What would be in your ultimate CMVS?

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Or well, kind of, what should be in mine? I just wanted to bounce ideas off everyone here on what they thought would make an ultimate CMVS system that was as self contained and portable as possible.

I already have a CMVS I built, and while I love it, there are a few annoying factors about it that I would like to improve upon. for reference, this is my current system. These pics are old, I upgraded it to have Component with a better Neobitz encoder and 3D printed a cartridge slot shield to replace the white plastic you can see in that pic, and added some interior RGB pots. I feel like it could be better, plus, the wiring is a mess trying to cram it into that small enclosure.

So I want to make a fresh new one with the latest tech out there. Here's my wish-list so far, see anything I'm missing or should do differently?

Save Support: I'd love to do a slot for Official NeoGeo memory cards (just cause it's cool), but I want to do a MV-1C form factor again and those don't support memory cards, so probably a NeoBiosMasta with VMC

HDMI out: Probably using a NeoVGA and just hide a gutted VGA->HDMI converter in the enclosure. I want this to function and work like a modern console, no special cables and work anywhere, I'll still have RGB for special cases.

RGB Out: I currently have this from an AES DIN-8 on the back and I plan to keep it an option, I love RGB and if I ever get an OSSC I still want it as an option, luckily I can keep this no matter what even with other video out options.

Component video: This might not be possible since the NeoVGA uses the same outputs for VGA and component, I like component for CRT's that support it, but leaving it out isn't a deal breaker.

Internal PSU: I hate wall warts, I hate inline bricks, and I hate when someone else hooks your CMVS up with the wrong 2.1mm barrel jack to a 12v power supply and fries your board, I want to use a standard AC power cord and keep the PSU integrated. You can buy some pretty small AC-<DC PSU's for internal use, plus I have a bundle of old AppleTV psu's that do 5v 7a so I never have to worry about power.

Non wobbly cartridge slot: Not sure if everyone has this issue, but without the original plastic shell the cart can wobble a fair bit in MV-1C boards, enough that if you bump the cart it can cause glitches or crash/reboot. I want to make a better more AES-like cart slot.

Better enclosure: I'll probably go custom on this part, but the one I currently use, while strong, cool looking and ultraportable, it's a nightmare to work on. I don't need my CMVS to be ultra small, and I'd like more room for cable management, and some passive cooling if I'm going to stick a PSU inside the case.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
A pc so I can run mame from it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I was thinking you could sell it? It'd solve all of your problems.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ideally, it would have everything an AES has (memory card slot) plus the benefits of MVS (backup RAM).

I haven't used the Unibios memory card high score saving, but depending on how that works, it could theoretically eliminate the need for the backup ram.

To your point, we need a readily available memory card solution for one-slot boards. Yes, the VMC is very cool and convenient, but I think the demand for SaveMasta memory cards proves that there is still demand for a removable save option, like the original hardware.

Component, s-video and composite are less important now, since that can all be handled by external converters.

We're still waiting on a true HDMI solution for the Neo.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I just wanted to say those sticks look awesome. You could market those on their own?

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I just wanted to say those sticks look awesome. You could market those on their own?
Thanks. They are pretty easy to build, although I'm not really interested in making and selling them. The enclosure is https://www.hammfg.com/part/1456PH1WHCWW?referer=1228 and the sticks+buttons are sanwa. I don't have a drill press, and cutting the 30mm holes otherwise is a nightmare (used a friends drill press when I made mine)

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Ideally, it would have everything an AES has (memory card slot) plus the benefits of MVS (backup RAM).
That was kind of the idea, make the most AES-like CMVS that doesn't depend on exterior stuff to be a fully functional portable console.

To your point, we need a readily available memory card solution for one-slot boards. Yes, the VMC is very cool and convenient, but I think the demand for SaveMasta memory cards proves that there is still demand for a removable save option, like the original hardware.
Partially, I just think it's cool, but unless I want to consolize a 2 slot I'm probably going to have to drop that requirement. While 2 slots are excellent, I just don't want a system that big.

Component, s-video and composite are less important now, since that can all be handled by external converters.
Agreed, component is the only one I still kind of like to have, but even that is kind of going away. Most modern flatscreens don't have it, and I feel like in the future if I'm playing it on a CRT, its either going to be a PVM or have converters for anything I need because going forward the only people who will still own CRTs, are doing so for this exact purpose.

We're still waiting on a true HDMI solution for the Neo.
I wish NeoVGA or the upcoming Vga16 from BeharBros natively did HDMI. I asked them about it and they said it does work great with VGA-HDMI converters, but a single board solution in the NeoVGA style would be best. Ideally if it had a nice pass-through for the RGB lines with some trimmer pots so all video-out could be taken from the same board. Once I get my hands on a vga16 or neovga I'll do some tests with HDMI converters and see if it's worth it. While I own a PVM and prefer to play NeoGeo on that, I want to be able to take the system with me to a friend's place and have it simply be plug and play on anything without carting a bag of adapters/converters and cables with me.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
A pc so I can run mame from it.
already have that, already have a retropie, still think giant clunky plastic carts are cool....I wish I didn't, retropie is such a great all-in-one solution.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
already have that, already have a retropie, still think giant clunky plastic carts are cool....I wish I didn't, retropie is such a great all-in-one solution.

It's all in your head Finch. A Nintendo Switch is a excellent Neo-Geo machine and you could take that shit on the go.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
NeoVGA is still ultimately an all-analog solution, so I wouldn't hold my breath for HDMI there. It's a whole different ball of wax. Someone will have to engineer a way to tap the digital.signal for HDMI.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I bought an Omega a few years back.

I wish the power switch were on the front rather than the back, but otherwise I have zero complaints.