MVS 4 Slot big red - sound distortion from right speaker only from slots 3 and 4

PGorath

New Challenger
When I originally got my 4-slot big red about two years ago I recapped it. Everything sound-wise has been working fine since then until the past few weeks when after being on for about an hour the games in slot 3 and 4 will will have loud buzzy distortion coming out of the right speaker only. It's only slot 3 and 4 and only the right speaker.

I suppose it's possible some of the caps have already gone bad but I'd think that would affect the audio across all the slots or both the speakers. Any thoughts on where I should be looking?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
When I originally got my 4-slot big red about two years ago I recapped it. Everything sound-wise has been working fine since then until the past few weeks when after being on for about an hour the games in slot 3 and 4 will will have loud buzzy distortion coming out of the right speaker only. It's only slot 3 and 4 and only the right speaker.

I suppose it's possible some of the caps have already gone bad but I'd think that would affect the audio across all the slots or both the speakers. Any thoughts on where I should be looking?
Check to make sure the solder on each is correct and that your caps are placed on with the correct polarity

PGorath

New Challenger
Check to make sure the solder on each is correct and that your caps are placed on with the correct polarity

If that was the problem then it wouldn't have worked perfectly this past two years since the recap

NexusX

Astra Superstar
If that was the problem then it wouldn't have worked perfectly this past two years since the recap

That would be correct for the cap polarity. The solder joints can become loose over time though. So just checking your past work is a good start like he said. Reflowing the solder on the caps is a good idea.