Metal Slug 3 Resets

Dilandau

n00b
My copy of Metal Slug 3 will start and run in attract mode fine but when you go to play as soon as it finishes the character select screen animation and goes to player control the 'please wait' text garbles and the game resets. The reset always occurs at exactly the same spot. I don't see any physical damage on either of the boards and the game used to work fine.

Is this likely an issues with the P Rom chips or something else entirely?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Clean the game and slots. If it's MVS, clear the backup ram.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Clean like mentioned, if it still does it, run a CRC check.

Dilandau

n00b
Clean like mentioned, if it still does it, run a CRC check.

Thank you both for the input. The cartridge has been cleaned with no improvement.

Playing it in a MV-1C if that helps, other games work fine.

I'll try clearing the backup RAM when I get home, is the CRC check something you can do without the unibios? With no cartridge inserted I get the cross hatch.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Is this a PROGLBA pcb or a PROBK1 pcb?
BB

wuemura

n00b
Looks like it is a memory error related issue, first, check to see if the game plays ok in another hardware. Pay close attention to areas on the hardware that has electrolytic capacitors on it because they leak over time and when it does, it cut pads, tracks and do a whole mess on the board.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If you need somebody to take a look at it,drop me an e-mail....
BB

Dilandau

n00b
If you need somebody to take a look at it,drop me an e-mail....
BB

Thank you, I appreciate it.

For now though I think I'll try getting a replacement P1 and P2 Rom chip made. Am I understanding correctly that the M27C322-100F1 would be a drop in replacement for the mask roms?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Yes. The P1 and P2 require a 322. Make sure they are the encypted ones for the PROGBLA board. You can eliminate the PROGBLA board altogether if you burn the two unencrypted p1 and p2 roms and place them on a PROGBK1 board with your v roms and correct settings.