NGCD Cart Conversions

NexusX

Astra Superstar
So I got to thinking. I know of some Neo Geo CD only games that were hacked to make a cart version. Mainly Crossed Swords II. So my question is this.

Is it possible to do more NGCD games to cart?
My main thought would be Neo Turf Masters. It has a Scotland course that the other cart versions do not have. Would it be possible to convert the NGCD data to a working cart version with the original cart music instead of the CD quality music?

Nowhere near my realm of knowledge but I thought I would throw it out there.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Wow I never knew there were version differences other than the music. It would be great to see the likes of the Neo Turf Masters CD version on a cart but I'd prefer a newly produced cart instead of a conversion. I never liked the idea of doner carts.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Just get a NeoSD Pro. It already supports Neo Turfmasters CD and 50 other CD games, eventually all of them.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Just get a NeoSD Pro. It already supports Neo Turfmasters CD and 50 other CD games, eventually all of them.
This. With the added CD support there's little other incentive to make a conversion unless it's purely for personal use.

NexusX

Astra Superstar

The NeoSD seems the most practical thing. My question was more about the process in how or if they could do it.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict

Sold out and won't be revisited until after the mega sd and mvs cartridges are out the door according to their forums :(

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
The NeoSD seems the most practical thing. My question was more about the process in how or if they could do it.

Yes, I would suspect it's generally possible with most games. Razoola already did it with Crossed Swords II and Ironclad and Zintrick have been converted. Probably more I'm not aware of. The NeoSD is basically doing this conversion on the fly btw.

CD games and cart games both contain essentially the same data. For example PRG files on CD games are equivalent to P-ROMs in carts. Both hold the 68k code. They hold it in slightly different formats but converting from one to the other is pretty straightforward. Similarly CHR files on CDs are equivalent to C-ROMs in carts, holding the sprite data.

Music is very different between the two systems and would be the most challenging part to address. Large games that load a lot would have challenges as whenever the program makes calls to the cd drive, there's obviously no equivalent to that on cart systems. Small games that load into memory once and never again would be easier.

I've never converted a game like this, just going off what I know from programming the Neo and reading the dev wiki.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ironclad wasn't converted. The full cartridge version rom was recovered from the Wii Virtual Console. The fact that we haven't gotten any other CD releases in this manner leads me to believe SNK no longer has any other unreleased roms.

Final Romance 2 was also converted.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes, I would suspect it's generally possible with most games. Razoola already did it with Crossed Swords II and Ironclad and Zintrick have been converted. Probably more I'm not aware of. The NeoSD is basically doing this conversion on the fly btw.

CD games and cart games both contain essentially the same data. For example PRG files on CD games are equivalent to P-ROMs in carts. Both hold the 68k code. They hold it in slightly different formats but converting from one to the other is pretty straightforward. Similarly CHR files on CDs are equivalent to C-ROMs in carts, holding the sprite data.

Music is very different between the two systems and would be the most challenging part to address. Large games that load a lot would have challenges as whenever the program makes calls to the cd drive, there's obviously no equivalent to that on cart systems. Small games that load into memory once and never again would be easier.

I've never converted a game like this, just going off what I know from programming the Neo and reading the dev wiki.

Your making it sound easy here. Which mind you, I wouldn’t know myself as I don’t know how to do it, but if it is this simple & easy to do, then I find it odd that it took so many years for it to be done? Surely your minimizing the hard work of the pioneers who did these conversions (Jeff Kurtz, HP Man, and Razoola) by saying so?

And this is news to me. The first time I’ve ever heard of it.
Other then Metal Slug (combat school mode), Neo Turf Masters (extra course), and Stakes Winner GI (?), I’m not aware of any other significant bonuses or extras implemented into the CD versions of neogeo cart games.

And regarding the 8 cd exclusive titles, the ones that are the most relevant to this type of a discussion, here is the way it stands as of today:

Ironclad - done & perfectly so, as it was the original cart rom code given by SNK through the Nintendo Wii release.
Crossed Swords 2 - done & excellently so, as Razoola went all out with his time & effort.
Zintrick - unfinished but fully playable, yet could be as good as CS2 if work was to be continued & completed.
Final Romance 2 - unfinished but fully playable, same as Zintrick.
Samurai RPG - technically possible but involves too much work, for now at least.
Kof ‘96 Collection - irrelevant & of no interest as it is kind of pointless.
Neo Geo Special - same as above.
ADK Special - sane as above.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The NeoSD Pro thing was news to me too until I checked out the TerraOnion board. The CD music tracks are stored as sound files and converted to ADPCM-B by the cart hardware itself.

I still would love to see a proper cartridge rom of Crossed Swords 2 if it's out there.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Your making it sound easy here.

I didn’t say that. I just said it should generally be possible. I don’t suspect it would be easy at all.

I’m not aware of any other significant bonuses or extras implemented into the CD versions of neogeo cart games.

It’s nice to have the option of the arranged soundtracks.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
It’s nice to have the option of the arranged soundtracks.

I'm guessing converting AST to ADPCM files to work on regular carts results in lower bitrate and sample-rate files that are also mono only (like Rage of the Dragons or Matrimelee)
Still would be really cool to have as an option.