Memory card causing MVS to short out?

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I just bought this memory card:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-M...rksid=p2349624.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc

When I insert it into my MV-IC it the MVS makes a ticking sound and the led on the card flashes in sync with the credit LEDs and sound.

I’m not sure what’s that problem as I’ve never used the MV-IC or the card before. I don’t really have any local machines to test the card in. Any ideas what it could be? I tried reversing the ribbon cable on the PCB and it the card lights up solid but isn’t recognized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Hi the design of the cards come from here: https://github.com/neogeodev/NeoMemCard2
So basicly you can build your own if you can solder.

I made a few myself a while ago, normally the LED is always on when connected to a AES or MVS. It only flasches when you write to it.
Booth AES and MVS behave normal with card inserted.
You have to insert the card, that the LED, Neo-Geo Logo and the switch is on top.

I dont think you can damage Hardware if you insert this memory card the wrong way but dont blame me if it does.

Note you have to format the memory card before you use it, press A B C D on Controller 1 to enter memory card menu after reset or turn on.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It’s weird, I can’t even get to the memory manager as the system glitches over and over. If I reverse the ribbon cable the card stays lit and the system boots, but the memory manager doesn’t recognize it. Would be a lot easier if I can find another machine to test on.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So after fiddling with all the connections I can get it to come up with the card inserted. It gives a hardware failure error and if I go into the memory card manager it will see the card inserted but when I try to format it says “memory card write protected”

8d9a649337707e540bc5b5e004e5af69.jpg

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
When the manager says its write protected, i would say the flash chip is dead then.
You might want to check they type of the chip, because the github instructions stated a wrong one ( FM28V020-SG ) with only 3,6V max and the Neo gives out 5V.
Must be a 877-FM18W08-SG.
You can get thouse cheap off aliexpress 3$ 2 pieces.

You can try use the switch when the card is powered off to check if the 2nd bank works but as i said i guess the flashram chip is dead.

Last edited:

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I believe the chip is the correct model

92297428627bbf76b181dc93666e0178.jpg

B bank gives same error

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Yes its the right one.
I can say when the chip is dead, the manager tells you its write protected, because i had the same with dead chips.
However i dont know how to test thease chips if they are ok.
Dont know about your setup, if the light stays on and systems boots up i would say thats correct then and the chip is dead.
I only have AES but other ppl, that got a card from me, use em without problems on MVS.

Contact the seller tell him the chip is faulty, from what i can tell you cant kill the chip if the card is inserted the wrong way:
neomemcard2_no_ss.png

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Memory_card_pinout

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
At this point I’m not 100% on my MV-IC board so I guess I’m going to have to try a new card or board.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I would just desolder the chip and solder a new one in, its very easy to do if you have a heat gun and soldering iron.
2 pieces for 3$ shipped.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I would just desolder the chip and solder a new one in, its very easy to do if you have a heat gun and soldering iron.
2 pieces for 3$ shipped.

I can solder a little but that is a bit beyond me.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Some additional background. I have two MV-IC boards, the first had all it’s pins bent so I sourced another that was dirty but intact. The first postings were for that one.

So after I got frustrated and straightened the pins on my old board and gave that a try. I got a similar result.

So both boards behave the same. I messaged the seller who states that the cards are tested before shipping. If that’s the case, is it possible to test it without formatting?

I guess my next best step would be to try another card?

eclypse

Banned
Ya need to sell me one of those MV-IC boards! Hehe

I had one many years ago.. it was nasty and also had bent pins. Cleaned it up and fixed the pins and even made my own cable set out of 4 old IDE cables and she worked.

Now I got a consolized 6 slot that needs one.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ya need to sell me one of those MV-IC boards! Hehe

I had one many years ago.. it was nasty and also had bent pins. Cleaned it up and fixed the pins and even made my own cable set out of 4 old IDE cables and she worked.

Now I got a consolized 6 slot that needs one.

There’s a member on these forums that’s producing a reproduction, I may have to get one if it turns out mine are bad.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'd definitely try another card, because I'd bet the MV-IC is the problem based on my experience with that error. You may need to give the wiring and boards a closer inspection

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I got a original card today and it works perfectly. Looks like the aftermarket card is bad. The seller has already said he would repair/replace it. I tested it with both my MV-IC boards and the board with the bent pins does not work, but the undamaged on works fine. Maybe someone on here with better skills can repair it, but it’s beyond my abilities.

Thanks for the help guys!

eclypse

Banned
I got a original card today and it works perfectly. Looks like the aftermarket card is bad. The seller has already said he would repair/replace it. I tested it with both my MV-IC boards and the board with the bent pins does not work, but the undamaged on works fine. Maybe someone on here with better skills can repair it, but it’s beyond my abilities.

Thanks for the help guys!

I recently bought one of those repo's.. hopefully on it's way soon.

Be a fun project to take a look at but I dont have a memory card yet.

Should sell it for parts maybe?

Years ago when I had a consolized 4 slot i bought a mv-1c board and it was filthy and had bent pins and was able to fix it. I think I even made my own cables for it our of combining 4 ide cables.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I recently bought one of those repo's.. hopefully on it's way soon.

Be a fun project to take a look at but I dont have a memory card yet.

Should sell it for parts maybe?

Years ago when I had a consolized 4 slot i bought a mv-1c board and it was filthy and had bent pins and was able to fix it. I think I even made my own cables for it our of combining 4 ide cables.

Unfortunately the MVS PCMCIA socket is unobtonium as far as I know. I managed to straighten the pins pretty well but some broke and they appear to be important. :(

eclypse

Banned
Unfortunately the MVS PCMCIA socket is unobtonium as far as I know. I managed to straighten the pins pretty well but some broke and they appear to be important. :(

Yeah that would be a big fix sourcing some replacement pins.

eclypse

Banned

That guy that's making the repo boards obviously is getting the socket made.. maybe he can sell you a socket.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That guy that's making the repo boards obviously is getting the socket made.. maybe he can sell you a socket.

He’s using a standard pcmcia and arranging the pin outs via the PCB. Technically the socket is the same except under mount vs over. It changes the orientation of the pins.