Thread: MV1C problem with battery

MV1C problem with battery

I made the battery mod on a MV1C board that I purchased recently, and realise that everytime I turn on the board, no data is store (highscores, unibios config, etc ...)

I did not check how the board was doing presiously with the old stock rechargeable battery.

I use a brand new CR2032 (3,2 V), and still it doesn't work.

I've tried to erase the backup memory (putting all switches ON for 2 minutes, and then turn off and turn on).

Same result.

Today I've checked the voltage, and it's 1,3V (more than half of it's caspacity drained in just 1 day, without using the board).

Any ideas?

pd: I used the tutorial on jamma-nation X
    Last edited by littlecharlie; 05-18-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

This is the problem with the MV1C, the backup ram circuit leaks current which kills the battery.

Every MV1C I've come across has had this issue, I've heard that the C3 in the backup area under the pad sometimes goes bad and holds the circuit open which drains the battery. But I've never tried replacing it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by littlecharlie View Post

Any ideas?

pd: I used the tutorial on jamma-nation X
    Are you using a ML2032 or a CR2032 battery? Have you altered the board in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    This is the problem with the MV1C, the backup ram circuit leaks current which kills the battery.

Every MV1C I've come across has had this issue, I've heard that the C3 in the backup area under the pad sometimes goes bad and holds the circuit open which drains the battery. But I've never tried replacing it.
    But my guess is that something, besides the issue you mention, is wrong. Because with a new battery, it still doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
    Are you using a ML2032 or a CR2032 battery? Have you altered the board in any way?
    It's a CR2032. I followed the jamma nation tutorial, and removed R36, D5 and D6 components (to disable the charging circuit).
    I checked the circuit afterwards, and seems OK.

New Challenger

Is the new battery a good quality one? I ask because once or twice I purchased cheap CR2032 batteries from China (dubious quality of course), sometimes there would be a sharp voltage drop after a couple of days just like it happened to you, then I purchased original Panasonic batteries from mouser.com and never experienced another voltage drop like this.

All I can say is double check the mod.

Angel's Love Slave

I think you'd need to use a much beefier battery to hold a charge on those boards. Something like this.
    Sony PVM Club, Blast City Club, Egret II Club, Neo Candy Club
    WTB: Neo Geo MVS-U4 or MVS-U4/29

Quote Originally Posted by Abelardo View Post
    Is the new battery a good quality one? I ask because once or twice I purchased cheap CR2032 batteries from China (dubious quality of course), sometimes there would be a sharp voltage drop after a couple of days just like it happened to you, then I purchased original Panasonic batteries from mouser.com and never experienced another voltage drop like this.
    I use SONY CR2032. I use them also in other MVS boards (MV1F and MV1FZ) with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    All I can say is double check the mod.
    I'll re-check more deeply, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by daskrabs View Post
    I think you'd need to use a much beefier battery to hold a charge on those boards. Something like this.
    Yep, maybe, will try to find one here.

Another question.

Can you help me locate the backup RAM on the board, and hopefully the pin where the 3V goes?

I've made a screenshot of a video posted on the internet (this is not my board).

-----

Well, i guess it's both CXK58257AM and CXK58257BM.
    According to datasheet Vcc is pin 28 (top left), and should be 5V.

Should the 3V from the battrery go to these 28 pins?
    Last edited by littlecharlie; 05-23-2019 at 02:29 PM.

SHOCKbox Developer
    ram 2 and ram 4 would be the back up ram.
    I'm getting the connection on pin 14 @ chip U3, the HC32
    BB
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 05-23-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by littlecharlie View Post
    Another question.

Can you help me locate the backup RAM on the board, and hopefully the pin where the 3V goes?

I've made a screenshot of a video posted on the internet (this is not my board).

-----

Well, i guess it's both CXK58257AM and CXK58257BM.
    According to datasheet Vcc is pin 28 (top left), and should be 5V.

Should the 3V from the battrery go to these 28 pins?
    It's a bit off topic but I got my MV1C like a year ago and the original battery came with it, working fine and nice looking. I've purchased some batteries like the one in the pic but didn't replace the original one with the gren new ones because I didn't know at the time if it was really mandatory. Would yo go ahead and dismantle the CMVS again to do the battery swap or do you think there's no need for that?

New Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Hawwa View Post
    It's a bit off topic but I got my MV1C like a year ago and the original battery came with it, working fine and nice looking. I've purchased some batteries like the one in the pic but didn't replace the original one with the gren new ones because I didn't know at the time if it was really mandatory. Would yo go ahead and dismantle the CMVS again to do the battery swap or do you think there's no need for that?
    Does your MV1C have a battery holder already? If not then it has the original battery and it's most likely dead by now, no harm in simply removing it to avoid the risk of leaking and thus damaging the board.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Abelardo View Post
    Does your MV1C have a battery holder already? If not then it has the original battery and it's most likely dead by now, no harm in simply removing it to avoid the risk of leaking and thus damaging the board.
    Well it has the original battery but works fine, keeps date, options and High Scores for long (longest I've been without playing was 10 days). Hence the question.

New Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Hawwa View Post
    Well it has the original battery but works fine, keeps date, options and High Scores for long (longest I've been without playing was 10 days). Hence the question.
    If it's working and in good shape I wouldn't worry much about it, once it stops working it's time to pull it out before it leaks.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that and keep an eye on the battery in order to change it before it starts leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEAR View Post
    ram 2 and ram 4 would be the back up ram.
    I'm getting the connection on pin 14 @ chip U3, the HC32
    BB
    I've checked and apparently the diode that was connecting the +3V and the RAMS was not working.
    So I've bypassed the diode, and now the +3V goes to the pin you mentioned on the HC32. Actually, it feeds every RAM on the back up area (not just the HC32).

I thought this will solved the problem, but it doesnt.
    Still the same problem ...

Thread Information