Neo Cab - Arcing sound came from behind Monitor

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Today I was play testing some games I got in a "lot" recently when the game screen cut off to black with some lines off to the side I believe when suddenly I heard what sounded like Electrical Arcing. I quick opened the coin door and shut off the Cab (A Neo 4slot cab running a 6slot board)

There was a light smell of burning to be expected

after a few minutes I unplugged the Cab and started to unhook the 6 slot it on visual inspection seems fine. I now have the Cabinet turned around and remove the top board, I can see the monitor no burn marks but there is a ground wire thats joined to a second grounding wire that just was hanging loose with the screw and a single nut still attached near the rear of the monitor

im thinking maybe it was double nutted to the frame and came off but Im not sure.

Any suggestions before i attempt to turn it back on (no MVS board) and see whats happening back there? would love any ideas Thanks

Have someone turn the cab on while you watch the flyback on the monitor chassis, flybacks get old and the casing gets brittle and cracks over time and fails to insulate the high voltage it produces, and they wil shoot a high voltage spark from the flyback to like the monitor frame usually from out of a crack on the casing of the flyback, which is super easy to see and hear...

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Have someone turn the cab on while you watch the flyback on the monitor chassis, flybacks get old and the casing gets brittle and cracks over time and fails to insulate the high voltage it produces, and they wil shoot a high voltage spark from the flyback to like the monitor frame usually from out of a crack on the casing of the flyback, which is super easy to see and hear...

Will do ! Thank you for the reply , I just watched a random monitor video and they mentioned this one as well I was wondering if that was possibly it.

Im gonna set it up so I can turn it on & off from a power strip i can reach from the back I hope that does the trick as no one else will be home till late. (ill put on some saftey glassess as well)

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
IMG_9357.jpegIMG_9361.jpegIMG_9368.jpeg

The Arc is occurring in-between the flyback and the metal where i have the pencil held in the photo its a very tight spot and i cant see anything other than the arc.
The back of my cab is a tight area until i get the mid panel removed which seems to have the original wood Staples/ Nails in it so im a lil worried about getting it off in one piece.

Im considering reaching out to one of the local arcade repairs as Portland area seems to have a few and I'm concerned my Very rusty soldering skills may damage the board if i work on it alone

some work is listed as being done in 2014 as you can see in pic 2

I randomly saw some posts /vids on the web of people siliconing the small cracks on flybacks im not sure how supported this idea is it seems like a bandaid or maybe a bad idea

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I had a pvm monitor do the same thing and just scrapped it. Rather just spend some money and get a new monitor or cab over having something serious happen.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I agree with taking it into a shop. I've worked on CRT monitors but something like that is where I draw the line for myself. Arcing and possible "get fucked" voltages keep me at arms length with these repairs lol

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I had a pvm monitor do the same thing and just scrapped it. Rather just spend some money and get a new monitor or cab over having something serious happen.

I agree with taking it into a shop. I've worked on CRT monitors but something like that is where I draw the line for myself. Arcing and possible "get fucked" voltages keep me at arms length with these repairs lol

Agreed , Thanks guys! Im usually more hands on with things but with not having a work bench anymore im gonna shop this job out.
And I want it done right lol , Thanks again

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
UPDATE-I got one reply so far only from PAC and it was gentlemen that told me he lived 30 miles away he couldn't help but said he was sure someone else would. That was 2 weeks ago i believe
The Amusement Doc never replied at all to a voice mail message i left.

This Sucks. I am bummed to say the least, I was already down about being in a new city and crap but damn now i have no machine and had just got a bunch of carts in at the time it broke.FUKK!

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Did you ever pinpoint the final problem? Is a new flyback all you need? If you can get the board out and check the flyback for cracks then you'll know for sure. Sounds like that's it though. If you can source a proper flyback replacement, I'm more than happy to help fix it.

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Did you ever pinpoint the final problem? Is a new flyback all you need? If you can get the board out and check the flyback for cracks then you'll know for sure. Sounds like that's it though. If you can source a proper flyback replacement, I'm more than happy to help fix it.

Thanks DasiyAge ! Im 95 percent sure its the flyback I havent ordered a replacement yet, I was hoping to hear more/another reply from PAC but i cant even find their site again lol and the Doc doesnt return phone or email.

I have to take care of some Family stuff ouuta out for a minute but ill be back by mid August, we can message more about it if your still availble when I get back. Thanks again its a real bummer having it down

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Yeah man family first hope all is okay. Sounds good, feel free to PM me as well