What do you do with bootlegs?

Teluin

New Challenger
Some time ago I bought Super Dodgeball MVS and it was a bootleg (got my money back and bought a real copy). Now that I own an actual copy, dunno what to do with the bootleg. My initial thought is just keep as parts - what do you do with bootlegs?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I dont have any bootlegs but if I was ever to come across one I'd consider using it as a doner to make a Ghostlop or some other proto

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Just use them, or give them away, however if they use original boards, making a conversion of another game could be an option, but you would be changing a boot for another boot, I do not see the difference there.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Keep it, if you sell it you have to clarify that you are selling a Bootleg.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ooh I love these threads 'what should I do?' which always ends up with you doing whatever the fuck you want anyway. Spare us your internal thoughts.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have a few boots, They all play fine so I keep them unless I get a original.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I just play them, i have a bootleg Last Resort I got with a copy of Blazing Star awhile back.

Teluin

New Challenger
I know it sounds altruistic and/or dumb, but I don't believe in bootleg cartridges. Were I to sell the game as a bootleg, someone else might just try to sell as the real thing. I think keeping as backup or as spare parts, or kidchameleon's idea as a donor cart to a non-boot game might be the best way. Thanks guys.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Depends on the kind of bootleg. Some of them were made using original hardware and if this was the case, I'd try and investigate what that board originally was and try to restore it to what it was before.

But that's just me, I'm not the kind to sell things often, I generally tend to buy to keep and if I decide to sell something it's because I don't get any more enjoyment out of it while someone else could.

Besides, I'd always write in the description the full story.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use them for parts. You can make repros of unreleased games.