Why are serial numbers scratched off MVS Carts?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Why are serial numbers scratched off MVS Carts?

Like what is the purpose of doing this?

Even if you are expunging the stock from your inventory, what is the harm in having a serial number on there?

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
You're only supposed to buy games first hand from a distributor. The distributor knows which games they sold to whom based on the serials. If your game was "caught" on the second hand market, you were breaking your agreement and would thus face a penalty.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Interesting...yes i'm still a big newb...lol.

I tried the forums "Search" feature first before making this thread but nothing came up. Next time i'll just use Google....LOL

Feel free to delete this thread if you are a MOD

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Ask John Hancock. He has a great answer for this in his excellent Neo Geo video he did with Metal Jesus. Bonus: you will get to see his one-of-a-kind MVS in a SNES that took over a year to build!

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Don't give that nimrod free clicks.

Those click ain't free - are you forgetting the incredible investment he made in his CMVS? Sacrifices were made by his wife and children so he could have a one-of-a-kind Neo Geo. Truly a Big Tymer.

In all seriousness. John Hancock's answer for this question is waaaay wrong. He said it's because "in some countries they do not allow products with serial numbers to be sold"

Huh?

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Keep posting.. one day you'll hit the post limit for market access :D

Muhahahahahhaha!

xROTx

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ask John Hancock. He has a great answer for this in his excellent Neo Geo video he did with Metal Jesus. Bonus: you will get to see his one-of-a-kind MVS in a SNES that took over a year to build!

holy shit lmao

NexusX

Astra Superstar

... This made me smile.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I really feel like we're all in purgatory here seeing the same shit over and over again.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I heard one of the Super Potatoes was built, where a serial numbers cemetery was once located. Prices there are a true horror...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Serial numbers are a tool of the deep state. Behind each serial number is a tiny RFID transmitter and microphone. Neo Geo MVS games were typically in public locations so civic-minded arcade operators removed them to protect patrons from government surveillance. Even now, when stored on the shelves of collectors, these games are sometimes referred to as "conversation starters" as a reference to this practice.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
I had to be "that guy"

I see it all the time on the Jaguar forums. Same dumb newb questions every coupla' years.

Oh well, always good to have new people playing and enjoying your favorite systems.