If only these carts could talk...

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Ever wonder what the story is of a well worn MVS cart you receive?

Some of these carts must have had some pretty interesting lives, spending a decade or more in some dingy arcade in a far flung corner of the world.

Anyone ever think about this; or get a cart with a cool story behind it from the seller?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
giphy.gif

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
I was born of a thousand fires burning every synapse and vein in my body, agony.
I was wrapped in a coffin of paper, I knew this was hell.
I was given the briefest glimpse of light, as I was shoved in a dark room.
Mated, raped one could say, forced into another. Electrocuted hours upon hours everyday for 20 years.
I saw the light again one day, just after I was forcefully ejected from my torturer.
it was short lived.
back in my coffin.
7 years I sat. alone.
I felt motion.
I saw light.
a new home.
never mated.
I sit on a shelf.
there are others.
this is the hell of my life.
I am, property... of Rick Dangerous.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I was born of a thousand fires burning every synapse and vein in my body, agony.
Mated, raped one could say, forced into another. Electrocuted hours upon hours everyday for 20 years.
I saw the light again one day, just after I was forcefully ejected from my torturer.
it was short lived.
back in my coffin.
7 years I sat. alone.
I felt motion.
I saw light.
a new home.
never mated.
I sit on a shelf.
there are others.

Bravo!

LOL

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There was a time. A time when the new game was created. It was a joyous time. The game was lovingly crafted by its creators, and put in a dark box. The box was scary and lonely, but the game knew it was going on a journey across vast seas to its new home, where it would spread joy and merriment to the children.

The new game is awoken by a stirring. Someone is opening the box! The game sees light for the first time in several weeks as the older man takes him out and places him into an arcade machine. All the excited boys and girls circle the machine, eagerly wanting to play this exciting new game. Kids would line up and place their hard earned quarters on the machine, and spend hours each day enjoying this game. The game was happy that it was spreading joy. The kids were happy playing this fun new game. The owner was happy watching the kids play, and also happy that it was bringing in money so that he could provide for his own kids.

But after a while the kids didn't come as often. It was okay, the game was a little tired and he could use the rest. He didn't mind that the kids had started playing a new shiny game, but there were still a few that really loved him and still played him frequently, some are even good enough to complete the game in one quarter! Amazing! The game, feeling a little tired but happy, was enjoying his more leisurely life.

Then the day came where the owner pulled the game out of the arcade machine. "I'm sorry, my friend," he said, "but you're not earning anymore. I'll bring you back out once in a while to play." The game spent most of his days in a closet in the back. It wasn't so bad though, the owner would bring him out to play once in a while, the kids would be excited to see him for a while, then he'd go back to the closet.

Then after a while the owner stopped coming in. The game didn't know what was going on, but someone came in and took him and all the other games. A man opened him up, took all kinds of pictures of him. This felt a little odd to the little game, but the way he was being handled reminded him of his time with the creators. Maybe he was going to find a new home, with new kids to play with! Sure enough, a short time later he was put back into the dark box. It was still dark and scary, but the game didn't feel as lonely this time, for he knew that he was going to a new home, and he was ready to spread joy again!

After a short time, the game was once again woken by a stirring of the box, and the game saw light once again, and a man with a round face was peeking back at him. This must be the new owner! The game was excited, and the new man looked happy. Joyous times were upon us once again! The new man took the game out of the box, looking at him carefully. He seemed discouraged that the game had scratches on him, but the game couldn't help that. The man then opened the game up much as had been done before the pictures, and the man seemed happy again after he put the game back together. Now the game was happy that the owner was going to put him back into the game machine!

But to the game's surprise, the man put the game back into the box. It was dark and the game wasn't sure what was going on, but he could feel movement, and it felt like the box was being put on a shelf with other boxes. Perhaps this was like being on the shelf with the original owner, the game thought. He would take me out once in a while and play with me, and we'd have fun, then I'd rest here in the box. That was just fine to the game.

But the new man never came back. The game sat in his dark, lonely box for a long time. Nobody ever opened the box. Nobody showed the game any light, Nobody played the game. There was no laughter of kids to be heard, the only thing he could see was what appeared to be the occasional flash of a camera that was bright enough to show through the slits in the box. It was scary and lonely.

The poor game never saw the light of day again.

J-P

NEST Puppet
But the new man never came back. The game sat in his dark, lonely box for a long time. Nobody ever opened the box. Nobody showed the game any light, Nobody played the game. There was no laughter of kids to be heard, the only thing he could see was what appeared to be the occasional flash of a camera that was bright enough to show through the slits in the box. It was scary and lonely.

Fucking... collectors man. Cool story though bro (but oh so sad).

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I have a lot of old beat up video game stuff, i often wonder what kind of life its had before reaching me. I have a top players golf AES missing the label.. where the fuck does big bear keep getting those??

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I have actually wondered the same thing OP. I found a service sheet inside my cabinet and could tell roughly where in the UK it was. I would love to have pictures of it in the "wild" but that will never happen.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
it was short lived.
back in my coffin.
7 years I sat. alone.
I felt motion.
I saw light.
a new home.
never mated.
I sit on a shelf.
there are others.

Post of the year, right here.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective

SirLynxalot! Good to see you; recognize you from the Jaguar Forum over at Atariage :)

Glad I could be a catalyst for such creativity. We have some great writers on this forum.... I can't see too well Dad, is that Bill Shakespeare over there??!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I try to get as many rental MVS carts as I can. They are more cultured and better traveled than the standard fare.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Ever wonder what the story is of a well worn MVS cart you receive?

Some of these carts must have had some pretty interesting lives, spending a decade or more in some dingy arcade in a far flung corner of the world.

Anyone ever think about this; or get a cart with a cool story behind it from the seller?
With the Yaton carts, you could tell they had spent a lot of time in an arcade somewhere in Japan, accumulating the smell of cigarette smoke, and I don't know what else.
But over time, the smell of my KOF96 has faded.

Last edited:

Teluin

New Challenger
I actually sorta wonder this with my old MtG cards tbh. Which ones were in epic tournaments.

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher

Well played. I got a bit emotional reading that.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I have a Magical Drop 2 with the serial number 000283.

The box says 000284.

Some mysteries are not meant to be solved.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
There was a time. A time when the new game was created. It was a joyous time. The game was lovingly crafted by its creators, and put in a dark box. The box was scary and lonely, but the game knew it was going on a journey across vast seas to its new home, where it would spread joy and merriment to the children.

The new game is awoken by a stirring. Someone is opening the box! The game sees light for the first time in several weeks as the older man takes him out and places him into an arcade machine. All the excited boys and girls circle the machine, eagerly wanting to play this exciting new game. Kids would line up and place their hard earned quarters on the machine, and spend hours each day enjoying this game. The game was happy that it was spreading joy. The kids were happy playing this fun new game. The owner was happy watching the kids play, and also happy that it was bringing in money so that he could provide for his own kids.

But after a while the kids didn't come as often. It was okay, the game was a little tired and he could use the rest. He didn't mind that the kids had started playing a new shiny game, but there were still a few that really loved him and still played him frequently, some are even good enough to complete the game in one quarter! Amazing! The game, feeling a little tired but happy, was enjoying his more leisurely life.

Then the day came where the owner pulled the game out of the arcade machine. "I'm sorry, my friend," he said, "but you're not earning anymore. I'll bring you back out once in a while to play." The game spent most of his days in a closet in the back. It wasn't so bad though, the owner would bring him out to play once in a while, the kids would be excited to see him for a while, then he'd go back to the closet.

Then after a while the owner stopped coming in. The game didn't know what was going on, but someone came in and took him and all the other games. A man opened him up, took all kinds of pictures of him. This felt a little odd to the little game, but the way he was being handled reminded him of his time with the creators. Maybe he was going to find a new home, with new kids to play with! Sure enough, a short time later he was put back into the dark box. It was still dark and scary, but the game didn't feel as lonely this time, for he knew that he was going to a new home, and he was ready to spread joy again!

After a short time, the game was once again woken by a stirring of the box, and the game saw light once again, and a man with a round face was peeking back at him. This must be the new owner! The game was excited, and the new man looked happy. Joyous times were upon us once again! The new man took the game out of the box, looking at him carefully. He seemed discouraged that the game had scratches on him, but the game couldn't help that. The man then opened the game up much as had been done before the pictures, and the man seemed happy again after he put the game back together. Now the game was happy that the owner was going to put him back into the game machine!

But to the game's surprise, the man put the game back into the box. It was dark and the game wasn't sure what was going on, but he could feel movement, and it felt like the box was being put on a shelf with other boxes. Perhaps this was like being on the shelf with the original owner, the game thought. He would take me out once in a while and play with me, and we'd have fun, then I'd rest here in the box. That was just fine to the game.

smIKwHX.gif

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I keep all my carts in a concrete mixer behind my trailer home. Have done so for the last 20 years. It keeps them shiny and from getting stagnant. Like a giant rock tumbler.

Buffi

Zero's Secretary
With the Yaton carts, you could tell they had spent a lot of time in an arcade somewhere in Japan, accumulating the smell of cigarette smoke, and I don't know what else.
But over time, the smell of my KOF96 has faded.

I clicked this thread only to see if there were Yaton references in here.
I bought 10 or so carts from him, and he was legit as fuck. All games had great prices and were original and worked well.

BUT, it looked like someone had just dumped an ashtray in some of them and then left them close to an active volcano or something. Holy shit they were so dirty.
Had to take out all the PCBs and rinse them off, and then dry them in an oven.

Still loved that dude. No idea how he got all those games.