What Would You Think Of Licensed Reissue Carts?

If some company was able to get the licenses from SNK to reissue limited edition of AES carts – what would you think?

I.e. Metal Slug 1 in a big box with soundtrack, art book etc.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I'd be all for it so long as they were watermarked as being reissues. I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for them though

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
people would eat this up.
not me though.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Absolutely down for it. Most peeps can not afford the stratospheric prices of home carts.

Even the NGDEV Team price range is too high for a lot of ppl as well.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Id love to see figures on how many extra carts are being traded with the introduction of the Super NT and Mega SG. It would be amazing if a market opened up ofr indie developers to create new games for older systems. I wonder if a Neo Geo clone were made would it be good news for NGDev team, would it inspire them to make a new game, who knows. Lets hope so.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

market is already pretty flooded with repro's and it's a pure novelty.
I still think it would sell like crazy. The NES and SNES official re-releases have all sold out / sold well. There is still a large game collector market out there, it's just not for me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
market is already pretty flooded with repro's and it's a pure novelty.
I still think it would sell like crazy. The NES and SNES official re-releases have all sold out / sold well. There is still a large game collector market out there, it's just not for me.

This. If collectors are buying up carts like Gleylancer Reissue, it would not surprise me that these would sell. It's not for me either. If I was still into collecting/playing original Neo Aes games, I would still shoot for buying the originals because that's just the way I am. Thankfully I'm not into collecting games any more. Thank you TerraOnion and Krizz for saving me money.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This. If collectors are buying up carts like Gleylancer Reissue, it would not surprise me that these would sell. It's not for me either. If I was still into collecting/playing original Neo Aes games, I would still shoot for buying the originals because that's just the way I am. Thankfully I'm not into collecting games any more. Thank you TerraOnion and Kirzz for saving me money.

Yeah I'm of the same boat. I know people would eat this shit up but it's not for me.

Zoddhand

n00b
Limited run games sold a gameboy game awhile back.
Would be interesting to see something like that for a neo-geo release.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm all for it so long as the board and cart are clearly marked. Ideally in a way that is visible without opening the cartridge.

Edit: I'm more interested in an SNK issued reprint. I didn't realize licensed meant made by other companies.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
This. I If I was still into collecting/playing original Neo Aes games, I would still shoot for buying the originals because that's just the way I am.

Same.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah I'm of the same boat. I know people would eat this shit up but it's not for me.

What if SNK released it themselves, right there in their online shop? Some sort of anniversary feature that you could actually play? After all, it's nothing Chinese money wouldn't do.

First a limited edition of five games, dumb as they are, it prolly would be Art of Fighting 2, Samurai Shodown II, Fatal Fury 2, The King of Fighters '94 and Top Player's Golf. After it would sell like crazy, I mean prices of those anniversary carts would far surpass those of the original carts on the second hand market, there would be a popularity poll, like with KoF '97, and, surprise, the MS series would be the winner. The rest would be history.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It'll never happen so halt your collectard dreams and settle down.

I'm all for it so long as the board and cart are clearly marked. Ideally in a way that is visible without opening the cartridge.

Edit: I'm more interested in an SNK issued reprint. I didn't realize licensed meant made by other companies.

I think clearly marked would be a must.

SNK is basically a licensing business these day right? Would it being made by "SNK" really matter rather than some third party who: 1. have exclusive rights 2. do a really good job?

For example I'm thinking they would be labelled "25 Year Anniversary Edition" including on the splash screen too. Maybe there are some updated / improved gameplay included on the cart.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Oliverclaude is easily the biggest collectard of the active memberbase, dude would buy a frozen turd if it was stamped SNK.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for them though

Considering the FB kiddies are happily buying up bootlegs left and right, I'm sure there's a considerable market. Problem is, is there enough of a market to move enough of a single game that a production run of a single game is feasible? I don't think there is, especially not something this expensive. Also consider the collectard mentality that once something rare is readily available then suddenly nobody wants to buy it anymore. Consider Flip Shot on MVS: maybe not the best game but it was once pretty rare and commanded a pretty good price at the time. Someone found a case of new stock somewhere which couldn't have been more than a few dozen and the price tanked and still hasn't recovered years later. On the home cart side, remember that Shawn had a pretty hard time selling off just 500 of each of the last few Neo home carts.

Last edited:

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
I don't own an AES and this wouldn't make me want to. At the price it would likely be, I don't think the extras would be enough to entice me either.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
More worthless plastic to sit next to your Playstation Classic on the shelf

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Oliverclaude is easily the biggest collectard of the active memberbase, dude would buy a frozen turd if it was stamped SNK.

Of the active memberbase... well, that crafty stretch certainly narrows it down to what? Some thirty blokes? From which about 10% are collectards, right? Yeah, I'm certainly teh biggest one, out of those three, and I certainly did buy some pretty frozen turds over the time, which is 30+ years in video gaming. Hail to those who didn't, I'm only human, and I think nothing human is alien to me. Seems, it certainly is to them.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
Meh, not a fan of anything like this. I have no problem with new games being developed, but when it comes to old ones I either would like to have the originals or simply use a flashcart or even emulation when available.
Newly licensed carts would be probably better than repros but still kind of fake next to the originals and I see no point in owning fake/substitute/placeholder stuff.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I would be in favor of SNK releasing exact replicas of the rarest games, starting with Metal Slug. The ensuing drama would be very entertaining.