Mvs 6 slot select button

eclypse

Banned
I have bought a consolized 6 slot (jrok) and want a select button. All I have on my custom made arcade controller is a coin and start button.

I can select console mode with the 3.1 unibios but I want to use arcade mode.

So today i tried wiring up a small button to pin 26 and ground using the mvs connector with a hacked gutted jamma connector and nothing.

Am I wiring up a button wrong? It's just an old small momentary button.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Pin 26 to ground on MVS pinout should be fine. Opposite pin on the other side is "select down" I think. You can that too.
Have you used the arcade mode in the Unibios yet?

Last edited:

eclypse

Banned
Pin 26 to ground on MVS pinout should be fine. Opposite pin on the other side is "select down" I think. You can that too.
Have you used the arcade mode in the Unibios yet?

Guess I need to grab a button off an old controller and try again.

Yeah I've tried arcade mode.

eclypse

Banned
Welp I installed the button and tested and again nothing.. I even put a multimeter on it just to make sure the button is doing its job when pressed and it is. 4.82v and none when pressing the button.

Then I put it in console mode just to see if the button works and once again the button will select (change) the game in console mode but nothing in arcade mode!

Wtf!

The unibios 3.1 only has a few settings under general settings:

Disable boot HW test.
Disable in game menu.
Enable 1UP coin move.
Enable arcade protect.

No idea really what the last 3 do.. but I've tried them all.

eclypse

Banned
Oh my.. ive enabled arcade protect and now I cant get into the unibios! Lol..

My 6 slit dies not have a battery installed and figured that setting wouldnt hold after powering off but nope.. she holding! Now I'm stuck.

How does one get into the unibios after setting arcade lock mode?

eclypse

Banned
I've read this on the unibios FAQ.

THE UNIVERSE BIOS
- Official Homepage -

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (MVS / AES)

Still unsure on how to the the UNIVERSE BIOS? In this section you will find the answers to some the the common questions I have been asked. Look to the bottom of the page for questions related to NeoGeo CD systems.

Q: What NeoGeo Hardware do I need?
The UNIVERSE BIOS is designed for MVS hardware (SLOT1 and MULTISLOT) and AES hardware. Take note that it is harder to install on some systems than others, see the Requirements page for more details.

Q: If I'm using a MVS board with the built-in controller ports, can I pause the game when in CONSOLE mode using the SELECT button on the joysticks?
Yes you can. Also, when in ARCADE mode these SELECT buttons will insert coins as long as your not running on multislot hardware with more than one game inserted.

Q: Why am I unable to change game on my multislot with the UNIVERSE BIOS?
This may be because the UNIVERSE BIOS resets all your SoftDIP settings to ensure correct compatability when its first used. Simply go into the Cabinet softDIP settings (in test mode) and set the 'game select' SoftDIP to either 'free' or 'anytime'. Now you will be able to swap games as before.

Nothing on how to reset the settings once I'm locked out.

eclypse

Banned
Found my answer on the arcade lock mode in unibios. Was in the manual.

- Enable Arcade Protect
This setting is designed to allow the Universe Bios to be run easier in an arcade
environment. When enabled either the TEST MODE button must also be pressed or
hard DIP 1 must be ON for button codes at the splash screen to work. This setting
also forces the system to reset if a game should crash instead of giving an error.

eclypse

Banned
From the manual..

Input Crossing
--------------
This feature gives you the ability to use the joystick ports (if the system has them) and
the JAMMA connector for things they weren�t initially designed for. Here�s a breakdown on
how it works.

When using the joystick ports (if the system has them) the select buttons will insert
coins when pressed if running in arcade mode. On MULTISLOT hardware this is disabled
when more than one game found (ensures correct game changing operation).

When using the JAMMA connection for joystick control the coin switches (for getting credits)
become player 1 and player 2 select buttons when in console mode (see known issues).

On a MULTISLOT system the joystick port select buttons and JAMMA connector select game
pins do the same thing (by hardware design). This means you can use the game select buttons
as player 1 and player 2 select buttons too.

On a MULTISLOT system game selecting is only available during the attract mode sequence
when in console mode.

eclypse

Banned
Think I figured it out.. setting the soft dip to free play allows the coin button to be select.

All good.