.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm dreaming.

That dream where I'm in a gigantic parking lot at night and slowly come to the realization that my car has been towed. Then the zombies come. I try to run but I'm moving slow, like I'm waist-deep in maple syrup. Then something something, and this joystick shows up for some reason in some context. Everything is baffling and some anxiety is involved.

Don't take this the wrong way but I was hoping you were right and I was dead wrong about this....

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Who is the target market for this thing anyway? I mean, does it add all that much to the Neo Geo mini? Why would you connect this thing to your TV when you can download ACA Neogeo games and use your PS4 stick? Steam already has games like KOF 98 on it as well.

There are tons of people on FB who love the Mini and think we're being elitists who are hoarding our precious carts when we bash the Mini. I try to tell them that no, it's just that the Mini sucks and emulation/ACA versions on modern systems are perfectly fine ways of playing Neo. They gobble up every special edition of the Mini and they'll gobble up this too.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I would have preferred to have a new oldstyle, the bean keeps falling off my lap and I always found the stick way too long, dunno if the new one has the same stick.

Connectivity to PC and Mini is not what I need so I'm going to pass here.