Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 118

Thread: Mark of the Wolves: AES or MVS?

  1. #26
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWarbler View Post
    Do you collect AES or MVS cartridges? If you're thinking of the MVS to save money so you can play it why not use a flashcart or play one of it's many re-releases? Investing in collectables is too risky. It's better to buy what makes you happy.
    I like to have a physical copy of the game, AES preferred. However, for certain games that are just way out of reach financially (Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, etc), I'll get the MVS copy. My collecting of MVS is a recent pursuit. I didn't originally think I'd go for it because I could play all games on my NeoSD, but there's just something appealing from an aesthetic and historical standpoint in having a physical copy. I find this true for myself with many things aside from games.

    MOTW is an odd duck, because its AES counterpart is right on that price precipice where I'm hesitant to spend that much. However, it's MVS counterpart is more expensive than most other MVS carts. If I can assume both versions will steadily hold their value, which it seems is the case from the feedback I've received, then I'm still on the fence about which way to go (if I get one at all). However, if someone had mentioned a negative about one or the other, it might have made the decision easier. So that's really what I was looking for...any indicator that might have made the decision easier.

    In any case, I definitely like my NeoSD and will probably get the Pro version once it's available. I passed up buying it direct from Terraonion because I wanted to get it from stoneagegamer, but they've yet to stock it. I primarily play on flashcarts on all of my various systems, but I still like collecting physical games if I really like the game.

  2. #27
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Singapore

    Posts
    37
    Sounds like you should save up and buy the AES. Part of collecting is patience. The AES cart would suit your collection better. Neo Geo is a really expensive hobby. Don't get sucked in beyond what you can afford and don't get suckered by the promise of making a profit.

  3. #28
    Edo Express Delivery Guy
    Cousin_Itt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth

    Posts
    343
    I’d just get the Mvs cart. Less risk of getting a boot(if you’re careful and check your bases anyway). I’d rather spend that spare grand on a trip or actually invest in an ira.

  4. #29
    King's Dry Cleaner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Well you just made the "do not sell to" list.
    Alright, let me get this straight.

    In the past (3 years ago I think), I got a good deal on MVS RBFF1, 2 and Special. I've played the hell out of them and really enjoyed playing both against the CPU and friends.

    1 year ago, I've found out that those carts where now collecting dust in the closet and since I'd rather have other people enjoying the game than hoarding them, I decided to sell them.
    I gotta admit, when I went looking for the prices I discovered they went pretty high, but decided to keep them honest (FIY, I've sold all 3 for 190€ shipped to a friend on another forum).

    So, does that qualify me as a flipper?

  5. #30
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,758
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    Your comment makes little sense. The NeoSD is a great tool for playing games, but it's not a substitution for collecting. That's like saying once a person has an mp3 collection, they should toss out all their vinyl records. But I'm guessing you probably think vinyl is stupid, too, so we probably won't find common ground.
    Collecting in the first place is the problem. Why have them at all if they just sit on a shelf while the NeoSD is used?


    !!

  6. #31
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Collecting in the first place is the problem. Why have them at all if they just sit on a shelf while the NeoSD is used?
    You're not a collector. That's fine. Some people are. I'm not going to get rid of my records just because I listen to digital formats most of the time, now.

    Even if I never played the physical copies, I still like having that piece of history. However, they do serve a practical purpose with regards to redundancy and backup. If your NeoSD dies, good luck finding a replacement in any sort of reasonable time frame.

  7. #32
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    If your NeoSD dies, good luck finding a replacement in any sort of reasonable time frame.
    God forbid he has to wait a week or two to play Neo-Geo video games.

  8. #33
    I survived Secret Santa
    It wasn't Easy.
    JoeAwesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Texas

    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    If your NeoSD dies, good luck finding a replacement in any sort of reasonable time frame.
    Why does everything need to be available on-demand? You can find MVS carts fairly quickly if you're willing to pay a reasonable value. If you need it now, go to ebay. No wait at all if you have the money.

    Edit: RAZO beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Famicommander View Post
    Unify the IWGP Heavyweight, Jr Heavyweight...
    Spoiler:

  9. #34
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAwesome View Post
    Why does everything need to be available on-demand? You can find MVS carts fairly quickly if you're willing to pay a reasonable value.
    I buy carts. I thought that was pretty clear in the thread. And to clarify my last post, you'll likely be waiting months to replace a NeoSD, not a week or two.

    As for the more distant future, who knows if Terraonion or anyone else will continue making flash carts for the Neo Geo. This is one reason why having a collection of physical games is good.

  10. #35
    Docking Tech Inventor Dr Docking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    West Korea

    Posts
    24
    If you were a 'magician' as you claim to be you'd have given yourself a massive cock so as to not have to hoard old video games as a substitute. Perhaps I can help you at my clinic? No doubt you'd have to sell your entire beloved collection to pay for the penis enlargement procedure but hey I have given you the offer.
    Peter Tskilias showing his wife Sally his newly completed hardening and engraving procedure done by none other than the lovely Dr Docking.


  11. #36
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Docking View Post
    If you were a 'magician' as you claim to be you'd have given yourself a massive cock so as to not have to hoard old video games as a substitute. Perhaps I can help you at my clinic? No doubt you'd have to sell your entire beloved collection to pay for the penis enlargement procedure but hey I have given you the offer.
    heh.

    Man, this is a strange forum.

  12. #37
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    I buy carts. I thought that was pretty clear in the thread. And to clarify my last post, you'll likely be waiting months to replace a NeoSD, not a week or two.

    As for the more distant future, who knows if Terraonion or anyone else will continue making flash carts for the Neo Geo. This is one reason why having a collection of physical games is good.
    God forbid you have to wait months to play Neo-Geo video games.

  13. #38
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    God forbid you have to wait months to play Neo-Geo video games.
    I see a number of people on this forum have large collections of physical Neo Geo games. Why don't you go harass them for a while?

  14. #39
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,758
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    I see a number of people on this forum have large collections of physical Neo Geo games. Why don't you go harass them for a while?
    Wait what? No one here has large collections of physical Neo Geo games. Where do you think you are?


    !!

  15. #40
    Mai's Apprentice
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyWarbler View Post
    Do you collect AES or MVS cartridges? If you're thinking of the MVS to save money so you can play it why not use a flashcart or play one of it's many re-releases? Investing in collectables is too risky. It's better to buy what makes you happy.
    I’ve never once collected games as an investment. But I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you my AES shit has appreciated faster than any 401k or other investment...which is fucking sad lol.

    But I’m. It selling them so it really doesn’t matter

  16. #41
    I survived Secret Santa
    It wasn't Easy.
    JoeAwesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Texas

    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    I buy carts. I thought that was pretty clear in the thread. And to clarify my last post, you'll likely be waiting months to replace a NeoSD, not a week or two.

    As for the more distant future, who knows if Terraonion or anyone else will continue making flash carts for the Neo Geo. This is one reason why having a collection of physical games is good.
    So you're saying I should hoard NeoSDs because they may not make more in the distant future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Famicommander View Post
    Unify the IWGP Heavyweight, Jr Heavyweight...
    Spoiler:

  17. #42
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAwesome View Post
    So you're saying I should hoard NeoSDs because they may not make more in the distant future?
    Good luck finding any to hoard.

  18. #43
    Armored Scrum Object
    NexusX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    So you're asking which one can you flip harder later? This should end well.
    Oh mighty panda lord.... your foresight is golden. Truer words have not been said.

  19. #44

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,229
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    I see a number of people on this forum have large collections of physical Neo Geo games. Why don't you go harass them for a while?
    Most of the collections in the gallery belong to people who have been collecting for years. I started mine in the 90's. I do sometimes wonder why anyone would want to start now.

    You state some true facts, but you said the magic words in your OP for this forum to pile on. It's best to give up now.

  20. #45
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    It's best to give up now.
    Yeah, I kinda gave up a couple posts ago. I'll say it once to be explicit and then that'll be that for me: I'm not buying anything for Neo Geo (or for any other game system) to make money. Did I have a Neo Geo AES in 1990? Yep. Is there a story about why I collect? Yep. But no one here is gonna give a shit.

  21. #46
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Island™

    Posts
    12,553
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    Yeah, I kinda gave up a couple posts ago. I'll say it once to be explicit and then that'll be that for me: I'm not buying anything for Neo Geo (or for any other game system) to make money. Did I have a Neo Geo AES in 1990? Yep. Is there a story about why I collect? Yep. But no one here is gonna give a shit.
    You're right, no one cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

  22. #47
    King's Dry Cleaner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    You're right, no one cares.
    I'm still waiting for a reply, sir.

  23. #48
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Island™

    Posts
    12,553
    Quote Originally Posted by donluca View Post
    I'm still waiting for a reply, sir.
    You're a euro, so of course it's flipping. NEXT.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

  24. #49
    Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,605
    If you want a video game and you can afford it, buy it.

    Who gives a fuck if it holds its monetary value? If I woke up tomorrow and my collection was worthless. I wouldn't give two fucks. I enjoy playing the games, and that's why I bought them.

    If you need certainty that you could sell a game for equal or more money than you initially "invested", then you shouldn't be buying video games.

  25. #50
    A Joala is for Life.
    Not Just Christmas.
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianLord View Post
    ...no one here is gonna give a shit.
    What were you expecting?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •