Thread: X68000 Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

X68000 Help

My brother's X68000 CZ-601C stopped booting games a couple years ago. We changed the CMOS battery, but that had no effect. You can hear the system and floppy drive running when powered up. I've measured voltages off of the power supply, and it appears to still be supplying power.

My main question at this point: We no longer have the CRT VGA monitors we used to use with this thing, so I bought this SCART cable on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-SCART-S...-/331636530283

I hooked it up to the Framemeister and it's doing nothing when I power on the X68000. Does the X68000 work with the Framemeister at all? Googling doesn't seem to give a definitive answer.
    Last edited by Neo Alec; 07-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Cham Cham's Banana

Does the TV you are using accept the scan rate of the X68000? Perhaps this can help determine if the scan rate is an issue https://assemblergames.com/threads/x...a-notes.64624/

Big Bang Pro Wrestler

SCART and the X68000 don't get along. I use a VGA adapter running into an OSSC upscaler on mine. Skip the SCART and figure out a way to do VGA.

Since you've swapped the CMOS battery, the settings have been lost and you'll want to boot off of a Master Floppy and run "switch.x" to configure the CMOS settings again. If you need a Master Floppy, write me a PM and I can send one to you.

I strongly recommend recapping the entire X68000 computer. The caps dry out after 20+ years and stop buffering power properly. With the floppy drives, dried out caps can cause them to stop reading and writing properly.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think the Framemeister can do VGA. That's why I need one of the new 480p RGB cables for Dreamcast.

I can try the 1080p Samsung TV instead of the 4K one I'm using now. I noticed when I turn off Auto sync mode on the Framemeister it can lose picture.

We'll probably send the system away for recapping. The last system I tried to recap was the Turbo Duo, and I fixed the audio caps and stopped before I burnt anything up or lifted any traces.

Worlds Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

Get a japanese X68000 multisync monitor or a western multisync monitor and build your own cable/adapter because japanese RGB is different.

Cham Cham's Banana

I had an American CRT a long time ago that worked great with the X68000. For some reason I assumed it would work with the Framemeister. We used to use it with an XRGB2.

If I have to keep an extra CRT monitor around just for the X68000, then that's probably going to be too much of a burden, which is a shame, since my brother has such a sweet collection for it, and I haven't played most of the games.

I've already seen that link.

Thread Information