Mark of the Wolves: AES or MVS?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
There is nothing like the real thing, I wonder will the next generation agree seeing as they will have FPGA solutions. Ill take my chunky MVS cart any day though.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
There is nothing like the real thing, I wonder will the next generation agree seeing as they will have FPGA solutions. Ill take my chunky MVS cart any day though.

Neosd plays the game the same as the aes and MVS version. So there's that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Neosd plays the game the same as the aes and MVS version. So there's that.

Word. Dudes always like to come up with reasons why they buy the original carts. The real reason is they want to put them on the shelf and collect them and that's that. No problem with that if that's what they like to do but making up some bullshit reason like games take too long to flash on a NeoSd (Most games take under a minute) or what if the NeoSd cart stops working 20 years from now or owning a flash cart makes me want to switch games more frequently, or it's not like the real thing lol, it's all bullshit.

It's nostalgic for some who actually did play these games in the arcade or owned a home console when they were younger like most of the old tymers here and for some of the newer generation who are into retro collecting, it's just some fad. Whatever floats your boat.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I buy carts. I thought that was pretty clear in the thread. And to clarify my last post, you'll likely be waiting months to replace a NeoSD, not a week or two.

As for the more distant future, who knows if Terraonion or anyone else will continue making flash carts for the Neo Geo. This is one reason why having a collection of physical games is good.

what if the physical game fails? WHAT THE FUCK WILL YOU DO THEN? WHAT IF YOUR AES FAILS?????? FUCK!!!!

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Word. Dudes always like to come up with reasons why they buy the original carts. The real reason is they want to put them on the shelf and collect them and that's that. No problem with that if that's what they like to do but making up some bullshit reason like games take too long to flash on a NeoSd (Most games take under a minute) or what if the NeoSd cart stops working 20 years from now or owning a flash cart makes me want to switch games more frequently, or it's not like the real thing lol, it's all bullshit.

It's nostalgic for some who actually did play these games in the arcade or owned a home console when they were younger like most of the old tymers here and for some of the newer generation who are into retro collecting, it's just some fad. Whatever floats your boat.

This. Collect if you want, just don't be a fagit about it like you are doing now.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Yeah. For me original carts are just something I had growing up, and just never stopped. You can get the same experience from a flash cart.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member

Excellent post
There really is no rational justification, in my case AES has just always been my passion, and I can remember in most cases when and where I got the games and what friends hooked me up with them, etc, and the fun I've had with them over the years.

Technological advances with flash carts etc. wouldn't make it any easier for me to part with them for those types of reasons

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Honest question: what's wrong with asking which of the two will better retain their value over time?

If nobody answered this already. Videogames should never be considered an investment. It's the main reason this hobby has gone to shit over the years.

This dogshit mentality is why I hate companies like Limited Run games. They cater 100% to this faggotry of being one of the few to own a game and then sell it years for later for stupid money.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
This is the first release in our retro Lucasfilm "mint on sealed card" line-up. Each game has been blister packed to an authentic 9" x 6" card. Each card will be equipped with a method for accessing the game without damaging the packaging - allowing you to play and display!

SW-NES_540x.png

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Jesus christ, that is some dumb cringey bullshit right there.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Aren't complete copies of star wars under 100$? Who would pay more for somebody completely unrelated to the franchise to make a box?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Aren't complete copies of star wars under 100$? Who would pay more for somebody completely unrelated to the franchise to make a box?

The same faggots who bought those re-released Street Fighter II SNES Carts.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
If nobody answered this already. Videogames should never be considered an investment. It's the main reason this hobby has gone to shit over the years.

This dogshit mentality is why I hate companies like Limited Run games. They cater 100% to this faggotry of being one of the few to own a game and then sell it years for later for stupid money.

I feel like everyone's deliberately missing the point to prove their cause (which is absolutely a right one, but still).

I'm not saying (and nor is the OP, btw) that we should buy games as a good investment for the future.

What I'm saying is that if I'm set in buying one or more games and I'm presented with the choice of multiple editions, what's wrong in choosing one which one day, if I ever get tired of that game (which may not happen at all), will (maybe) better retain its value?

It's like getting our choice for a new car down to a Mercedes or BMW and since we like them both the same, choosing the one which will hold value better.

I honestly can't see anything wrong in that. It's not deliberately choosing to buy that precise game for its value, rather than having a choice and getting one which makes the most sense considering all its aspects.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Here I'll make it simple. You should be excited to go out and buy the game to enjoy it for what it is.

A Videogame.

The thought of putting a value to something like that after you've finished it shouldn't even be a thought. You buy games to enjoy them. That's all that should matter.

Think of it like this.

For example you decide to go out and buy a game you've really wanted to play. You find out there are multiple versions of the same game but the most expensive one turns out to be a really bad bug filled version of that game rendering it really near unplayable. You find out however the better version is also the cheapest and you decide to still pass on it because you want to have the more valuable game but with the shitter game play.

This has happened many times before with so many games that people fucking forget to look beyond the value of what the game is and weather or not it's worth buying only to keep on a shelf or flip it years later to some soy boy who never realized that games were never meant to be an investment to begin with.

Don't let yourself get sucked into wasting money on shit when you can sometimes get the same experience for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Here I'll make it simple. You should be excited to go out and buy the game to enjoy it for what it is.

This is an impossible situation nowadays, everyone cares more about what it costs and what they can make down the line when they sell it. I'm pretty much done with the current state of the hobby, buncha fucking hung up fagets that care more about pics and prices than actual gameplay and art that went into it in the first place.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This is an impossible situation nowadays, everyone cares more about what it costs and what they can make down the line when they sell it. I'm pretty much done with the current state of the hobby, buncha fucking hung up fagets that care more about pics and prices than actual gameplay and art that went into it in the first place.

I don't wholly disagree with you but I still enjoy the random current gen game these days. I like my Ps4 and I enjoy my Switch. I don't think everyone thinks like this which is sad but I'd like to think that deep down some people realize they're being dumbasses with all this buy it to sell it later shit.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
The same faggots who bought those re-released Street Fighter II SNES Carts.

You gotta understand. I had no idea the "hobby" was like this until recently. The stuff I collect (Neo Geo, Arcade, and Dreamcast/Naomi) doesn't come up much in casual gaming circles. Its insane to me that people would pay 100+ plus for a re-release of SF2 that isn't guaranteed to work with a console when a complete copy of the original print in perfect condition is still between 60$ and 100$. Even the investment angle doesn't make much sense. It makes me want to stick my head back into the dirt and go back to playing Crazy Taxi all day.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Far from the worst idea in this thread, actually. As long as it’s the original version ;)

I've got 10 copies of the original DC game and 5 Naomi Cartridges. Ensuring that future humanity will be able to take that first hill while the Offspring blares is why I got into the hobby.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
To the OP: Please buy a Mark of the Wolves home cart. You should only search for a copy that's based in France because French versions are highly sought after.

Take the same cart, get it graded. Post on here the whole process.

Watch as people slowly die in misery as they come to terms of not owning their own French procured home cart copy of Mark of the Wolves. If you find one on eBay, even better.

Post photos. Let your HaT0rZ be your M0tIvAt0rZ.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

A Videogame.

The thought of putting a value to something like that after you've finished it shouldn't even be a thought. You buy games to enjoy them. That's all that should matter.

Think of it like this.

For example you decide to go out and buy a game you've really wanted to play. You find out there are multiple versions of the same game but the most expensive one turns out to be a really bad bug filled version of that game rendering it really near unplayable. You find out however the better version is also the cheapest and you decide to still pass on it because you want to have the more valuable game but with the shitter game play.

This has happened many times before with so many games that people fucking forget to look beyond the value of what the game is and weather or not it's worth buying only to keep on a shelf or flip it years later to some soy boy who never realized that games were never meant to be an investment to begin with.

Don't let yourself get sucked into wasting money on shit when you can sometimes get the same experience for a fraction of the cost.

This doesn't hold up and once again, I can't shake the feeling people are deliberately understanding other things than those that have been written.

Your example lacks the most important aspect of the topic, which is the scope, or priority of the buyer.

We're talking about gamers here and, as a gamer, our top priority is getting the best version of the game possible, or the one we feel most emotionally attached to (for whatever reasons).
With that out of the way, I want to reiterate again: why should I not consider resell value when buying a game? What the fuck is wrong with that? The OP wants MotW because he fucking likes it and wants to play it or add it to his collection. If he wanted just to buy a game to flip it, there are way more sought after games around than MotW. And yet people has gone for the throat without thinking twice.

I don't understand it.

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Yeah you guys are being too hard on the OP. We can wring our hands over the collectible nature of these games all we want (they are collectibles at this point, it's just a fact), but he has a legitimate question

the cost of entry on the MVS cart is a lot lower so you probably have a lot less to potentially lose holding it long term, its a hot game with great game play and will always be in demand

I think for games like this the AES market has mostly stabilized but AES is way more niche these days, it may be harder to move the game later, you have to prove to unknown buyers its not fake by opening up the cart etc, its more of a pain in the ass

hope that helps.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This doesn't hold up and once again, I can't shake the feeling people are deliberately understanding other things than those that have been written.

Your example lacks the most important aspect of the topic, which is the scope, or priority of the buyer.

We're talking about gamers here and, as a gamer, our top priority is getting the best version of the game possible, or the one we feel most emotionally attached to (for whatever reasons).
With that out of the way, I want to reiterate again: why should I not consider resell value when buying a game? What the fuck is wrong with that? The OP wants MotW because he fucking likes it and wants to play it or add it to his collection. If he wanted just to buy a game to flip it, there are way more sought after games around than MotW. And yet people has gone for the throat without thinking twice.

I don't understand it.

Ahh I get it. So if it's more expensive and flipper friendly, buy it. If it's a cheaper version in a different format, don't buy it. You get the same experience from both but go with the one you could make more money off a few years from now. Makes Sense.

You really are the problem with this hobby. When I started buying Neo-Geo games both in Aes and Mvs format, my intentions were never to sell them and I said that multiple times here on this forum. Whether I paid $40 for a game or $800, it didn't matter. I purchased them because I enjoyed playing them and owning them. I also loved the way the Aes format was presented in a nifty case, cool looking cart with label, and manual.

I later on decided to sell the original carts once the NeoSd came out and I gave it a full year test run. Why was I going to own a bunch of games when It was much more convenient to just have one that could play all.

Your mindset is the reason the hobby has gone to shit. It's no longer about just a enjoying a cool game but how much money you could make for it when it comes time to sell.

Last edited:

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Ahh I get it. So if it's more expensive and flipper friendly, buy it. If it's a cheaper version in a different format, don't buy it. You get the same experience from both but go with the one you could make more money off a few years from now. Makes Sense.

You really are the problem with this hobby. When I started buying Neo-Geo games both in Aes and Mvs format, my intentions were never to sell them and I said that multiple times here on this forum. Whether I paid $40 for a game or $800, it didn't matter. I purchased them because I enjoyed playing them and owning them. I also loved the way the Aes format was presented in a nifty case, cool looking cart with label, and manual.

I later on decided to sell the original carts once the NeoSd came out and I gave it a full year test run. Why was I going to own a bunch of games when It was much more convenient to just have one that could play all.

Your mindset is the reason the hobby has gone to shit. It's no longer about just a enjoying a cool game but how much money you could make for it when it comes time to sell.

he's from italy, it's a cultural thing?