S-Video to HDMI (CD works, Consolized MVS Doesn't)

adaup1

n00b
So I'm guessing that at some point there has been a thread on this, but I can't seem to find one. I'm moving in a couple weeks and can't warrent bringing my large CRT with me. I decided to pick up an S-Video to HDMI converter (linked below). i recognize this is not a top notch device but I don't have the budget for something better.

Anyway, I plugged in my consolized MVS and the picture looks great, with the one catch that it's in black and white.

When I plug in my Neo-Geo CD, the picture is in color. This tells me that it's not necessarily the fault of the cable or the converter, but most likely has to do with the consolized MVS.

The unit I'm using is running Unibios. I tried changing the region but that didn't do anything. To my knowledge, the unit is outputing NTSC.

I also tested the converter with an HDMI computer monitor, and interestingly, got absolutely no picture from that.

If anyone has any suggestions, or even a link to an older thread, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T0WFA4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I think you answered your own question, these types of devices are 99% garbage. Sell a game you don't play and buy a Retrotink. It's the easiest and cheapest way to do what you are trying to do and unlike these Chinese POS it actually works.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
A lot of these convertors aren't great. When I was using one I had to go through three before I got one that worked. Return it and try again, but in order to future proof it you should look into the retrotink or, if you go the RGB route, the OSSC

J-P

NEST Puppet
The consolized MVS (as it's really an arcade unit) is likely to be outputting a 59.1856Hz signal (264 lines) which your TV (or whatever decoder or adapter in that chain) may not like as it falls just outside of the NTSC standard (59.94Hz or 262/263). The Neo CD is probably outputting standard NTSC.

Some CRT's (esp. arcade CRT's) are less fussy about what they'll sync to, but modern displays and adapters (converting analogue RGB or S-Video to HDMI especially) are definitely gonna be more fussy about stuff being closer to 60Hz. The OSSC is expensive, but would most likely solve your issue (or the cheaper RetroTink unit recommended above). Or you can mod the s-video (or probably better, the RGB) on your MVS unit to output at the correct NTSC Hz rate.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Did you verify that the svideo out on the MVS works properly on another TV set without using the converter? No connection with the chroma pin would give you a black and white image as well.