Thread: NeoSD Pro CD support thread

Fu'un-Ken Master

NeoSD Pro CD support thread

Thanks to the awesome work of TerraOnion and Razoola, the NeoSD Pro can now play CD games.

Here is the current list of supported games

Code:
    2020 Super Baseball
    ADK World
    Alpha Mission 2
    Art of Fighting
    Art of Fighting 2
    Blues Journey
    Baseball Stars 2
    Burning Fight
    CD Special 
    Crossed Swords
    Crossed Swords 2
    Cyberlip
    Football Frenzy
    Final Romance 2
    Gowcaizer
    Ghost Pilots
    Ironclad
    Janshin Densetsu: Quest of Jongmaster
    King of Fighters 96 Collection
    Last Blade
    Last Blade 2
    League Bowling
    Last Resort
    Magician Lord
    Mahjong Retsu
    Master of Syougi
    Metal Slug
    Metal Slug 2
    Mutation Nation
    Nam 1975
    Neo Turf Masters
    Ninja Combat
    Ninja Commando
    Puzzle Bobble
    Power Spikes 2
    Puzzled
    Rally Chase
    Riding Hero
    Samurai Shodown
    Samurai Shodown 2
    Samurai Shodown 3 
    Samurai Shodown 4
    Samurai Shodown RPG
    Sengoku
    Soccer Brawl
    Super Sidekicks
    Super Spy
    Viewpoint
    World Heroes
    Windjammers
    Zintrick
    TerraOnion has stated they plan to support all games ultimately.

To play CD games

1. update your firmware to the latest, at least 1.07 r08
    2. download the .neo files pack from the download center in your account at terraonion.com
    3. add all the .neo files onto your SD card, just like normal .neo files
    4. Create a folder on the SD card with the same root name as the .neo, for example to play Neo Turfmasters, create a folder named "turfmastcd".
    5. Stick the CD files in that folder. bin/cue/ccd/img style ISOs work best, as that is what Razoola primarily tested.

I have had mixed success with bin/cue/wav style ISOs. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they have audio blips, and other times they have no audio at all.
    Last edited by city41; 06-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Your missing Magician Lord from your list.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Fu'un-Ken Master

Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    Your missing Magician Lord from your list.
    ah yes, thanks! added

Does Crossed Swords 2 have Razoola's fixes? Was wondering if he was still considering patching the CD version.

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Does Crossed Swords 2 have Razoola's fixes? Was wondering if he was still considering patching the CD version.
    I simply don't have any free time to loook at that right now.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

If I could have
    My time back
    I'd keep it in ma' pants

Because you are working on an FPGA solution to boot CPS1/2 games on Neo Geo. Thanks for confirming. I will have a video out on this by Monday.

Totally understand. If you ever do end up patching the CD version, I'll be all over that.

Cheng's Errand Boy

I can't seem to get zintrick CD to show up in the NeoSD pro menu (I suspect there are a few more CD that are amiss in my menu).
    Do the extra games require a firmware update to show up or am I just unlucky?

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdownita View Post
    I can't seem to get zintrick CD to show up in the NeoSD pro menu (I suspect there are a few more CD that are amiss in my menu).
    Do the extra games require a firmware update to show up or am I just unlucky?
    You'll find it under Oshidashi Zintrix (CD). All current 51 CD games show up in the menu.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi41 View Post
    You'll find it under Oshidashi Zintrix (CD). All current 51 CD games show up in the menu.
    Yup, I should probably edit the .neo header to just be Zintrick (CD) as it seems to be the only one way off compared to its MVS counterpart ... and yes it can be argued that maybe the MVS one has the wrong name but as long as they are close in alphabetical order I don't really mind.

Any chance TerraOnion new NEOSD PRO FW can have a CD-only section as filter?

The more I play the CD games the more the audio sounds good, to be fair playing the music through a real stereo receiver from a real NG CD it is something else but as long as I play through the not so stellar speakers of my gaming TV it sounds really good, and given that's what I do 99% of the time anyway I am very happy with how it turned out.

The fast loading time, including the initial startup time, does breathe new life in these CD versions, and in many cases it makes them preferable to even the NeoSD Pro Load-To-RAM as they are much faster, in less than 10sec you are playing.

I don't know if the std NeoSD (non Pro) has the 8MB or so of required RAM, if it does it will be such a treat for NeoSD owners if TerraOnion would port the feature, but maybe it is just not possible, I since sold mine but if possible it for sure would make the std Neo SD a stronger product and the NeoCD games even more of a treat.

Smart move on TO to use ADPCM-B for the audio, I didn't know NeoGeo CD does not use it at all .... wonder if it is even accessible or just replaced full on by Redbook audio altogether.

Once more the CD support is soooooo freaking coooool !!!!!!
    Last edited by phoenixdownita; 07-04-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Sure, the NGCD can play ADPCM. It has the same sound chip in it as the cart system. SSRPG seems to use it quite a bit.

It just isn't practical to use it to play music in most games, due to the memory limitations and load time. Much easier and better sounding to just use CD red book audio.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Sure, the NGCD can play ADPCM. It has the same sound chip in it as the cart system. SSRPG seems to use it quite a bit.

It just isn't practical to use it to play music in most games, due to the memory limitations and load time. Much easier and better sounding to just use CD red book audio.
    You mean https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php...OUT_NEO_GEO_CD
    is false?

I mean explicitly the ADPCM-B, not the ADPCM-A, if so we should spread the word because it seems many sources state NG-CD does not support it (ADPCM-B).
    Last edited by phoenixdownita; 07-05-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdownita View Post
    You mean https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php...OUT_NEO_GEO_CD
    is false?

I mean explicitly the ADPCM-B, not the ADPCM-A, if so we should spread the word because it seems many sources state NG-CD does not support it (ADPCM-B).
    That's news to me, but if it's there, I assume it's right. No wonder using ADPCM-B doesn't cause any conflicts on the NeoSD Pro then. Sorry for the misinformation, and thanks for the correction.

Crossed Swords Squire

Can you choose region, and access card management or is there enough space to save all games?

Fu'un-Ken Master

Quote Originally Posted by gamerwhat View Post
    Can you choose region, and access card management or is there enough space to save all games?
    The region is based on your AES's region. You can either change it with unibios or the NeoSD if no unibios is installed.

I don't think there's card management. But I would imagine there's plenty of space to store saves.

Thread Information