Screen issues on 4slot advice?

BIGRED

n00b
Hey guys! Looking for some pointers

A few weeks ago I bought a non working 4 slot Neo Geo cabinet. Below are some pictures

Plugged it in and all lights and screen turns on but I've been getting some weird flickering and like solid color with boxes at the top. No coins are counted nothing happens when I push test switch no sound not much besides a flickering screen.

The board was pretty dirty and corroded I cleaned the board up could probly clean it up a bit more looks like someone at some point tried to fix some traces. I removed the battery to check for corrosion didnt see much.

I guess I'm just looking for maybe some pointer or if anyone has had this issue or knows where to start. This is my first project cabinet I'm pretty good with soldering bought some new equipment to test voltages and continuity.

I'm pretty active and will be checking back regularly.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xsWdDw2 - screen

http://imgur.com/gallery/SaFLYpp - when I started to open

http://imgur.com/gallery/tv7N7Fl - clean up fingers and possible trace repair done by someone else.

Really appreciate any advice thanks!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Check the area around the battery for corrosion. Get SMK Dan diagnostic BIOS in there to see if that indicates where the fault might be. My bet is a missing trace due to corrosion.

The flickering is the watchdog kicking in because the CPU is not booting correctly.

BIGRED

n00b
Hey gadget thanks man. Starting to feel I'm in over my head lol removed the battery didnt notice any corrosion going to clean a bit more see if I can find some missing traces.

Will the smk bios give me some idea where to start?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Looks like it is not booting and the watchdog is making it reset repeatedly (hence the flickering it does when it tries to boot). First thing will be to check CPU, CPU memory, and BIOS ROM. The SMKdan bios is a good starting point for this,

BIGRED

n00b
Will it load up on the arcade screen? And give me info? Or do I need to buy a extra peice of hardware?

BIGRED

n00b
Sooo question about SMK Dan I cant seem to find a place to buy the chip? Am I just googling wrong or do I need to burn it myself?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You need to burn it yourself or maybe someone here will be kind enough to do it for you.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Sooo question about SMK Dan I cant seem to find a place to buy the chip? Am I just googling wrong or do I need to burn it myself?

If you cannot find anyone in the states - you can order pre-programmed chips from buyicnow.com. Just get a 27C1024, and there's an option to upload a file and have them program it. SP1 is the file you need. There's SM1 (M1 diag ROM) in the zip on his website too, it might be worth sticking that on a 27C010 and order that at the same time. You can then later use one of your game carts to test out the Z80 side of things etc using that SM1 diag ROM.

BIGRED

n00b
You need to burn it yourself or maybe someone here will be kind enough to do it for you.

Man if someone wants to let me know how much it would cost plus shipping to Oregon I would be elated. I cant seem to find any website that will just burn n ship for me.

BIGRED

n00b
Perfect thanks so much I'll be ordering here soon and will update

Would it be a bad idea to pick up a 1 slot board aswell and test the rest of the hardware?

BIGRED

n00b
Hey goes so update got a diagnosis bios put it in but no change same issue with screen

Thinking of just buying a 60 in 1 and selling this board any other thoughts?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The 60 in 1 has no neo geo games and isn't very good at playing the ones it has. I would try to fix the board you have instead and enjoy a Neo Geo.

BIGRED

n00b
Dont thonknim confident enough to fix this board.

I probly need a conversion cable if I want to put in a 1 slot correct?

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yes, you would need a converter if you want use a jamma board. Something like JNX's Big Red adapter.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Place the broken 4 slot up for sale and purchase a working 4 slot.
BB