MVS Consolizer v0.1 PCB

D7azJiEXYAEatr8.jpeg
D7bGQnDW0AMWCtc.jpeg

I've ben working on this project while on holiday and the boards just arrived. It's a MVS-specific super gun or "consolizer".

Some features:

• Breakable boards, allowing you to move SCART and power to the back of the MVS.
  • Stereo mod on board (just jumper left, right and center wires on to your MVS revision).
  • RGB pots.
  • Service and test switch.
  • Power jumper allowing you to put a toggle switch on a case.
  • RBG stereo SCART (no composite or mono) as well as RGBS + LR breakout.
  • Coin 1 and 2 buttons.
  • Power LED.

There are a few revisions I would like to make for the next version. What do thinking I could add / change?

Also, if I made a small batch would there be any interest in buying? There's obviously loads of super guns out there in this form, but don't know of any MVS specifics.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
View attachment 54105
View attachment 54106

I've ben working on this project while on holiday and the boards just arrived. It's a MVS-specific super gun or "consolizer".

Some features:

• Breakable boards, allowing you to move SCART and power to the back of the MVS.
  • Stereo mod on board (just jumper left, right and center wires on to your MVS revision).
  • RGB pots.
  • Service and test switch.
  • Power jumper allowing you to put a toggle switch on a case.
  • RBG stereo SCART (no composite or mono) as well as RGBS + LR breakout.
  • Coin 1 and 2 buttons.
  • Power LED.

There are a few revisions I would like to make for the next version. What do thinking I could add / change?

Also, if I made a small batch would there be any interest in buying? There's obviously loads of super guns out there in this form, but don't know of any MVS specifics.

Great work! Boards look good. Any videos of it being setup and finally of it in action?

Last edited:

J-P

NEST Puppet
This looks interesting - I'm sure there would be interest in buying, I'd take one for sure. but when do you think they'll be out of production? There's already quite a few options for general superguns but the small footprint of this is great. Is the video output normalised to NTSC standard?

the Goat

n00b
I was thinking of doing this exact project. But you beat me too it.

I'd be interested in buying one when they become available. I'm also be interested in helping with the development and testing.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Sweet, I'd also have interest in grabbing these boards if you decide to make them available. Best of luck on the project!

Whippy

Banned
I am very interested. I am going to subscribe to this thread. Keep us updated. I would need to add a Jroc encoder to the mix, but that is my problem for not being SCART friendly. Let me know when you have stock if you want a test dummy/paypig.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Did you ever think about maybe switching the scart socket to maybe a MegaDrive1/2 connector just to make that board a little smaller?

Very cool idea. Makes building your own CMVS much easier.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nice! now to see someone put that in a neat looking case.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I’d be interested in one, depending on the price.

Thanks for all the great responses, so far! Here's the biggest problem I'm struggling with: Should I make this true plug and play? Or require that people soldering in for audio?

The pros for going plug n play are obvious (doesn't require the user to solder on to their board), but there are a few downsides: Needs a 12v rail making the board more complex / expensive and restricts to mono only.

Which would you prefer?

For next revision rather than a separate board I'll experiment with the SCART and power jack being on the underside of the board so you slip the cabelling under the MVS.

Did you ever think about maybe switching the scart socket to maybe a MegaDrive1/2 connector just to make that board a little smaller?

I really like that idea. Would make the board cheaper and easier to manufacture too.

Would people generally be in favour of this vs a real SCART connector?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'd prefer it stereo and avoiding the 12v need.

For the scart vs. MD connector, does the second output rgb video + stereo audio? If it does I don't see the problem on switching to that one. On my consolized MVS i have the DIN9 connector plus rca for audio instead of the scart, mainly because scart is quite bulky.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I would prefer solder free (Cant solder for shit).

You could possibly offer both options, A self install kit for those who can and a plug and play for people like me who cant.

As for the video adapter I would not be to fussed either way tbh as long as it outputs stereo and RGB like Hawwa said.

Instead of mounting the power and AV under the board why not keep them separate and have it connected via a JST harness or something so you have more freedom to mount it where you please?

If I was to buy one of these I would pick it up with the intention of mounting it all neatly in a case to properly "consoleize" it.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Instead of mounting the power and AV under the board why not keep them separate and have it connected via a JST harness or something so you have more freedom to mount it where you please?

Same feeling here. Separating the DB15 ports for controllers from the main board would be even sweeter imho.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Same feeling here. Separating the DB15 ports for controllers from the main board would be even sweeter imho.

That would be sweet but easily gotten around with some ribbon cable crimped DB15's as I recently found out when building a supergun :D

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I really like that idea. Would make the board cheaper and easier to manufacture too.

Would people generally be in favour of this vs a real SCART connector?

I'm just under the assumption that most would throw a MV1C and your kit inside a small case and having a MD2 socket would just make it easier with a smaller hole on the case, and shrink the pcb which would leave more room for the person modding to play with.

As far is soldering go's, I'm with Titch. I could solder small basic stuff and keep it somewhat neat but if it's something more advanced it could turn out looking like garbage. Stereo, RGB, and power is pretty much all most need.

For the ports at the back, I break out the audio and video in through hole on the board anyway (see below).

IMG_1056.jpg

So if you want to add RCA / BNC / SCART for a case then it's easily done. Sound like a good solution? I would assume that anyone building their own CMVS would be able to do some simple solder work.

Next revision will move to MD2 still connector (mini DIN?) and MD2 > SCART cable included.

I could also sell an optional power cable extension, with a panelised barrel jack.

I'm still torn 12v / stereo question. In having the board support 12v it would also be able to consolize other JAMMA boards, making it more of a standard super gun. I also think that making this flexible is less important than making it easy to use.

How important is stereo to everyone? BTW it's totally possible to support both, but just adds complexity, size and cost.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This would be great if the price was right. How much of a cost savings is there to just support MVS? This would be great for people who don't have the knowledge or time to build their own super gun.

This would be great if the price was right. How much of a cost savings is there to just support MVS? This would be great for people who don't have the knowledge or time to build their own super gun.

I've not done a full costing yet but hoping to keep the thing under £50 / $65. It would also depend on size of the run. I'll probably open up a preorder after a few more revisions of the hardware.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
This looks great so far. I personally have no problems with doing my own soldering. I also agree with the suggestion to add a DIN connector instead of the SCART one.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Very cool idea! I have never done any soldering but I've got an AES stick with buttons that I'm going to replace with new Sanwa buttons. That might be a good soldering test.