Mark of the Wolves: AES or MVS?

Dr Docking

out of control fake account
Greetings MagicianLord,

The Doctor is here, investing in the homecart Neo Geos is a high risk high reward proposition. Your best bet is to buy them on ebay and from japanese online retailers. There is a possibility of receiving fakes, which is why you must ask for photos of the insert and manual first! Then determine if they "look real" or not based on the jpegs.

Don't wait any longer as homecarts will only continue to rise in price lowering your profit when you cash out, and remember The Furture Is Now.

xxDr.Dockingxx

NexusX

Astra Superstar
So I can play the game equally as well on either. But which is likely the better investment?

Get the NCI version on AES. I heard those versions are going to SOAR soon. At least for investment purposes..... better yet... buy 3 of them. They are a great deal after all!

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Definitely MVS. When the apocalypse hits, the cardboard box will last longer in the burn barrel you’re huddled around.

This made me laugh hard haha

Best bet, go with an MVS one
If buying from freebay ask for PCB pics, most sellers are scammers there ...

Got one original years ago for 20eur... Now the prices are insane...

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Definitely MVS. When the apocalypse hits, the cardboard box will last longer in the burn barrel you’re huddled around.

Mosdef. I put a Bic lighter in my Neo Turf Masters box and labeled it "Survival Kit".

This made me laugh hard haha

Best bet, go with an MVS one
If buying from freebay ask for PCB pics, most sellers are scammers there ...

Got one original years ago for 20eur... Now the prices are insane...

Yeah, eBay is really the only place I know to find Neo Geo stuff. There's the Neo Geo store, and I do think they have an AES copy of MOTW now, but usually they're out of stock of everything.

I probably just won't buy it, and will keep playing on the NeoSD. Don't want to pay $1200 or $250 now and then find out it's worth $20 2 years from now.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You have a NeoSD and yet you engaged the forum because you were seriously contemplating the purchase of the actual cartridge? Worse yet you now concede its value is of concern? You weren't thinking you should invest in video games did you? Lol wow.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
So you're asking which one can you flip harder later? This should end well.

Honest question: what's wrong with asking which of the two will better retain their value over time?

We all go through phases in our lives where we're obsessed with something, be it photography equipment, hi-fi, videogames, etc... And then one day we'll just get tired of it and want to invest in a new hobby and sell what we bought previously.

Is it really frowned that hard upon discussing if MVS or AES will better retain their value in, say, 3-5 years?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Honest question: what's wrong with asking which of the two will better retain their value over time?

We all go through phases in our lives where we're obsessed with something, be it photography equipment, hi-fi, videogames, etc... And then one day we'll just get tired of it and want to invest in a new hobby and sell what we bought previously.

Is it really frowned that hard upon discussing if MVS or AES will better retain their value in, say, 3-5 years?

Well MVS carts had valued a lot as well.

The only 2mvs carts I could found for sale today where 180 / 200 USD that's insane !

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Yes, because then your only interested in owning the game to eventually flip, and not just play.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Well you just made the "do not sell to" list.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They're video games. If you want to invest money buy some mutual funds.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

There are many communities that would humor speculation talk. This just isn't one of them.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Yes, because then your only interested in owning the game to eventually flip, and not just play.

I think that's a black and white view of a subject with shades of gray. "Flip" tends to imply purchasing with the intent to sell for profit, usually in the short term. This is not the same as purchasing something you plan to use and enjoy, and then hope you can get your money out of later if you need/want to.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
You have a NeoSD and yet you engaged the forum because you were seriously contemplating the purchase of the actual cartridge? Worse yet you now concede its value is of concern? You weren't thinking you should invest in video games did you? Lol wow.

Your comment makes little sense. The NeoSD is a great tool for playing games, but it's not a substitution for collecting. That's like saying once a person has an mp3 collection, they should toss out all their vinyl records. But I'm guessing you probably think vinyl is stupid, too, so we probably won't find common ground.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I think that's a black and white view of a subject with shades of gray. "Flip" tends to imply purchasing with the intent to sell for profit, usually in the short term. This is not the same as purchasing something you plan to use and enjoy, and then hope you can get your money out of later if you need/want to.

The price of MOTW has never fallen. This can be said for most retro video games.

Unless Yaton or SheepNova come out of nowhere with a warehouse full of carts. Your "investment" is pretty safe.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The price of MOTW has never fallen.

This is incorrect.

The price of MOTW on MVS is currently less than it was upon release.

For many years the cart price fluctuated. For example, I paid $135 for it in 2014, yet it was subsequently available for $100 or less for a couple of years on eBay. Much like Blazing Star, MOTW is a relatively common cart and the price is artificially high due to the perceived quality and desirability of the game rather than its rarity.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
All these cartridges will be worth bunk in 40 years. The generation being born now is going to look at their grandparents shelves of physical games, movies, music and literature, and they'll send it all to Goodwill. Why bother with all that physical stuff when every bit of it and more is accessible from their wristwatch or mobile phone?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
All these cartridges will be worth bunk in 40 years. The generation being born now is going to look at their grandparents shelves of physical games, movies, music and literature, and they'll send it all to Goodwill. Why bother with all that physical stuff when every bit of it and more is accessible from their wristwatch or mobile phone?
I see that as one possibility. It's also possible there will be a minority who finds physical media novel and still enjoys collecting it. Perhaps kind of like collectors of vinyl or other outdated media now. They will still be antiques, and the games of lesser print runs may still be valuable as historical items.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
This is incorrect.

The price of MOTW on MVS is currently less than it was upon release.

For many years the cart price fluctuated. For example, I paid $135 for it in 2014, yet it was subsequently available for $100 or less for a couple of years on eBay. Much like Blazing Star, MOTW is a relatively common cart and the price is artificially high due to the perceived quality and desirability of the game rather than its rarity.

I was mainly referring to post SNK times, but either way it seems I was wrong.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Do you collect AES or MVS cartridges? If you're thinking of the MVS to save money so you can play it why not use a flashcart or play one of it's many re-releases? Investing in collectables is too risky. It's better to buy what makes you happy.