Memory Card PCMCIA

NGH-045

n00b
Hello there.

I tried to find an answer, but the Wiki does not seem to work right now. Not sure why.

So, can I use a standard PCMCIA Adapter or Slot to read and write Data on the Neo Geo IC8 Memory Card to make backups of my saves? I do not want to put it in without asking here first.

Thanks for any answers. If someone knows if that question is already answered maybe you could point me into the right direction.

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
Yes, but only work in PCMCIA SRAM memory cards, I have one of them and you can save hiscores of the all Neo Geo games.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
What progress would you want to save and backup? The card doesn't hold high scores. Most of things on it are places you can get back to in about 30 minutes. Slug saves are just basically level select features. Maybe Crossed Swords would have a bit of a time sink into it?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What progress would you want to save and backup? The card doesn't hold high scores. Most of things on it are places you can get back to in about 30 minutes. Slug saves are just basically level select features. Maybe Crossed Swords would have a bit of a time sink into it?
I've got saves for most games and would hate to lose all of it.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
NTM tracks statistics from all rounds played with card present, IIRC.

NGH-045

n00b
So I guess no one here ever tried putting an IC8 into an PCMCIA card slot on a PC to see its content? :(

Even if the data is not directly readable a dd should still work for a raw read and write. I'll see what I can find out.

Last edited:

NGH-045

n00b
Gave it a test-run: While a normal PCMCIA card gets recognized in an Linux environment and mounts, a IC8 card unfortunately does not even get recognized and does not show up in the disk management. So there seems to be no simple way to backup your card with a standard computer.

Easiest way for a backup seems to be a copy from card to card over the AES menu.

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Have you only tried real SNK Memcards? Maybe better luck with a NeoSaveMasta card?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In theory, it should be possible to write software like Xplorer360, but for reading/writing Neo Geo memory cards

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The neo geo memory cards are memory (sram) based so they arent going to show up as a block device (hard drive) in linux. I would guess you likely will need to use the mtd driver.

NGH-045

n00b
The neo geo memory cards are memory (sram) based so they arent going to show up as a block device (hard drive) in linux. I would guess you likely will need to use the mtd driver.

Ah that makes sense. Thank you! I will try to get access via MTD then.