NeoSD Pro CD support thread

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Thanks to the awesome work of TerraOnion and Razoola, the NeoSD Pro can now play CD games.

Here is the current list of supported games

Code:
2020 Super Baseball
ADK World
Alpha Mission 2
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Blues Journey
Baseball Stars 2
Burning Fight
CD Special 
Crossed Swords
Crossed Swords 2
Cyberlip
Football Frenzy
Final Romance 2
Gowcaizer
Ghost Pilots
Ironclad
Janshin Densetsu: Quest of Jongmaster
King of Fighters 96 Collection
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
League Bowling
Last Resort
Magician Lord
Mahjong Retsu
Master of Syougi
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Mutation Nation
Nam 1975
Neo Turf Masters
Ninja Combat
Ninja Commando
Puzzle Bobble
Power Spikes 2
Puzzled
Rally Chase
Riding Hero
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown 2
Samurai Shodown 3 
Samurai Shodown 4
Samurai Shodown RPG
Sengoku
Soccer Brawl
Super Sidekicks
Super Spy
Viewpoint
World Heroes
Windjammers
Zintrick

TerraOnion has stated they plan to support all games ultimately.

To play CD games

1. update your firmware to the latest, at least 1.07 r08
  2. download the .neo files pack from the download center in your account at terraonion.com
  3. add all the .neo files onto your SD card, just like normal .neo files
  4. Create a folder on the SD card with the same root name as the .neo, for example to play Neo Turfmasters, create a folder named "turfmastcd".
  5. Stick the CD files in that folder. bin/cue/ccd/img style ISOs work best, as that is what Razoola primarily tested.

I have had mixed success with bin/cue/wav style ISOs. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they have audio blips, and other times they have no audio at all.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Your missing Magician Lord from your list.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Does Crossed Swords 2 have Razoola's fixes? Was wondering if he was still considering patching the CD version.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Does Crossed Swords 2 have Razoola's fixes? Was wondering if he was still considering patching the CD version.

I simply don't have any free time to loook at that right now.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I simply don't have any free time to loook at that right now.

Because you are working on an FPGA solution to boot CPS1/2 games on Neo Geo. Thanks for confirming. I will have a video out on this by Monday.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
I can't seem to get zintrick CD to show up in the NeoSD pro menu (I suspect there are a few more CD that are amiss in my menu).
Do the extra games require a firmware update to show up or am I just unlucky?

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
I can't seem to get zintrick CD to show up in the NeoSD pro menu (I suspect there are a few more CD that are amiss in my menu).
Do the extra games require a firmware update to show up or am I just unlucky?

You'll find it under Oshidashi Zintrix (CD). All current 51 CD games show up in the menu.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
You'll find it under Oshidashi Zintrix (CD). All current 51 CD games show up in the menu.

Yup, I should probably edit the .neo header to just be Zintrick (CD) as it seems to be the only one way off compared to its MVS counterpart ... and yes it can be argued that maybe the MVS one has the wrong name but as long as they are close in alphabetical order I don't really mind.

Any chance TerraOnion new NEOSD PRO FW can have a CD-only section as filter?

The more I play the CD games the more the audio sounds good, to be fair playing the music through a real stereo receiver from a real NG CD it is something else but as long as I play through the not so stellar speakers of my gaming TV it sounds really good, and given that's what I do 99% of the time anyway I am very happy with how it turned out.

The fast loading time, including the initial startup time, does breathe new life in these CD versions, and in many cases it makes them preferable to even the NeoSD Pro Load-To-RAM as they are much faster, in less than 10sec you are playing.

I don't know if the std NeoSD (non Pro) has the 8MB or so of required RAM, if it does it will be such a treat for NeoSD owners if TerraOnion would port the feature, but maybe it is just not possible, I since sold mine but if possible it for sure would make the std Neo SD a stronger product and the NeoCD games even more of a treat.

Smart move on TO to use ADPCM-B for the audio, I didn't know NeoGeo CD does not use it at all .... wonder if it is even accessible or just replaced full on by Redbook audio altogether.

Once more the CD support is soooooo freaking coooool !!!!!!

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Sure, the NGCD can play ADPCM. It has the same sound chip in it as the cart system. SSRPG seems to use it quite a bit.

It just isn't practical to use it to play music in most games, due to the memory limitations and load time. Much easier and better sounding to just use CD red book audio.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Sure, the NGCD can play ADPCM. It has the same sound chip in it as the cart system. SSRPG seems to use it quite a bit.

It just isn't practical to use it to play music in most games, due to the memory limitations and load time. Much easier and better sounding to just use CD red book audio.

You mean https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=ADPCM_codecs#ABOUT_NEO_GEO_CD
is false?

I mean explicitly the ADPCM-B, not the ADPCM-A, if so we should spread the word because it seems many sources state NG-CD does not support it (ADPCM-B).

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Can you choose region, and access card management or is there enough space to save all games?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Can you choose region, and access card management or is there enough space to save all games?

The region is based on your AES's region. You can either change it with unibios or the NeoSD if no unibios is installed.

I don't think there's card management. But I would imagine there's plenty of space to store saves.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
Do you guys know where I can get 1.07 R8 firmware?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do you guys know where I can get 1.07 R8 firmware?

You could only get the firmware through the download page or one of the mods at the terraonion site. Every firmware has a assigned matching serial to your Neosd. So you can't just download someone else's firmware.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
I wish to download the firmware in the download page but it is not available.

You could only get the firmware through the download page or one of the mods at the terraonion site. Every firmware has a assigned matching serial to your Neosd. So you can't just download someone else's firmware.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I wish to download the firmware in the download page but it is not available.

You have to register your NeoSD Pro first before you can download anything at the downloadpage (add product).

If you did that all downloads you need will show up when you click download on the right side of the product name.
When the firmware does not show up, it should be already installed.
AFAIK even the Black friday sale Pros came with 1.07 R07, so the R08 should show up.
Well for me it does show up so the site is ok.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Todd posted the Pro firmware is now available in the download section.

Yes, you have to register with your Neosd pro serial number.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
Yes, it is available now in the download section. Thanks!

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I just tried Neo Turf Masters and Metal Slug CD.... this is some amazing wizardry by TO/Razoola. It is ironic that the CD loads faster than roms.

mario64

n00b
I'm having issues getting Zintrick and Ironclad to be recognized by NeoSD Pro. Other CD games work fine. I have the folders and files setup correctly but the cart doesn't even acknowledge that they're present. Any suggestions?

mario64

n00b
Yup, I should probably edit the .neo header to just be Zintrick (CD) as it seems to be the only one way off compared to its MVS counterpart
How exactly can you edit the header for a .neo file? Is there a tool we can use?
Edit: never mind. Got it done

Last edited: